Blog Entries

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit is ruining the Universal skylines

I've been afraid of this. I found these pictures over on a thread at ioacentral. They were posted by Mookie.

If I can see this thing while riding Jaws I'll be incredibly annoyed. It would be one thing if it was at least a good looking coaster, but those have to be some of the ugliest supports I've ever seen.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Re: Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit is ruining the Universal skylines

All i can think of to say is the coaster even necessary if it ruins the whole idea of being at a studio it looks like a nightmare and a blight to the well dressed streets.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Banned User

I have no idea what Universal was thinking when they decided to do something like this. It's not meant for a theme park, it's meant for Six Flags. It's ruining the New York skyline, and it's going to be a visual distraction throughout the park that doesn't fit at all with it's surroundings. At least Universal Japan managed to put a coaster in that doesn't look too intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    At least Universal Japan managed to put a coaster in that doesn't look too intrusive.
    It ruins the entire Hollywood section of the park. It may be ugly, but least Rockit is mostly behind the theming.

Blog Entries

The Japan coaster is just as bad. There are huge supports all down the Hollywood area ruining all the theming there.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Geeze (and that rhymes with cheese). Thought they would blend the coaster in with the studio and keep it below the skyline. Instead this big weenie of a ride reaches up like a skeletal Matterhorn. And the color ..oof! WTF! Looking at it from any given point in the park makes me see red!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

You do realize that that is a big midcourse brake run- the lift hill (tallest point - 167') is gonna be even taller.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Blog Entries

I know, which bothers me a lot. I don't see any way how this coaster isn't going to intrude on sitelines all over the place. I'm especially concerned about Jaws.

They should really consider painting it shades of blue. At least that way it might blend in a bit with the skyline. The supports next to buildings should also be painted dark colors that blend in with the facades

• we jumped out a window

I've never been to IOA but have been to USH plenty of times and have a pretty good handle on how they would handle it over there.

They would make no attempt to hide the coaster. In fact, they'll be more than happy if it's visible from Citywalk as it's something that will pull people into the park.

If it were visible from the backlot tour, they would just play it off as another movie set in their "hahaha, it's all movie making magic...hahaha look at us we're so clever, we don't take anything too seriously" mindset and demeanor.

Blog Entries

It'll definitely be visible from citywalk since it actually will go out into citywalk. I don't mind seeing it from production central either since that area is the ugliest most unthemed area I've ever seen. It just really bothers me how much its going to show up everywhere else.

wow, I didn't realize it would damage the scenery so much

granted I've only seen pictures of the Japanese install and it didn't look that intrusive to me (it looked shiny enough anyways)

I can say that I haven't been to USO much and that I'm not familiar with the planed route for this whole thing but I guess I'd imagined it taking a rather low profile until it could pop out around Citywalk and produce something of a draw for the park but now it looks more like it'll tower over alot of areas that won't benefit from it's presence so I'm disliking it for now anyways

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

This is what happens when you throw theming out the window... Walt preserve us that it hasnt gotten that bad at the Disney parks.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Maybe they're trying to apply the Six Flags theory of park operation - a killer coaster trumps a lack of/incongruous theming.

I'm not especially excited about this one, though aesthetics is only partly to blame.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!