Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    26

    Late Night Airport Transfer

    Hey folks,

    Having a bit of an issue figuring out how my friend and I are going to get to our resort from Narita this May. We're staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and our flight gets in at 8:30PM. Neither of us will be checking bags for the flight from LAX.

    I was all prepared to take the JR Narita Express to Tokyo and do the transfer to Maihama, but I'm dismayed to see how early those trains stop running. Same goes for the Airport Limousine, which has an even more, ridiculously early final bus.

    I don't know how long customs/immigration will take, but we're obviously trying to completely avoid the pricey Tokyo cab services. I don't think the last Keisei train is late enough either.

    Any suggestions of what we can do?
    Last edited by pli1018; 01-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    128

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    I did look into the Hyperdia time table and I see some ways to get from the airport to Maihama station at that late time. You're looking at either 60 or 90 minutes in travel time for roughly 1100-1200 yens per person. Hyperdia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan. . Enter your date, time you think you'll be out of immigration, start point as Narita airport terminal 1 or 2 and end point Maihama.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    Hey folks,

    Having a bit of an issue figuring out how my friend and I are going to get to our resort from Narita this May. We're staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and our flight gets in at 8:30PM. Neither of us will be checking bags for the flight from LAX.

    I was all prepared to take the JR Narita Express to Tokyo and do the transfer to Maihama, but I'm dismayed to see how early those trains stop running. Same goes for the Airport Limousine, which has an even more, ridiculously early final bus.

    I don't know how long customs/immigration will take, but we're obviously trying to completely avoid the pricey Tokyo cab services. I don't think the last Keisei train is late enough either.

    Any suggestions of what we can do?
    Very simple.
    1) Take the KEISEI LIMITED EXPRESS train from Narita Airport to Funabashi station. 45 mins or so travel time. Make sure you are on the LIMITED EXPRESS train because the Rapid and Local trains make MORE stops and take longer to get to Funabashi. DO NOT take the JR train from Narita Airport, as it does not go to Funabashi.
    2) At Funabashi, get off Keisei. Follow signs to JR Train. Its a 3 minute walk from the Keisei station to JR FUNABASHI station.
    3) From JR FUNABASHI, take Sobu Line (yellow train) one stop down to NISHI-FUNABASHI. 3 minutes travel time.
    4) At Nishi-Funabashi station, get off and go two levels up to Musashino Line (orange train) platform, bound for TOKYO station.
    5) Once on the Musashino Line..Maihama Station (TDR) is only 12 minutes away from Nishi-FUnabashi.
    5) Once you arrive at Tokyo Disney Resort MAIHAMA station, you can take the Disney Resort Line Monorail to Bayside Station, which is in front of the Hilton Hotel.

    Total travel time takes about 1:40 minutes and costs less than 1100 yen per person one way. Just make sure you buy your Keisei Tickey at Narita Airport to Funabashi. (aprox 800 yen per person). Then buy your connection JR ticket at JR Funabashi station.. and I recall from JR Funabashi to Maihama to be only 210 yen per person. Signs are in both english and japanese and you just can not get lost. Most of these train run until approximately 1AM. But do embark on your train trip to Tokyo Disney Resort as soon as you have cleared Customs and Immigration.

  4. #4

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    26

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    But according to the Keisei timetables, the last Limited Express train to leave Narita Terminal 2 departs at 9:34PM. Do they actually run later than that?
    Last edited by pli1018; 01-20-2013 at 08:31 AM.

  5. #5

    • Just another Disney fan..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Near "The Original"
    Posts
    837

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Check Hyperdia. According to what it says there are later trains.

    Hyperdia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan.

    The time table you shared also show later trains. They are just not the Limited Express.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    But according to the Keisei timetables, the last Limited Express train to leave Narita Terminal 2 departs at 9:34PM. Do they actually run later than that?
    The Keisei Limited Express may only run until that time but if you miss it, you could try taking the Keisei Rapid or Local, but those trains make more stops and take about 20-25 minutes longer to get to Keisei Funabashi station than the Limited Express. But It can be done. However, if your flight arrives on time and you have no checked baggage to collect at the bag claim belt, then you should be able to make that last Keisei Limited Express.

    And thanks Roger55 for sharing that link. I will add to my favorites since we are planning to visit Tokyo Disney Resort again later this year.

  7. #7

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    Hey folks,

    Having a bit of an issue figuring out how my friend and I are going to get to our resort from Narita this May. We're staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay and our flight gets in at 8:30PM. Neither of us will be checking bags for the flight from LAX.
    I don't know the answer to your query, but congratulations on your ability to pack light. It's an art form lost on most travelers, and it makes travel so much easier, even when you are crossing oceans.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

  8. #8

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    26

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Thanks all for the advice!

    If customs & immigration doesn't take long I will be ecstatic as I will catch the express trains. If not, I'm confident with everyone's guidance. I'm a seasoned New Yorker so hopefully that will help us through all the transfers and crisscrossing train patterns!

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    Thanks all for the advice!

    If customs & immigration doesn't take long I will be ecstatic as I will catch the express trains. If not, I'm confident with everyone's guidance. I'm a seasoned New Yorker so hopefully that will help us through all the transfers and crisscrossing train patterns!
    My husband has flown into Narita Airport several times on business with only a roller bag in hand. He says it only takes him on average 25 minutes from the moment he gets off his flight, to the time he exits customs and immigration, and he says that arriving at later hours of the day will be faster because most international flights arrive by 6pm and the later you arrive, the shorter the customs lines usually are.

    One thing that I should clarify is this.. On the Keisei line, there are two tracks.. The MAIN LINE, and the AIRPORT ACCESS line. You want to take the Keisei LIMITED EXPRESS train (if possible) on the MAIN LINE, until you arrive in Funabashi where you have to connect to the JR Train. Again DO NOT take any of the trains on the Airport Access line.. as those go primarily towards downtown Tokyo and the mistake will cost you more money and take you longer to arrive into Tokyo Disney Resort.

    Is that info clear enough? If you have additional questions, please ask. Note this routing worked for us, as explained by local friends. For our party of four, we paid approximately $40 to travel one way from Tokyo Disney to Narita airport. Can't make that trip cheaper than that.

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    26

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    My husband has flown into Narita Airport several times on business with only a roller bag in hand. He says it only takes him on average 25 minutes from the moment he gets off his flight, to the time he exits customs and immigration, and he says that arriving at later hours of the day will be faster because most international flights arrive by 6pm and the later you arrive, the shorter the customs lines usually are.

    One thing that I should clarify is this.. On the Keisei line, there are two tracks.. The MAIN LINE, and the AIRPORT ACCESS line. You want to take the Keisei LIMITED EXPRESS train (if possible) on the MAIN LINE, until you arrive in Funabashi where you have to connect to the JR Train. Again DO NOT take any of the trains on the Airport Access line.. as those go primarily towards downtown Tokyo and the mistake will cost you more money and take you longer to arrive into Tokyo Disney Resort.

    Is that info clear enough? If you have additional questions, please ask. Note this routing worked for us, as explained by local friends. For our party of four, we paid approximately $40 to travel one way from Tokyo Disney to Narita airport. Can't make that trip cheaper than that.
    Yes! Very clear, thank you! Does it make sense to also buy my JR ticket at Narita or should the main concern just be catching that last Keisei train? The Disney monorail ticket requires a different, non-JR ticket, right? If that's not the case, I'll just buy two rides. We won't be taking any trips away from the Disney resort until Day 5 of our trip, so there's not really a point to getting a multi-day pass for the JR just yet.

    Please tell me if my decisions are poor!

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    Yes! Very clear, thank you! Does it make sense to also buy my JR ticket at Narita or should the main concern just be catching that last Keisei train?
    NO. Your priority is to buy the Keisei ticket and get on the next available Keisei Limited Express train on the Main Line, because it takes 45 minutes to travel to FUNABASHI. So go to Keisei machine and by the 720 yen (per person) ticket and get going. Once you arrive at Keisei Funabashi station, get off there and follow signs to JR Train. Its a 3 minute walk through the second floor of the building located between the keisei and JR stations. You will see others doing the same connecting walk as it is a connecting point for many locals. Once you walk over to and arrive at the JR Train Funabashi station, buy the 210 yen (per person) ticket to arrive at Maihama (tokyo Disney station). Remember you take the JR SOBU LINE (yellow) train one stop down to NISHI-FUNABASHI station. Once at NISHI-FUNABASHI, the JR Musashino Line (orange) train is on the 3rd level. Take the Musashino train bound for TOKYO station, and 12 minutes later, you will be at Tokyo Disney Resort. It's easy but you need to pay attention to the overhead signs and make sure you catch the train going in the proper direction. If in doubt, ask anyone, they will point the way. Japanese people are very helpful..even if they don't understand much english. Trust me when I say it's very easy to do. We did this train trip with two kids and rollerbags in tow from Disney to Narita and we were fine and we saved a lot of money as opposed to taking the airport bus.
    The Disney monorail ticket requires a different, non-JR ticket, right? If that's not the case, I'll just buy two rides. We won't be taking any trips away from the Disney resort until Day 5 of our trip, so there's not really a point to getting a multi-day pass for the JR just yet.
    Yes you need a different ticket to the Disney monorail. The ticket to ride the Disney Line monorail can be bought at the Resort Gateway station next to Maihama. If you're going to visit Tokyo Disney for 2 or 3 days, I would advise you to buy the 2, 3 or 4 multi-day monorail ticket which will save you money and will allow you unlimited rides for the duration of the ticket (eg- 3 day ticket = 3 days of unlimited rides). You can also ride the complimentary Disney Cruiser bus from the front of the parks to the Hilton hotel.
    Refer to this link and click on Disney Resort Line for specifics...
    Disney Resort Line | Tokyo Disney Resort

