Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Transformers Ride coming to Universal Studios Hollywood and Singapore

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

“Transformers” are taking shape at Universal’s theme parks.

Universal Parks & Resorts has paired up with Hasbro and DreamWorks Pictures to produce a “Transformers” attraction at its parks in Hollywood and Singapore set to open in early 2011.
    Ride will use 3D-HD footage with special effects, robotics and track to place humans in the middle of a war between the friendly Autobots and evil Decepticons, who can turn into cars, trucks, planes and other vehicles.
    U declined to disclose just how much it will spend to produce the new attraction, but company spent around $40 million to build “The Simpsons Ride,” which opened this summer at its parks. “Transformers” could come with a higher pricetag.
    The attraction will first open at Universal Studios Singapore, to be based at the multi-billion-dollar Resorts World at Sentosa in the country, before opening in Hollywood.
    The Sentosa resort is skedded to open its doors in 2010.
    “Transformers” will replace the “Backdraft” and special effects soundstages on the lower portion of U’s Hollywood park. Construction begins after Labor Day.
    “‘Transformers’ was introduced in the United States in 1983 but traces its roots to Asia,” said Tan Hee Teck, CEO of Resorts World at Sentosa. “Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Megatron are familiar names to Asian audiences, who grew up with the robot toys and love the movie.”
    Deal continues U’s long relationship with Steven Spielberg, who serves as a creative consultant to the theme park division, and has helped develop “Jurassic Park: The Ride,” the “E.T. Adventure,” “Jaws” and “War of the Worlds” attractions.
    It also expands U’s deal with Hasbro to turn the company’s toy brands into pics.
    Landing “Transformers” should prove a coup for U, considering theme parks are dependent upon new attractions to lure visitors. Company’s “Simpsons Ride” this summer helped boost biz at a time when congloms were worried that guests would stay home due to high gas prices and souring economy.
    Spielberg exec produced 2007’s “Transformers,” which earned $708 million worldwide, and is doing the same on the sequel, which Paramount will release June 26, with Michael Bay once again at the helm.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Transformers Ride coming to Universal Studios Hollywood and Singapore

I soooooo saw this coming! A next generation Spider-Man attraction is the ONLY way to have made this into a realistic attraction. Can't wait!!!!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• or CBF

Wow! What a welcome addition this is going to be for USH.

With all of three rides in the park, a Transformers ride is going to be a HUGE hit. Not to mention that it replaces a way outdated movie tie-in (seriously who here has seen Backdraft and is younger than 20-30) and a IMO ridiculous Special Effects Stage show.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Oo-de-lally

This sounds great. I hope that they take their time in building this ride. I hope it has a lot of detail. I can't wait.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Circle of Ancients

I hope it's going to be awesome. Are those 2 soundstages big enough for a Spiderman type attraction though???

Comparison of the buildings at both USH and IOA (Spiderman)

The Backdraft and Special Effects Stages, along with the Mummy ride building (for some perspective)

Can somebody (CoasterMatt) confirm if the Backdraft and Special effects stages are just the ones in front, or if it is included in the stage directly behind??? And if not, what is in that soundstage behind, and could they concievably use it for Transformers???

The Spiderman ride building from IOA, which I believe is bigger than the Mummy show building in Hollywood

This is what thestudiotour.com had to say about it:

Transformers-themed ride Coming Summer 2011
    This new dark ride-style attraction is expected to replace Backdraft and the Special Effects stages on the Lower Lot. It's not known if the soundstages which house those attractions will be replaced, or if they will be used to house Transformers ride. The concept artwork shows a ride vehicle-based experience, with massive animatronic robots, pyrotechnics and laser effects. It's believed a similar technology to that used for the acclaimed 'Amazing Adventures of Spiderman' at Universal Orlando will be used to integrate 3D digitally projected material. More news to come!

• My Boss Has No Idea

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Are those 2 soundstages big enough for a Spiderman type attraction though???
    My question as well... I would hope the space needed would be bigger than the space used for the mummy (ET recycled), after all, USH Mummy ride is soooo much smaller that USO

Either way, this is going to rock!! Can't wait to hear what's going to replace Kong

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I soooooo saw this coming! A next generation Spider-Man attraction is the ONLY way to have made this into a realistic attraction. Can't wait!!!!
    The 10/13/08 announcement:
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1044...tribution.html

made today's pretty much an afterthought waiting to be put on a press release.
    Amblin' isn't still on the lot after all these decades for nothing!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

That new ride sounds cool! I really do have to admit that I'll legitimately miss the Backdraft attraction. It's one of our favorites. Oh well. When they took out ET and the Wild Wild Wild West Show, that was the end of Universal being closer to the top of my list.

Woo Hoo !

we get it here first in Singapore. Opening day, here I come

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm anticipating this very much as well. Just thought... riding in a vehicle through a flaming warehouse recycled from Backdraft...

I think Backdraft would work fine if incorporated to the studio tour... I have more ideas about this but I think I posted them before.

Definately more excited about this news than the simpsons ride.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 10-20-2008 at 10:42 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I'm worried about the space, i know its too early to say things but I'm just worried. Since Mummy took over E.T., i was dissapointed that it was shorted and not better than the 1 in Florida. I hope there is space and good timing 2 make this Transformers ride cool, fingers crossed!
    I WANT DL 2 BE MY PERMANENT HOME!
    1 DAY...EVEN IF I BECOME A TEACHER...I WOULD LIKE TO WORK AT DL & HOPEFULLY BE ONE OF THE CHARACTERS TO PERFORM DURING FANTASMIC!

Blog Entries

I'd love to see something like this in Florida maybe next to Men In Black someday. (I'm not certain if there's enough room to build it there. I know we wouldn't get it for a while though with all the money being thrown at Potter right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I'd love to see something like this in Florida maybe next to Men In Black someday. (I'm not certain if there's enough room to build it there. I know we wouldn't get it for a while though with all the money being thrown at Potter right now.
    Take out Fear Factor near MIB and the area between Jaws. There is room.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

If they're closing Backdraft and Special Effects Stages after Labor Day 2009 to begin construction at Universal Studios Hollywood, that leaves only two attractions (not including The Universal Experience) in the Lower Lot for two years. And once The Transformers Ride is done in 2011, there will be only three major attractions down there. How exactly are they going to compensate for that?
    Last edited by edge4004; 10-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast