Would like your thoughts on our November trip please

Hi everyone - We're planning to visit TDR in November (our last visit was over 10 years ago). Our preliminary plan was to arrive in Tokyo on Sun, Nov. 14th and leave Sat. Nov. 20th. We figured we'd take it easy on Sunday and then spend 4-5 days at TDR with the off day spent maybe at the Ghibli Museum, shopping, or searching for great ramen. I'm hoping that you may have some opinions on:

1) whether that week is good? I was hoping to catch early holiday decorations, but realized that Braviseamo would be over. Is it worth it to go earlier and catch Braviseamo?
    2) what day would it make sense to do the non-TDR activity? I'm still trying to figure out the multi-day ticket system.
    3) hotels - we booked the Tokyo Hilton Bay at 20,000Y, but I'm thinking of switching over to the Miracosta or the Disneyland Hotel (if available) mid-stay to get that ultimate TDR experience. What day might be best to move - maybe Wednesday?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still reading through trip planning advice and trip reports on Mice Chat - thanks for all of the great info!!

sandy

Re: Would like your thoughts on our November trip please

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstress View Post
    Hi everyone - We're planning to visit TDR in November (our last visit was over 10 years ago). Our preliminary plan was to arrive in Tokyo on Sun, Nov. 14th and leave Sat. Nov. 20th. We figured we'd take it easy on Sunday and then spend 4-5 days at TDR with the off day spent maybe at the Ghibli Museum, shopping, or searching for great ramen. I'm hoping that you may have some opinions on:

1) whether that week is good? I was hoping to catch early holiday decorations, but realized that Braviseamo would be over. Is it worth it to go earlier and catch Braviseamo?
    2) what day would it make sense to do the non-TDR activity? I'm still trying to figure out the multi-day ticket system.
    3) hotels - we booked the Tokyo Hilton Bay at 20,000Y, but I'm thinking of switching over to the Miracosta or the Disneyland Hotel (if available) mid-stay to get that ultimate TDR experience. What day might be best to move - maybe Wednesday?

sandy
    Your mileage may vary on all this, and there are others here who can give you great advice, but here's my take:

I would chose holiday decorations over Braviseamo. Perhaps we're jaded, but we referred to Braviseamo as the "Lawn Sprinkler Meets the Barbeque Starter Show". Of course everyone's tastes are different, and the shows we saw were followed with the "because of weather conditions this show was modified" anouncements, but we enjoyed The Legend of Mythica far more.

Keep in mind multi-day passports are designed for consecutive day use (if you skip a day you lose it). So if your plan is for 5 days in the parks, the least expensive ways always include the 4-day passport e.g. a 4-day passport plus a 1-day would cost 20,800 yen, while a 3-day and 2-day passport combo would cost 22,900. If you're only going to the parks for 4 days, we found Monday much busier in the parks than Friday (this was also true in Disneyland where I worked for many years).

We booked the Mira Costa sandwiched between stays at the Sheraton Grande. We checked in at the Resort Welcome Center (downstairs) got our keys and our luggage was delivered to our room. On our switch to the Mira Costa, we check our luggage will bell services at the Sheraton and they delivered the luggage to the Mira Costa where it was waiting for us at check-in. We went to the Welcome Center (upstairs this time) where we got our complimentary monorail passes. We still had to check in after 3:00 at the Mira Costa. When we returned to the Sheraton we checked our luggage with the Mira Costa's bell services and the luggage was waiting in our room at the Sheraton when we checked in. So switching hotels is relatively easy.

Your stay at the Mira Costa will allow you to use the hotel's "private" entrance to the park where, although not like a magic morning at DL or WDW, will get you much further into the park and closer to claiming the Fastpass of your choice. You'll also get a monorail pass for the length of you stay plus 1 (stay one night, get a 2 day monorail pass). You also can make priority seating reservations for the in-park restaurants on the English language site a month in advance for the day(s) you're staying at the Disney hotels (including the Diamond Horseshoe & Polynesean Terrace).

Hope this helps.

That helped alot! The way multi-day passports are used makes more sense to me now. I'd never considered checking into the Tokyo Bay Hilton, then into a TDR hotel, and then checking back into the Hilton. I'm looking into that right now, although the challenge seems to be getting into the Mira Costa itself once we hit the 6 month mark. Your explanation of how you moved your luggage was very helpful too and I think it'll come in handy. I think it'll all work out - so much that I saw that airfares had come down about $500 from the last time I checked so I bought my plane tickets yesterday. Thanks so much for your help!!
    sandy

• You have much to learn...

First, yes- the 4 day park hopper is the best value- 1 day at TDS, 1 day at TDL & two days park hopper option. The single day passes are fairly high in price- but if you want an extra day- it's worth it- but it will be either TDL or TDS.

As far as the Hilton goes- I've always stayed there- but you should play around with dates when you book them- You can get rates as low as 12,800 - 14,000 per night- but you may have to book nights separately. I would go to the Hilton main website- choose the Hilton @Tokyo Bay- and search for room rates. Sometimes the per night rate is based on the actual night of arrival. If you arrive on Fri, Sat or Sun- you most likely will get rates of over 20,000 per night- but if you arrive on weekdays & do the pre-pay option- rates I've seen were as low as 12,800. But the pre-pay option can't be changed or cancelled- that is the only problem.

If you arrive on Sunday- I would try to book the one night on 11/15- then try the rates for other nights starting on the next day 11/16- you may see them go down- So you possibly may pay 20,000 for the first night and much less for additional nights- try booking weekend nights separately from weekday nights- just make sure you choose the same type of room so you don't have to change rooms.

