Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Intro + Wondering about Attendance, autographs ...

Hi!

I have been enjoying all the threads and trip reports, gathering info for my son who is leaving for Japan -- this Friday!!! I am practically giddy looking at all the cool pictures of the parks.

He will be visiting TDS and probably TDL during his trip, as well as visiting USJ while in Osaka for a few days. Most of his trip is in Tokyo.

I am hoping he will have a blast but naturally, that is peppered with a little worry as he has never travelled without us (the parents) and certainly not to Asia!!! So, he is breaking new ground.

Anyway, one of the things we loved when visiting Disney properties when the kids were younger, was to buy an autograph book and pen and the youngins' would run about the park collecting character autographs. As we were reminiscing about that, my now giant teenage kid and I were wondering if that is also something guests do in Japan, and then we went on to wonder if the autographs are in katakana or english....

Anyway, so glad to get all the great info and tips here...wondering how busy DisneySea will be on June 30 and then TDL on July 7. I see from another member's post that there is a Tanabata event going on - how should that affect attendance??

Thanks all & all the best,

Kelli

Re: Intro + Wondering about Attendance, autographs ...

Meeting the characters was more like mugging the characters. Apart from Mickey and Minnie, who had obvious handlers (and lines) it was a bit of a free for all for everyone else. You really had to be impolite to everyone else to get the characters attention. My son wasn't crazy about this, used to waiting his turn I guess. So we didn't stop to say Hi to very many characters, though we couldn't resist all seven dwarfs on our way out. Something you never see at WDW. There weren't very many people there, it was just that people would be pulling them in all directions, all at the same time trying to get photo's.
    There were huge lines for Mickey, Minnie etc at Toontown, so I imagine that was more organized queueing. Duffy Bear had a nice organized line too at Disney Sea.
    We didn't get autographs, so I would be interested to know how they sign. I would imagine they would have to sign the official signature. To be honest I didn't even notice people getting autographs!
    It is worth tracking the characters down though, as they do have lots of one you just don't see at any of the other parks.
    You're son will have a blast. There ares some great attractions, DisneySea is just awesome!

Thanks for the info ReggieB.

OH! I forgot to ask about credit card use. I have read that Japan is very much a cash based economy and credit card usage is somewhat limited to, say, large department stores, hotels, etc.

So, can you use American Express at the parks? I know he will want to purchase t-shirts, etc. so this is a consideration for the amount of cash to bring in.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Kelli

• Loves Mickey!

Hello Kelli!
    I know that as a parent you will still be a little worried but Japan is very safe, so even though it is his first time traveling without you and visiting Asia he should be fine. I've never done character autographs but am fairly sure they are in English. I think both of the days he is thinking about should not be extremely crowded because they are both mondays. He would be visiting the last day of the Tanabata event but I think most people would go to see it on the weekend and the bigger crowds will probably be the day after for the new summer events and the opening of the Disneyland Hotel. However this is my first time being here for the Tanabata event so it's just a guess. I'm going on the 2nd with my mothers group though which is a wednesday so I'll let you know how the crowds are that day.
    Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 06-25-2008 at 07:33 PM.

• I need my Disney fix NOW!

I used Visa at the parks (for meals and buying stuff) and had no problems at all.
    Disneyland - Apr 1998
    Walt Disney World - Dec 2001
    TDR - Jun 1996, Apr 2000, Apr 2002, May 2008, Jun 2009
    HKDL - Dec 2005, Dec 2006

• Lost in Wonderland

Tokyo Disneyland always has characters out in the Main Entrance (around the Mickey floral before entering World Bazaar) and in Fantasyland. In Fantasyland you will sometimes find characters that were just in the parade (typically Princesses/Princes).

Princes & Princesses all speak English, and sign in English. I think they enjoy meeting "foreign" guests from the US/England/etc. I would assume Mickey Mouse and other characters sign in English too. (I've never done the autograph thing.)

