• The 70th Matt Named Super

TDR in Spring Questions

WOW! I bought my air over the weekend, so I'm finally going to Tokyo Disney Resort! Of course, I now have questions and would really appreciate any help you guys might be able to provide! I'm so excited just thinking about this trip! I will arrive in Tokyo on March 24th 2009 and depart on April 4th. We chose that time because we hoped we could see cherry blossoms. So now come the questions...

A) Is this an OK time to visit the resort & Tokyo in general? Weather? Crowds?

B) For the past few years TDL has shown Cinderellabration and not Dreamlights, with the 25th will we get Dreamlights this spring? I really want to see Dreamlights!!

C) Any idea on an opening for Monsters inc?

D) Anything that I should know about & not miss at TDR (I know about Hunny Hunt) or in Tokyo?

I know that in the next few months I will have many more questions and look here for advice! Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Supermatt70; 06-30-2008 at 06:37 PM.

• Banned User

Re: TDR in Spring Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Supermatt70 View Post
    WOW! I bought my air over the weekend, so I'm finally going to Tokyo Disney Resort! Of course, I now have questions and would really appreciate any help you guys might be able to provide! I'm so excited just thinking about this trip! I will arrive in Tokyo on March 24th 2009 and depart on April 4th. We chose that time because we hoped we could see cherry blossoms. So now come the questions...
    Yes, you should be able to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom.

Weather should be mostly pleasant, with a bit chance of rain. Crowds could be so so... as you are visiting at the very end of the 25th anniversary and many fans may want to go back on those days to catch the event one more time before it ends. Also... if I am not mistaken.. the end of March means spring break for school kids, which will impact the attendance numbers... so plan accordingly in the event of crowds. Be there early early and start using FP right away so you can maximize your time at the parks.

B) For the past few years TDL has shown Cinderellabration and not Dreamlights, with the 25th will we get Dreamlights this spring? I really want to see Dreamlights!!

"Cinderellabration: Lights of Romance" was retired this past spring and won't be returning again so I believe you will get to see Dreamlights when you visit. It's worth every yen you pay to go into that park. Do not miss it.

C) Any idea on an opening for Monsters inc?

They keep saying it will open after the 25th anniversary... but rumors keep circulating that it may be unofficially opened early in 2009, however, OLC has never been too keen on opening attractions much in advance of targeted official opening dates... so it remains a mystery me thinks.. but you may get lucky.

D) Anything that I should know about & not miss at TDR (I know about Hunny Hunt) or in Tokyo?

Best advise it to get to the park before opening time and stake a place in line to enter, and take advantage of Fastpass thru the day so you can get as much done as possible and have enough time to do the wonderful shows and parades that are the biggest, and most lavish of them at any Disney parks on Earth. This is where TDR excels greatly. Take in any special event perfomances.. like shows related to the "Grand Finale" of the 25th anniversary. DO as much as possible, especially at TDS. Soak it all in.
    In the city, look for the cherry blossom viewing areas.. which are usually found at popular parks or temple/castle grounds. Your hotel concierge might be able to offer suggestions. I think Ueno park is a favorite spot for cherry blossoms viewing.

I know that in the next few months I will have many more questions and look here for advice! Thanks in advance for any help!

Any more questions and we'll have to charge you a fee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Yes, you should be able to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom.

Weather should be mostly pleasant, with a bit chance of rain. Crowds could be so so... as you are visiting at the very end of the 25th anniversary and many fans may want to go back on those days to catch the event one more time before it ends. Also... if I am not mistaken.. the end of March means spring break for school kids, which will impact the attendance numbers... so plan accordingly in the event of crowds. Be there early early and start using FP right away so you can maximize your time at the parks.

"Cinderellabration: Lights of Romance" was retired this past spring and won't be returning again so I believe you will get to see Dreamlights when you visit. It's worth every yen you pay to go into that park. Do not miss it.

They keep saying it will open after the 25th anniversary... but rumors keep circulating that it may be unofficially opened early in 2009, however, OLC has never been too keen on opening attractions much in advance of targeted official opening dates... so it remains a mystery me thinks.. but you may get lucky.

Best advise it to get to the park before opening time and stake a place in line to enter, and take advantage of Fastpass thru the day so you can get as much done as possible and have enough time to do the wonderful shows and parades that are the biggest, and most lavish of them at any Disney parks on Earth. This is where TDR excels greatly. Take in any special event perfomances.. like shows related to the "Grand Finale" of the 25th anniversary. DO as much as possible, especially at TDS. Soak it all in.
    In the city, look for the cherry blossom viewing areas.. which are usually found at popular parks or temple/castle grounds. Your hotel concierge might be able to offer suggestions. I think Ueno park is a favorite spot for cherry blossoms viewing.

Any more questions and we'll have to charge you a fee!!!

Although end of march is the normal cherry blossom season, it varies from year to year. so you need a bit of luck as well

Ueno park is very hot for hanami, so you'll see a lot of office workers "booking" a place with their blue mats when you visit the park.

I like to go to the imperial palace moat area. It looks beautiful with the cherry blossoms.
    Last edited by samshio; 07-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.

I went around this time, this year. Yes it did seem crowded at Disney, however get there early, use the FP's you'll be fine. It is a school break for the Japanese.

It didn't seem especially busy in Tokyo itself, other than at Ueno Park for the cherry blossoms. The blossoms where amazing. I went to the park twice, once when they were just starting to come out, and a second time as they were reaching their peak. Ueno Park was great, there were lots of street vendors, selling all sorts of interesting things, and it was very interesting to see the folk that had been sleeping out under the trees (completely sloshed) There is a very good toy store right opposite Ueno Station, if you are into collectible stuff.

The weather was actually pretty good, had one day of really heavy rain. I think it's a bit changeable at that time of the year. Could be cold, could be hot. We had some really nice days.

Don't miss some of the more unique rides at TDS, it's pretty unique all round to be honest. I saw a fair bit of Splash Mountain in TDL (son is a big fan) that pretty much epitomized how bright and shiny all the rides are kept. It looked brand new, compared to the torn and broken bits at WDW.

One of my favorite things I saw in Tokyo, was the department store Mitsukoshi. Two words - Food Hall. Wow, it was amazing. Never seen a food hall quite like it. Fresh produce, cooked dishes, pastries, chocolate, bento boxes, sake everything.. The other kind of sad thing I had to do, was get a platform ticket and take my 7 year old son to watch the Bullet trains come in and out of Tokyo station. It was actually an interesting people watching experience, though I think unless you are train mad, it's not really a must do!! His other favorite thing was a Shabu Shabu restaurant (right opposite Mitsukoshi, in Nihombashi area) I couldn't even begin to explain it, very interesting experience! By the way I was very impressed with the food at TDR.

Anyway those are my thoughts!

Thanks for the suggestions so far...a couple more questions...

The TDR hotels and those within the resort complex (Hilton, Sheraton etc) all seem so expensive, more than $600 a night, are there other hotels close by that you might recommend I look into? Or should I just book the hotel in downtown Tokyo we'll be staying at for the other part of our trip and train it every day to TDR? Is there a more budget friendly way to be close by TDR?

Does anyone have any experience with JTB/Sunrise Tours?

Thanks again for your help here!!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far...a couple more questions...

The TDR hotels and those within the resort complex (Hilton, Sheraton etc) all seem so expensive, more than $600 a night, are there other hotels close by that you might recommend I look into? Or should I just book the hotel in downtown Tokyo we'll be staying at for the other part of our trip and train it every day to TDR? Is there a more budget friendly way to be close by TDR?

Does anyone have any experience with JTB/Sunrise Tours?

Thanks again for your help here!!!

you can try hotels.com, although I can't seem to get a quote for Mar 09. I could get quotes for November though, so I think it's just too early.

On the official hotel site, you could only book til dec.

the current rates in nov is around US 220, although I'm sure you are able to get hotels around there that are cheaper.

• Banned User

Budget hotel about 14 mins away from TDR by JR train.. is the Hotel Universe.
    http://www.hotelu-kayabacho.com/english/index.html

Also, there are other options like the MyStays motel next to TDS but they may not be that cheap due to the proximity to the resort.

What about train passes? We are only traveling in & around Tokyo (TDR & Kamakura), so what kind of rail pass should we get? I would prefer not having to buy a ticket at every station or every day, but I don't know if that's what's best? Any options on rail passes from you guys? Thanks!

• Banned User

What about train passes? We are only traveling in & around Tokyo (TDR & Kamakura), so what kind of rail pass should we get? I would prefer not having to buy a ticket at every station or every day, but I don't know if that's what's best? Any options on rail passes from you guys? Thanks!
    Check this page in the JR site.
    http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/index.html