You have to play around with the site a little trying different arrival/departure dates- but saving you up to 6,000 a night would be worth it.

Christmas would be in full bloom then-all decorations would be up the week before & all shows should be playing- so you won't miss out.

Friday or Saturday may be your best bet to go into Tokyo- Saturday would be much less crowded in the city- but will be a zoo at TDR- I usually save my trips into the city on weekends- but- if you're like me- you may want to spend your last days at TDR.

If you have any further ques- you can always PM me- I'll be there the week before & most likely traveling home 11/14 or 11/15.

• Just another Disney fan..

Just so it is clear on the rules how multi-day passports can be used...

On multi-day passports, the first two days are single park per day tickets that you must designate which park you will go to. However, you do not have to go to two different parks on those first two days. You choose to designate TDL for both days or TDS for both days. The restriction is you can't parkhop.

Thanks so much for your help. I managed to reserve 3 nights at the Mira Costa (Venice side) sandwiched between stays at the Tokyo Bay Hilton, but will keep checking the Hilton website to see if I can get a cheaper rate as suggested. I'll need to do more reading to figure out which park to designate for my multi-day pass though.

Another question: I'll be checking into the Mira Costa on Tuesday afternoon, but plan to make Tuesday my first day at either TDL or TDS. If I buy a 4-day pass at the Hilton, could that impact my access or any of the privileges I might get by staying at the Mira Costa (like using the "private" entrance)?

Thanks,
    sandy

• You have much to learn...

I'm not familiar if the passes are different at the resorts- but one time Fukai had posted that he was given the option when he stayed at the Ambassador for a 4 day hopper pass. I don't think this is offered at the Hilton. I haven't stayed at the main Disney owned resorts yet to see if their admission media differs from the ones you can purchase at either the main gates or the other official- non Disney hotels.

I would assume that to use the entrance in the Mira Costa- you would need proof of staying there- like a room key. I really don't know if a ticket purchased at the Mira Costa is different or not- so maybe someone else could help with that.

I know we have entered/exited thru the Mira Costa entrance- but have never tried it at park opening. I have heard that busy times there have been lines in the hotel as well lining up well before park opening.

Unless someone else could offer a suggestion- I would still go for the 4 day pass once you arrive- since it would actually wind up costing you more in the long run if you were to buy a 1 or 2 day pass while staying at the Hilton- then buying a 3 day pass for Mira Costa stay. I don't know how many days you plan to go to the parks in total. I also wouldn't recommend buying a starlight or after 3 pass either since you're better off just getting the 4 day. I've tried different combos of passes and something like getting a 4 day would cost less than getting, let's say a 3 day & starlight pass- I would just use the first day of a 4 day pass- even if I'm entering the park late in the day, my first day.

Also, BravaSEAmo will have closed well before November, in preparation of the new Fantasmic!
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

In regard to the early entry while staying at the MiraCosta, it doesn't matter what ticket you buy and where you stay before or after. We stayed at the Hilton for seven nights and then at the MiraCosta for our last night. On check in at the MiraCosta we were handed little slips of paper telling us about the early entry and stating that we were guests at the MiraCosta. We used them for early entry to Disneyland the next morning, which was a big help
    Next trip September 2013

Past trips:
    May 2010 TDL and DisneySea
    September 2006 TDL and DisneySea

Dec 2005 DL
    June 2003 DL
    Dec 2002 WDW
    April 2002 DLP
    Dec 2001 DL
    Nov 2000 WDW
    Oct 2000 DL
    Oct 1997 WDW
    April 1994 DL

When we checked into the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel we were told we couldn't use the early entry privileges on the day of check-in. But then, just like Mellywell, when we checked into Mira Costa, they gave us credentials for getting into Tokyo Disney Sea "early" that very morning. ("Early" meaning they let you walk into the park 15 minutes ahead but hold you at ropes positioned at either end of Mediterranean Harbor.)

• will-o-the-whip

Are the parks crowded in mid-November during the weekdays?

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Are the parks crowded in mid-November during the weekdays?
    Based on Japanese crowd prediction website, here are the expected crowd level. (8 max crowd level to 1 being pretty much empty)

11/8 - 5
    11/9 - 3
    11/10 - 3
    11/11 - 3
    11/12 - 4
    11/13 - 8
    11/14 - 6
    11/15 - 5
    11/16 - 3
    11/17 - 3
    11/18 - 4
    11/19 - 4
    11/20 - 7

Mondays are more crowded than Fridays.

Also, many people here suggest to use the hotel prices to predict the crowd level.

• Resident of the Caldera

I've found that the prices on the Hilton have gone up, and while Jedimaster's trick worked for me a few years ago, I haven't been able to get a room rate under 16,000 yen per night without pre-paying in dollars for the whole thing. I don't want to do that, so it costs me 20,000 per night (no meals). Theoretically one should be able to get a room at the Ambassador for 28,000 per night during certain parts of the year, and it would be worth the roughly $100 difference to upgrade to the Disney hotel if you can spare the change.

And, yes, when I stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel last time (can't recall if it was last spring or the year before) they were selling four-day park hoppers for an extra charge. They were being sold only at the three Disney hotels, not at the Official Hotels. I think Joe mentioned that this was some sort of trial for a limited period. At the time, I remarked that even though we paid the extra money for the 4-day park hopper, we did hop the first two days! It's so deeply ingrained in my park-going behavior in Tokyo to go to only one park the first two days, that it seemed "wrong" to do otherwise. Also, it may have something to do with the fact that on your first day in each park you have so much to do for the first time on that trip, that you're busy there and don't feel the need to hop.