Thread: Aquariums?

Aquariums?

I'm heading to TDR in May, and am going to do a side trip to see an aquarium--mainly to view the whale sharks. I hear that Yokohama has a really good aquarium and that was where I had planned to go, since it's just a train ride from TDR, but that Okinawa has an awesome one (but far and expensive to get to from Tokyo). While I'm researching travel options, anyone ever been to either and can give any recommendations? I've already ruled out Osaka and Toba aquariums. I'm looking to only make this side trip a one or two day (counting travel). Thanks.

• Banned User

Re: Aquariums?

Well.. I have only been to the Osaka and Nagoya aquariums and they are both OK. Have not been to the ones in Yokohama or closer to Tokyo, so I can't offer an opinion... Heck! I have not even been to the Aquarium next door to TDR (where the huge ferris wheel is at) and I think it's called Rinkai... or something..like that. It's only one train stop away from TDR.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    I'm heading to TDR in May, and am going to do a side trip to see an aquarium--mainly to view the whale sharks. I hear that Yokohama has a really good aquarium and that was where I had planned to go, since it's just a train ride from TDR, but that Okinawa has an awesome one (but far and expensive to get to from Tokyo). While I'm researching travel options, anyone ever been to either and can give any recommendations? I've already ruled out Osaka and Toba aquariums. I'm looking to only make this side trip a one or two day (counting travel). Thanks.

The only whale sharks in japan that I know of are in okinawa and osaka.

the nearest aquarium to TDR is Tokyo Sea Life Park (Kasai Rinkai Suizokuen), ||| TokyoZooNet - Zoos in Tokyo |||, is a nice 1/2 day visit. like TDLFAN said, it's just a 1 stop train ride away.

Thank you for that info. I got my notes mixed up somewhere in my research, and after further investigation Yokohama does not have whale sharks--so you are correct. Now I just have to figure out an easy/affordable way to get to Okinawa.

• Banned User

Or you can go to the Osaka Aquarium.. they have whale sharks in their main tank and they are HUGE! Plus as an added incentive, you are a short boat ride away to Universal Studios Japan.

• Super Genius

Try this one
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.