Thread: Ghibli Museum

Ghibli Museum

Hey folks,
    My early May trip is rapidly approaching and I'm in the midst of wrapping out the final little pieces of it.

Everyone has highly recommended the Ghibli Museum, which I absolutely want to see. I know you can purchase advance tickets through JTBUSA, but I'm dismayed to see that the price of the ticket is nearly double the advertised amount.

JTB (and the official museum site) lists a single adult ticket for 1000, which currently coverts to around $10.40USD. However, when I inquired into getting tickets, they were $14USD plus a $5 handling fee. I understand the handling fee, but altogether that's almost double the price. I luckily won't have to pay the shipping fees as the NYC office offers pickup service.

I know you can purchase tickets from Lawson's convenience stores in Japan, but I don't know about availability. Does anyone have an experience with getting tickets or advice? I'm looking to go on Monday, May 13th in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Re: Ghibli Museum

I believe you should be okay with waiting until you get to Japan to purchase tickets at Lawson since May 13th is a weekday and not a national holiday.

I think this thread is pretty helpful: buying ghibli museum tickets from lawson - japan-guide.com forum

Great news! Thank you!

No advice, only some pixie dust to send your way, hoping your trip is fabulous. Visiting one of the Holy Grails of Animation is bound to be a special experience.

Lynne
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• You have much to learn...

I can't remember at all, but is there a Lawson's store in either Ikspiari or at the Maihama station? I've been to the resort several times but never really paid attention.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I can't remember at all, but is there a Lawson's store in either Ikspiari or at the Maihama station? I've been to the resort several times but never really paid attention.
    There is not a Lawson's in Maihama Eki or in Ikspiari. There are two NewsDay convinience stores in Maihama Eki. One inside the gates and one right near to the TDR Welcome Center.

Southwest of Disorder, aka Santa Cruz, CA

We did the Ghibli Museum last week. We bought our tickets/tour though Viatours for the afternoon tour (the guide was excellent). We met close to Shinjuku and took the train - I think there were 12 of us.

My only advice would be to get an early entry time. We only had a few hours there and it wasn't enough time to wander and really let the place work its magic.

The 'short' they show in the theater there is worth the price of admission alone. Then there's the gift shop - we spent a small fortune :-)

The Ghibli themed bus stop and bus are great!

Since there isn't a Lawsons near the resort, does anyone know where there is one? I'm familiar with Tokyo Station if there's one near there- I've been in Tokyo dozens of times, but never really took notice.

I wanted to purchase my tickets for the museum there and take the train to there. The tours sound good- but I've seen them starting at 6000yen and that only covers admission and transportation.

I'd rather get the tickets in advance and then go on my own if anyone has any other advice.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Since there isn't a Lawsons near the resort, does anyone know where there is one? I'm familiar with Tokyo Station if there's one near there- I've been in Tokyo dozens of times, but never really took notice.

I wanted to purchase my tickets for the museum there and take the train to there. The tours sound good- but I've seen them starting at 6000yen and that only covers admission and transportation.

I'd rather get the tickets in advance and then go on my own if anyone has any other advice.
    If you are familiar with Tokyo Station then you can go to the Lawson's outside of the station on the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station. If you go out the Yaesu south exit where the JR Bus terminal is, walk across the street towards the Yaesu Book Center and you will find a Lawson's.

Map of Yaesu side of Tokyo Station

If you don't know... the Lawson's logo is the blue logo inbtween the Seven Eleven and Circle K logos on the map.
    Last edited by Roger55; 04-11-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Roger55, I'm a little familiar with it, but I'm sure I'll find it. I usually travel with my friend, but will be on my own this time so I'm a little nervous. I'm trying to plan everything out before I leave for Japan next weekend.