    NOTE: only the electronic fare cards named SUICA and PASMO can be used for Keisei, JR Trains and Disney monorails. Those are rechargeable plastic cards and used widely by locals.

    Please tell me if my decisions are poor!
    I don't think your decisions are poor. It would be smart to save money to get from the airport to Tokyo Disney resort. If you follow the overhead signs, you should be OK. However, your flight has to arrive on time or else you will have to make alternate plans...but avoid taxis at all cost if possible as they are very expensive in Tokyo.

    One more thing: train schedules vary, depending on the day of the week. Monday through Fridays follow a set train schedule. But Saturday, Sunday and national holidays follow a slightly different schedule, so know what day of the week you will arrive in Narita airport so you know what train timetable to rely on.

    IMPORTANT: once you have a train ticket and use it at the turnstyle to acess the train stations, you must keep the ticket because you need it to exit the station as well..so keep the train tickets in a safe and accessible place during your travels.
    Last edited by Aotphks; 01-25-2013 at 09:51 PM.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    About JR Train tickets.. If you buy the JR Rail pass before arriving in Japan, then YOU MUST activate it at the Narita Airport JR Trains Office before you leave for Tokyo Disney resort. Otherwise skip the JR office and head for the Keisei since you are coming in late in the day.

  13. #13

    • Just another Disney fan..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Near "The Original"
    Posts
    837

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    About JR Train tickets.. If you buy the JR Rail pass before arriving in Japan, then YOU MUST activate it at the Narita Airport JR Trains Office before you leave for Tokyo Disney resort. Otherwise skip the JR office and head for the Keisei since you are coming in late in the day.
    You don't have to activate it at Narita if you aren't going to start using it right away. The clock starts on your 7 or 14 day rail pass from the day you activate it regardless of what time of the day you do it.

    You can activate the JR Rail Pass in the Tokyo metro area at... Narita airport, Haneda airport, Tokyo Station, Ueno Station, Shinjuku Station, Shibuya Station, Ikebukuro Station or Shinagawa Station.

    There are 46 other locations throughout Japan where you can activate a Japan Rail Pass.

    Stations with JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices

  14. #14

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    26

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    While we're on the subject of transportation, and both of you seem quite well-versed in the subject, would you mind reviewing my transportation plans and sharing your opinions on them?

    May 6th: Arrival - Kesei->JR->Disney Cruiser->Hilton (720Y for Keisei, 210 Y for JR, Cruiser free)
    May 7th - 10th: Tokyo Disney parks- 4-day Monorail pass (1,400Y)
    May 11th - 13th: Day trip to Mt. Fuji area, day exploring central Tokyo, day trip to Nikko- 3-Day JR Kanto Pass (8000Y)
    May 14th: Another day exploring central Tokyo (3500Y One-Way Suica & N'EX Pass)
    May 15th: Departure - Hilton->Cruiser->Maihama->Tokyo->Narita (Cruiser free, use remaining JR credit on the Suica card and the N'EX one way)

    I've yet to figure out if a JR single ride pass functions the same way as a New York City single ride pass. Say I take the train from Maihama to Tokyo and then from Tokyo to Shibuya, would that all be covered under the same fare or are transfers not included?

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    227

    Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

    Thank You so much Roger55 for clarifying the JR Rail pass information. I have never purchased one and was told it needed to be activated at Narita Airport upon arrival, so thanks for the great info and for correcting my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Disney TV: Late Night of March 12th
    By Monorail Man in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 12:41 AM
  2. Unknown late-night music @ French Market
    By System Error in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 08:52 AM
  3. Who is the best late night talk show commedian?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
  4. Late night Lounge....
    By figment1986 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •