• Minion

Lightbulb USH Extended Operating Days Due to Huge Attendance

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know there's a really good chance USH will be extending it's regular operating hours for the next couple of days/rest of the week/until further notice to meet the demand of the massive number of people that have been hitting the park. The past couple of days the Park extended to 10pm and the Studio Tour ran from park opening to park closing (the tail end of the Studio Tour queue was just past Shrek 4D/Donkey M&G). Shows have also been added to fill the schedule including rare after dark Water World performances.

Hours of operation are changing day of so check the USH website.

• Jack's Posse

Re: USH Extended Operating Days Due to Huge Attendance

ooh.
    Yeah USH has been surprisingly packed lately.
    And did I here The Studio Tour running all day?
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Minion

yup...from the time the gates open until the last guests in line go through

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    yup...from the time the gates open until the last guests in line go through
    Last time I was there, they closed the tour at around 6 or 7 if I recall correctly.

They can't do tours at nightfall since the backlot isn't illuminated enough for guests to see.
    InsideUniversal.net - Universal Studios Hollywood.

• Functional & Decorative

^I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking the trams would be outfitted with large searchlights???
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Last time I was there, they closed the tour at around 6 or 7 if I recall correctly.

They can't do tours at nightfall since the backlot isn't illuminated enough for guests to see.
    Sorry about the confusion...I meant this past weekend the Studio Tour was running at 9:30pm

About the tour closing a couple of hours before the park closes, it's not so much an issue of it being dark (trust me, during the holidays when the days are shorter, a lot of the tours happen after dark. Not to mention the Terror Tram for HHN which takes place entirely after sunset). It has to do with the length of the tour, and making sure that all the tours, or most of them, are finished before park closing.

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    . Not to mention the Terror Tram for HHN which takes place entirely after sunset). It has to do with the length of the tour, and making sure that all the tours, or most of them, are finished before park closing.
    Yeah, but during the Terror Tram for HHN, no one's really looking outside the tram at the sets. In fact, they keep a video playing almost the entire ride, since they know you can't really see anything until you get to the walking area. So it doesn't really matter that it's in the dark.

But that's a good point about the tours finishing before the park closes. Makes a lot of sense.

Also, during the off-season weekdays, they've been closing at 5 P.M., or sometimes 6. For most of the year, the sun is still high up in the sky at 5, and yet on those days, the last tram has to leave at around 3:30. Again, it's to ensure that they don't have a lot of trams running after the park closes. That, again, shows that that's the main reason, rather than lack of daylight, although daylight, admittedly, is a concern, and the tour does work a lot better during the day.

• Future Indy Castmember

Since Universal is closing at 10pm tomorrow, what time would the Studio Tour close? I'm guessing around 730 or 830

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    ^I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking the trams would be outfitted with large searchlights???
    Concerning the Tram Tour, I was at Universal Studios Hollywood last weekend, I mention this before about how Universal has extended the hours of the Tram Tour. On weekends especially, the Tram tour runs into the night now, with wait times jumping from 60 to 80 minutes throughout the day! They actually stop the line 2 hours after the printed time. Last Saturday, I figured I'll check to see if they blocked the entrance, it was around 7:20pm, to my great surprise. There was still a long line (with my annual pass, zoomed right through), and the Tram was still open to guests. Wait time was about 60mins, and little before 9pm, I got on the tram tour. The line was still long too as our tram rolled out.

So by the time the tram hit the valley floor on the front-lot, is was about night time, and I have to say, it was really fun seeing the whole back-lot at night. Unlike Halloween time, the tram does the whole course run through of the Universal lot as usual.

By the time the tram rolled to an end, and we guests stepped off, is was about 10:30pm. The sets are lighted by studio spotlights, Little Europe was really creepy, Jaws at night was great (especially because of the explosion effects), the Flood attraction is great at night too (especially with the lightning effects) and seeing the Bates Motel sign and the Bates home all by itself at night just on it's own (no Halloween crowds) gives it an extra realism unlike during Halloween Nights.

Here's some shots I took (sorry if the photos aren't crisp)...
    The NY area

Going into King Kong

Jaws

"Norman" - To my surprise, the actor playing Norman was still hanging around & scared the guests =) Gotta love Universal

There was actually a Tram traffic by the time we got to The Mummy tunnel attraction, I took a shot of another waiting tram behind me (I love seating in the back =)

PS
    My buddy informed me tonight, he went to Universal, and Universal has indeed let the tram tour run into the night. Being Friday, a big crowd, and I'm sure Universal wants everyone to see the new King Kong attraction. The last thing they want is a long line at Guest Relations with angry guests. Plus, a hand full of people (including me) have experienced a 'technical problem' while experiencing the King Kong attraction midway, and the Tram will give a second or a third go around at King Kong, so that guests can fully experience it the right way.
    Last edited by JMora; 07-30-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typos

Wow, really interesting. I've never seem the spotlights before, so I guess those are rather new additions.

Thanks for the pictures.
    InsideUniversal.net - Universal Studios Hollywood.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wow, really interesting. I've never seem the spotlights before, so I guess those are rather new additions.

Thanks for the pictures.
    You're welcome =0)

Thanks for the post, but I am still confused by two things. What do you mean by, "They actually stop the line 2 hours after the printed time"? What printed time are you talking about, the printed time of the tram closing, or the printed time of park closing?

Also, how did you "zoom right through" with your annual pass? Do you have one of the higher level ones? Or does the basic pass allow you to jump the tram line?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Thanks for the post, but I am still confused by two things. What do you mean by, "They actually stop the line 2 hours after the printed time"? What printed time are you talking about, the printed time of the tram closing, or the printed time of park closing?

Also, how did you "zoom right through" with your annual pass? Do you have one of the higher level ones? Or does the basic pass allow you to jump the tram line?
    When they hand you the park map & show schedules, especially the show schedules where they reveal the last time frame of the very last Studio Tour tram will take off. Let's say in fine print, they post/print the last Studio Tram tour leaves at 7:15pm, when one walks by the entrance at the Studio Tram tour at that hour, there's a good bet that's there's still a long line (upper level). Cast members doing crowd control still allow guest to come in, and wait in line. Even though it's past 8 o'clock or 9 o'clock.

A good hint if your away from the Studio Tram entrance, want to catch the last tram, and you afraid your not going to make it. Is to look at the 'wait time' posted signs throughout the park, there have been times where it's been way over an hour or so after the last expected tour to leave, and I've seen the wait time still posted at 70mins. Rule of thumb, if the wait times are still posted, despite what the piece of paper says. Uni still allows guests to come through, and it seems that they close off the line roughly an hour or two once the sun goes down (especially on the weekends).

As for the "zoom right through" part, with the 'Premium Star Annual Pass,' you get 'priority boarding on the Studio Tour. To be honest, this kinda confuses me too because as well all know, there's two levels concerning the Studio Tram. The entrance is at the 'upper level,' while guests take a escalator to a lower level where the main wait area is. Being it's summer, the line can actually go pass the Curious George water attraction and guests feel like a meat packing line till they get down the escalator to the organized wait lines.

If you have the 'Premium Star Annual Pass,' just show ur pass to a cast member and they lead you to a separate path way and you can bypass that whole line on the upper lot. That's until you go down the escalator and some cast members will lead you straight to boarding the tram or have to wait with the rest of the guests in the main waiting area. Still passing that whole massive group above saves a lot time and headaches. Of course, having a 'Front of the Line Pass,' you can just go to the front line and get the best seat in the house (or your choice) on the tram and on all attractions, & shows.

Hope that explains the issues =)