Thread: Hotel MiraCosta

Hotel MiraCosta

Here's the part of my trip report that talks about our stay at Hotel MiraCosta. The only thing I should add is, there is NO guest laundry room at this hotel.

We woke up early so there would be time to check out of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and into Hotel Mira Costa and still have 45 minutes or an hour to wait in line before Tokyo DisneySea opened. Checkout went very smoothly (except for the part when I momentarily stopped breathing as I signed a bill for more money than I'd ever spent on a single night in a hotel EVER). We were able to leave all our luggage (and our jackets—what were we thinking?!) with Bell Services to transfer over to Mira Costa. From there, we went to catch the monorail to Tokyo DisneySea/Hotel Mira Costa using the free 3-day monorail passes given to us by Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

I ran to the hotel to check us in and grab breakfast at Mira Costa's sundries store.

OK, I know it looks huge in this pic, but I was surprised how cramped the lobby was. The ceiling is high, but the circumference of the rotunda is small. Also, the place reeked of cigarette smoke, something we hadn't noticed at Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. Maybe cuz it's such close quarters?

As I checked in, I was offered passes for us to use Mira Costa's private entrance into Tokyo DisneySea—completely unexpected because the Disneyland Hotel won't let you use park-entrance privileges until the morning after you check in—but we couldn't use them because I couldn't call my husband at the park entrance to get him to hop out of line and meet me. Another thing about check-in: I couldn't get them to give us monorail passes for longer than 2 days, even though Tokyo Disneyland Hotel gave us 3-day passes for a 1-night stay. I was trying to get coverage for our whole trip, since the last night would be at the Ambassador and, I assumed, not include monorail passes because it's not on the monorail (now however, I'm not so sure—they may still give them out since there's a station on the other side of the mall from the hotel).

After I checked in, I located Mira Costa's sundries store, which turned out to be about 1/4 the size of the one at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. It had no refrigerated food and slim pickins in the packaged food department.

Our Room

This time, our key cards worked a few minutes before 4:30pm. We had what Disney calls a Porto Paradiso Side Superior Room Harbor View. The room was laid out identically to the one at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, but with a shorter hall. The shower room also wasn't quite as nice, but MiraCosta is 7 years older.

Please excuse all the flaming orbs of light in all these pictures—I had to monkey with the contrast in Photobucket to get the rest of the room to show up!

More soon-to-be-stolen toiletries!

I will never need to buy slippers again…

And more free fruit!

Spa price list

I'm not sure if all the rooms at MiraCosta are smaller than those at the Disneyland Hotel or if it's just that we were in a different category of room. Either way, holy CRAP was our view magnificent!

We were basically right over the archway that leads into the park. I think this is our room:

The décor had only the slightest Disney touches, which was fine by us but may disappoint some. Here's the detail on the big carved mirror:

Mount Prometheus erupts every hour on the hour.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. You can't beat it for convenience to the park. I was just a bit spoiled by the nicer, newer amenities at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel—I think if we'd stayed here first I would have been over the moon about the place!

I'll come back and add to this thread after I get to the part of my report about using the hotel's pool facilities.
    Last edited by lurkyloo; 06-23-2010 at 05:46 PM.

• TDR and Japan fan

Smile Re: Hotel MiraCosta

Very cool pictures, rooms are about the same, although us was a triple room

I really liked this door

sorry for invading your thread
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

• Minion

Re: Hotel MiraCosta

Thank you for the review. I believe you stayed in the exact same room I stayed in 3 years ago. I'm making a return trip to the MiraCosta and TDH in a few months, so it's always nice to see how the hotels are doing.

I agree that the TDH seems newer and more touched up, but the MiraCosta is still my favorite of the three resort hotels. It may not have the largest rooms or the most spacious public spaces, but I still feel that it is the most elegant and tasteful of the Disney hotels in terms of architectural design.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Thank you for the review. I believe you stayed in the exact same room I stayed in 3 years ago. I'm making a return trip to the MiraCosta and TDH in a few months, so it's always nice to see how the hotels are doing.

I agree that the TDH seems newer and more touched up, but the MiraCosta is still my favorite of the three resort hotels. It may not have the largest rooms or the most spacious public spaces, but I still feel that it is the most elegant and tasteful of the Disney hotels in terms of architectural design.
    Did you notice the cigarette smoke as well, TDR_Fan? Otherwise Mira Costa seems great.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Did you notice the cigarette smoke as well, TDR_Fan? Otherwise Mira Costa seems great.
    In one of my rooms, yes. But it was a smoking room, so I kind of expected it to. As for the public spaces, I did not notice any smoke at all. But I visited during a slow season, and the hotel was not fully booked (though I'm almost positive there's no smoking allowed in public areas). Like the original poster mentioned, the lobby can get very cramped when it's busy. The rotunda is very high and gives a false sense of spaciousness; the actual seating area is quite limited and a bit too cozy for my tastes. It's still a gorgeous and amazingly detailed lobby though, despite those minor complaints.

• Minion

I almost forgot to mention. The best part about staying in a park facing room at the MiraCosta is that you are constantly immersed in the atmosphere of Mediterranean Harbor. You can just leave a window slightly open and have all the ambient sounds and background music pour in all day.

Here's an idea of what it's like (not my video, though the view is almost identical to the one I had last trip).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU5OqtVEWq8&feature=related"]YouTube - ????????? ????????????? BGM[/ame]