In front of the park, they usually have lines for the really popular characters like Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. But the other characters (Cinderella, Aurora, Robin Hood, etc.) just pick out a spot and the crowds form around them/follow them. They don't have lines, but people sort of take turns. However, you do need to jump in when it's roughly your turn, or someone else will and you'll end up waiting longer. My suggestion is to talk to the character (even in English) saying hello and asking to take a picture or sign an autograph book. That way the character will give you your turn.

In Fantasyland there usually aren't any organized lines for characters, and there are more Guests in the area, so it's more of a crowd (slight mob) than in front of the park. There the characters move around quite a bit to help dissipate the crowds.

I'm not an expert on characters, but from my fading memory I've seen...
    In the front of the park:
    Alice, Fairy Godmother, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Aurora
    In Fantasyland:
    Snow White, Snow Prince, All Seven Dwarfs, Alice, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Tweedles, Wendy, Peter Pan, Mary Poppins (red coat costume), Cinderella, Prince Charming

Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    Thanks for the info ReggieB.

So, can you use American Express at the parks? I know he will want to purchase t-shirts, etc. so this is a consideration for the amount of cash to bring in.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Kelli

last month on my trip i and was able to use my credit card for everything on Disney property, with the exception of Outdoor vending stuff like popcorn and snack foods.. Most of the other places I went to in Tokyo outside of Disney only took yen.

As for the t-shirt ya.. they don't really have much of a selection of clothes, but if you want a dangly thing for your cell phone your in luck! they seem to have an endless supply of those! I really wanted to buy a sweatshirt that said Tokyo Disney on it but it did not exist... instead I found a pretty nice watch in Disney sea that says Tokyo Disney Resort.

Hi everyone!

My son just called from INSIDE the Tower of Terror already and it was only 10:20 am in Japan.

Whoa! That's pretty cool.

He sound very excited and happy as did the giggly crowd in the background of our call .... I think he will be having an awesome day.

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Kelli

• Banned User

Who is your son again???

And if he is at TDS... yes, he will have a ridiculously fabulous day at the finest 2nd gate Disney park ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Who is your son again???

And if he is at TDS... yes, he will have a ridiculously fabulous day at the finest 2nd gate Disney park ever built.
    Well, he's...Ethan. And yes he is at TDS and somehow he managed to ride ToT in 20 minutes of park opening. And window shop on the way there...

Yay!

Kelli

• Banned User

In regarding to getting a picture with Mickey. Do they have people by them that can take pictures for you?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLR_FAN View Post
    In regarding to getting a picture with Mickey. Do they have people by them that can take pictures for you?
    Yes. TDR has photographers staffing various areas of the park, including some of the meet and greet character areas for popular ones like Mickey..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora
    Well, he's...Ethan. And yes he is at TDS and somehow he managed to ride ToT in 20 minutes of park opening. And window shop on the way there...
    Don't think I know Ethan.. but he must have done the opening time TOT stampede since he got on the ride so quickly. Still not sure that anyone could window shop and ride TOT just 20 minutes after park's opening.

Quote Originally Posted by DLR_FAN View Post

If I remember correctly from my trip quite a many years ago, Mickey can be found over at Mickey's house at Toontown. There are CMs with him, so you can get someone to help take yr photo. However, there is usually a long queue to get inside the house, where he is.

Minnie can be found over in minnie's house nearby. The queue is not as long, but still significant.

The rest of the disney characters are regularly mobbed, and while the CMs are usually with them, it will be difficult to get yr turn and get someone to take them for you.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by samshio View Post
    If I remember correctly from my trip quite a many years ago, Mickey can be found over at Mickey's house at Toontown. There are CMs with him, so you can get someone to help take yr photo. However, there is usually a long queue to get inside the house, where he is.

Minnie can be found over in minnie's house nearby. The queue is not as long, but still significant.
    In addition.. Mickey, Minnie and some other characters have designated photo/greet spots at the entrance to the park, near the floral Mickey area before going inside World Bazaar. Be patient. Lines for a photo with Mickey can be rather long and slow moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Meeting the characters was more like mugging the characters.
    Haha, that made me laugh. It's true, reminds me of when my mum tried to get Donalds attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast