TONS of questions about Tokyo Disney

Let me just start out by saying I'm glad I found this site! I can't believe how little info is out there about TD. Anyway, I have tons of questions but first a little background. I've been to WDW before our next trip is next week (June 21-28) so I kinda know how things work. This trip to Japan came up unexpectedly as a business trip for my husband. I'm just bumming a ride. I've never been to Japan (my husband has) and neither of us speak the language. We will be traveling from July 5-16 and staying in the Shinagawa Prince Hotel. I will be going to the parks by myself while my husband is working Now on to the questions...

1. Will I be safe traveling to the parks by myself? What about staying till the park closes...will I be safe getting back to the hotel?
    2. My husband says the trains are pretty easy to use but will I be able to find my way without speaking the language? It looks like an easy route from our hotel (from the Shinagawa station go to the Tokyo station then to the Maihama station). I would only change trains once right?
    3. Does the fastpass system work the same as WDW? ex: only one at a time etc.
    4. I found this site www.tdrfan.com that has wonderful info. Does anyone else have good places to look?
    5. Are there any good podcasts on TD?

That is all I can think of for now. I'm sure I will think of more! Thanks for all your help.

• Banned User

Re: TONS of questions about Tokyo Disney

1. Will I be safe traveling to the parks by myself? What about staying till the park closes...will I be safe getting back to the hotel?
    Japan is one of the safest countries on Earth. I have never had any problems getting around, even during late hours. No need to be paranoid about that.
    2. My husband says the trains are pretty easy to use but will I be able to find my way without speaking the language? It looks like an easy route from our hotel (from the Shinagawa station go to the Tokyo station then to the Maihama station). I would only change trains once right?
    As far as I know.. yes, only one train change. All signs are bilingual and you should not have to worry about that. But I suggest bringing a train map (Metro, JR etc). Tokyo Station is HUGE! and very congested at time. If you can avoid that station and connect to the Keiyo line at another point, I would try that. If not, then do the Tokyo Station transfer. You probably will transfer from the Yamanote line to Keiyo Line... so to get to TDR, follow the signs to the red "Keiyo Line", but expect a long walk to that platform since it is located the farthest and deepest of all the train lines connecting thru Tokyo Station... But no need to worry, the signs will lead you where you need to go.
    3. Does the fastpass system work the same as WDW? ex: only one at a time etc.
    Yes, for the most part. Usually you are required to wait about 2 hours before obtaining a Fastpass. However, be advised... this is NOT WDW. In order to enjoy all of what TDL have to offer.. you MUST get there early.. I advise being there no later than 45 mins before park opening and take your place in line to enter. You MUST start playing the FP game ASAP after entering the park. Be advised the japanese guests are quite savy about FP and know how to use it to their advantage. When the park opens... they RUN to get Fastpasses, especially for the two favorites at TDL: Hunny Hunt and Astroblasters. At TDS: TOT. It is not uncommon for guests to be in line for over 30 mins to obtain FPs to the most popular rides. On heavier crowded days, most FPs will be gone by 3pm, which is why you must be at the park at opening time to get the most of your time and efforts and also have plenty of time to see TDL's premier shows and parades which are 2nd to none when compared to the other parks. They put WDW's parades and shows to bloody shame. Well... most everything is top notch and makes WDW look like amateur hour.. but you will discover that on your own.. Hehehe.So... as soon as you are able to get the next FP... GET ONE! The time you are able to obtain another FP is printed on the ticket itself.Follow all of the advise above and you will thank me until eternity.
    4. I found this site www.tdrfan.com that has wonderful info. Does anyone else have good places to look?
    Chris' site is great but you get much better information at www.jtcent.com IMHO...
    5. Are there any good podcasts on TD?
    Can't answer that, and if there are any, most probably they will be done by japanese fans, for japanese fans, and in japanese language. One of the reasons why Disney in the USA gets away with murder is because many frequent American guests at WDW have no clue how much better the overall quality at TDR really is. The lack of decent Podcasts about TDR in english is one reason why. TDR's overall quality is impressive and trust me.. after being there... WDW may never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Tokyo Station is HUGE! and very congested at time. If you can avoid that station and connect to the Keiyo line at another point, I would try that.
    That is an understatement. We took the train back to Tokyo station thinking we could get a cab to our hotel more easily from there (our hotel wasn't too far from there) What a walk to the cab stand. It was probably a 10 minute walk. Endless to one little tired 7 year old! Enjoyed the hustle and bustle though.

The other times we used Hatchōbori station to switch (it's the first station after Tokyo) to the Hibiya Line, then switched again to the Ginza line at Ginza as our hotel was on that line. Sounds like a bit of a hassle but it was really straightforward. There is a great tourist map you can pick up which is super helpful for the subway. There were a couple of trains were you had to keep an eye open for the platform names and numbers. But it was a pretty good experience.

You find the map I mentioned here (Tokyo Metro Guide):

http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/index.html

This for finding alternate connections, might be able to help you find some different ways to the Keiyo line from Shinagawa. You might find you are close to another station:

http://www.tokyo-subway.net/english/index.html

• Lost in Wonderland

Shinagawa is a nice and safe area. You'll be safe going from your hotel to TDR.

Japan in general is very safe, but once in a while someone goes crazy and makes the news (There was a recent stabbing in Akihabara.) But those events are very rare, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You should feel safe in Japan; just always be aware and walk with a purpose.

As others have mentioned, the transfer at Tokyo Station from the Yamanote Line to the Keiyo Line is one long walk. Lots of escalators too. But it's safe. I absolutely hate this transfer, but you probably have no other choice.

And JR lines (Yamanote, Keiyo, etc.) are faster than the subways.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    The other times we used Hatchōbori station to switch (it's the first station after Tokyo) to the Hibiya Line, then switched again to the Ginza line at Ginza as our hotel was on that line. Sounds like a bit of a hassle but it was really straightforward.
    I highly recommend this alternative. BTW... the hotel I use for my trips to TDR is only a 5 minute walk from hatchobori, Hotel Universe. Cheap and clean rooms, albeit very small.

Also... FYI.. unrelated to this topic. A new Metro Subway line opened today linking Shibuya and Ikebukuro. Forgot the name already but begins with an F...