Tokyo Disneyland Hotel

Here's my review of our March 2010 stay at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, excerpted from my trip report:

We checked in before the park opened and were given inactive room keycards and a map to our room location. We were told that the key cards would become active after the 4:30pm check-in time. They will only do this if you give them a "local" phone number on which you can be reached if things change. We assured them that they could reach us on our US cell phones.

Another thing that happened when we checked in was that we were offered several types of park passes not available on the TDR website or to the general public. These were:

2-day Park Hopper: ¥11,600
    3-day Park Hopper:¥14,500
    4-day Park Hopper: ¥16,600

I wish I'd known about these ahead of time because we wouldn't have locked our schedule in to be all day at each park for the first 2 days. However, I have heard that this is just an occasional offer and they might not extend it.

We went up to the room and tried the door with our key card starting at about 4:28pm. When it still wouldn't open at 4:34pm, I wandered the halls til I found a bellhop and asked her for help.

Magically, at 4:37pm, our key worked and we got into our opulent park-view room—Disney officially calls it a Standard Superior Room (Park Grand View) (5th-6th Floors). It was practically a suite, with a little hall, a huge main room, a giant shower/tub room, the vanity area, and a separate toilet room.

The bathroom had a soaking tub and a hand held/stationary shower—no need for a curtain cuz the whole room acted as a shower!

Soon-to-be-stolen toiletries

A year's supply of slippers for the whole family!

I don't think you're s'posed to take these…

This was the absolute coolest amenity in the room, and when we got one at all three Disney hotels, we began to wonder if maybe fruit is a delicacy or in short supply in Japan…?

There was even a finger bowl!

I sorta feel like we did our Disney hotels backward by starting with the newest. Before, I'd always thought Mira Costa would be my favorite, and then the Disneyland Hotel, and then the Ambassador. But after actually staying in all three, the order got kinda mixed up. Because it's older, Mira Costa's rooms turned out not to be as large or as nice as Tokyo Disneyland's. On the other hand, the Ambassador's rooms turned out to be much nicer than I'd expected, probably because I had this preconceived notion that the Ambassador was going to be weakly themed and generic like the Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel in California. More on that later… back to the Disneyland Hotel!

I was really impressed! I am not a huge fan of Victorian décor, but it's very tasteful and understated at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. And the guest amenities more closely mirror those at the American Disney hotels—like the little sundries shop where you could get refrigerated meals and snacks, and the guest laundry room. Neither Mira Costa nor the Ambassador had these. The laundry turned out to be the biggest deal because I had been banking on washing all our clothes halfway through our trip. Unfortunately, I didn't find out that none of the other hotels had a laundry room until we'd checked into Mira Costa (be glad you didn't have to sit next to us at any time in the following weeks!).

The only thing that disappointed me about the hotel was the "Park Grand View." We'd booked so last-minute that it was the only room type left, except for actual suites. Now if I'd bothered to look at a map of the resort beforehand, I would have seen that the hotel does not sit over the entrance to Disneyland like it does in Paris and is all the way behind the monorail station. But I didn't, so I was expecting the Park Grand View to be some fantastic view down Main Street (OK, again, forgetting that there is a ROOF over Main Street!... I was kinda distracted in the weeks leading up to the trip!).

Instead, we saw this:

With zoom:

OK, admittedly, it's not like our Dumpster-view room at Wilderness Lodge. But given the choice, there is no WAY I would ever again pay hundreds of extra dollars a night just to see a monorail station and some roofs with a tiny castle in the background. And this is coming from someone who considers the phrase "The hotel is just for sleeping between park-hopping" to be sacrilege—I am all for nice amenities and nice views! At Mira Costa, I would splurge for the park view. Here, I would save my pennies and take whatever is cheapest—you're still in the nicest hotel at the resort!

• TDR and Japan fan

Re: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel

thanks this review is very helpuf we will be staying 4 nights at a peter pan room
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

SO you are saying even the room was ready, they won't let people in before 4:10? Did you see any housekeeping people while you were wandering in the hallway? Were they still cleaning the rooms around 4 in the afternoon??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Wow thanks for the review. TDR looks FANTASTIC. Its always been my favorite place on Earth (not kidding, my parents were married there, and i had my first bday there) for some reason. CANT WAIT TO GO IN SUMMER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    SO you are saying even the room was ready, they won't let people in before 4:10? Did you see any housekeeping people while you were wandering in the hallway? Were they still cleaning the rooms around 4 in the afternoon??
    4:30, correct. Your key simply does not work before then. There were no housekeeping people still cleaning the rooms—I guess it just one of those strict policy things the Japanese like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
    thanks this review is very helpuf we will be staying 4 nights at a peter pan room
    Ooh! I hope you come back and post pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Wow thanks for the review. TDR looks FANTASTIC. Its always been my favorite place on Earth (not kidding, my parents were married there, and i had my first bday there) for some reason. CANT WAIT TO GO IN SUMMER!!!!

Oh wow! I would love to see your parents' wedding pictures at TDR!

• TDR and Japan fan

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Ooh! I hope you come back and post pictures!
    Of course I will try to cover all the details !
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

You can keep the slippers... . They wont charge you for them, I am keeper of all things disney so i put all the stuff in my bags and they would replace them everyday