Is visiting in January crazy?

Hi all!

I'm planning a week-long vacation in January and am torn between Japan and Europe. A big factor for me would be getting to visit Tokyo Disney Resort. I've already been to Disneyland Paris, so really it's a comparison between a non-Disney trip (likely to Italy) or a Disney (plus sightseeing) trip to Japan.

I've been reading lots of the posts, but still have a couple questions:

1. Are both parks up to a full operating schedule following the earthquakes? Looking at the operating schedule it looks like they are both currently open 8-10 and open 10-7 in January.
    2. Is it crazy to go in January? As you see, the hours are cut down--I'm hoping that means the crowds are down as well. We are looking at the week of January 15th and hoping there are no Japanese holidays that week or terrible closures for refurbishment.
    3. Is the weather manageable? A little cold (and snow) I can handle--but blizzard conditions would be too much for this California Boy.

Thanks for any replies! I know enough to understand the ticket structure (we would probably do the 3 day ticket) and have read about the long lines prior to opening (we should plan on being there at least an hour before opening) and that the stores don't stay open past closing time like they do in the States--but any other tips are welcome! I've never stayed on-property for any Disney park (I can't justify the premium cost)...so will likely look for a good spot near but on property.

Thanks again

Brer Dan

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Is visiting in January crazy?

Hi, BrerDan,

Sorry about not seeing this earlier...

Here's my take.

1. Yes. Pretty much back to full schedules for a January.
    2. Not crazy. Crowds are down since Jan/Feb are cold. Weekends are still bad (busy) though. Also refurbs are typically scheduled.
    3. Very little chance of snow in Tokyo. But it'll be cold (and at TDR it's the damp cold which I have a hard time w/).

Quote Originally Posted by BrerDan View Post
    Hi all!
    . . .

1. Are both parks up to a full operating schedule following the earthquakes? Looking at the operating schedule it looks like they are both currently open 8-10 and open 10-7 in January.
    2. Is it crazy to go in January? As you see, the hours are cut down--I'm hoping that means the crowds are down as well. We are looking at the week of January 15th and hoping there are no Japanese holidays that week or terrible closures for refurbishment.
    3. Is the weather manageable? A little cold (and snow) I can handle--but blizzard conditions would be too much for this California Boy.

. . .

• Resident of the Caldera

I wonder if he went and where?
    Damn cold in January, but looking at Deep Disney it's amazing how short the lines are for attractions. I was there once in February and it did snow at the park, which was fun.

Hi folks! Thanks for the replies. I am so, so, so sorry for not responding. Some major problems came up at work and we had to postpone (we did get in a nice long weekend at Yosemite--but that was it). I thought I had posted....but when I looked just now, I see I hadn't