Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    I'm sure many of you were aware of the rumor of USH getting Harry Potter. Even though the execs, I'm sure, have been drooling over the idea of putting Potter in USH, I personally think they should build a fairly small LotR land with a big LotR E-Ticket. They can fit all of this where the Gibson amphitheater is and where the walkway to get to it is now. For the LotR ride, the could probably use Pandora's Box technology or something like this:



    I'm picturing the ride as an epic journey to Mt. Doom. Being shot up and down through the air by Gandorf inside one of the two towers, through the troll's mine, an encounter with one of those scary creatures, a battle, and finally into the bowels of Mt. Doom.

    As for the area, they can probably have some shops themed to one of the towns there (It's been a while since I've seen the movies so forgive, please for not knowing any of the names.) to appease the suits. The stores can serve period food, and souvenirs including a blacksmith shop. On top of all of this, LotR land at USH would create something unique from what Orlando has and give incentive for people to visit the West Coast. East coast gets Potter, we get Rings; it's a fair trade.

    What about WaterWorld, you ask? That spot would be left alone in favor for a trackless interactive dark ride-type ride with Ghostbusters or something.

    So what's your take on this? Any suggestions or modifications you MiceChatters have? This is just some wishful thinking here.

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    that would be sweet. It would get me out to hollywood to visit!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    409

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    I don't think the idea would work. Theme parks nowadays need something more relevant, so they can exploit the hell out of it. Dont get me wrong LOTR idea, love it. But I wouldn't hold my breath. With avatar 2 lurking around the corner that's what USH will most likely go with. I hope they don't but. We will see

  4. #4

    • (Not a) New User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    I think going to Pandora in USH would be cool! Especially at night...

    My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    I don't think the idea would work. Theme parks nowadays need something more relevant, so they can exploit the hell out of it. Dont get me wrong LOTR idea, love it. But I wouldn't hold my breath. With avatar 2 lurking around the corner that's what USH will most likely go with. I hope they don't but. We will see
    The big rumor right now is that Universal wants to replace T2:3D with Avatar. It would be kind of weird having an Avatar 3D show with an Avatar themed land in a whole other section of the park. Right now Harry Potter is the thing they're supposedly going after, but UO just released a survey not too long ago asking them if they wanted them to use LotR. I was thinking maybe they could use it for the West.

    As for the whole thing about exploiting it, the Hobbit comes out in a couple of years. I forget the date when, but it shouldn't be TOO far.

  6. #6

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    I love both Harry Potter and LOTR's but........gotta say potter makes more sense since you can sell wands and butter beer.....can't really sell swords to kids

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    409

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Freakazoid very good point. I completely forgot about hobbit. Well maybe their is hope for LOTR. And tell how sick the theme would be for horror night if they had a themed land for LOTR

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I love both Harry Potter and LOTR's but........gotta say potter makes more sense since you can sell wands and butter beer.....can't really sell swords to kids
    Isn't there some sort of drink they have in LotR that could be served as a "fun drink" like the butterbear? They could also sell rings and toy swords and shields. Again, it's been a while since I've seen the movies. I'm sure there's some items from the franchise that could be sold as souvenirs and some food that could be recreated for the mini-park.

    If USH would rather have Potter over LotR, there's something that needs to be considered here. Harry Potter's last movie comes out this year. If they were to start building like...tomorrow, that still wouldn't put it open until 2013. Or if they are serious about planning right now, 2014. They would be taking a really big chance of causing the area to be a big flop. I don't even think HP is a long-lasting franchise like Star Wars or LotR. Another thing to consider is that even though it was a smash hit in Orlando, we've got to give the Floridians some reason to visit Hollywood once Transformers replaces Spiderman when Disney eventually builds a Marvel attraction. They need to "Even it out" a bit here.

    LotR, like I just said, has that Hobbit movie coming out soon, so that would be a safer bet right there in terms of "relevancy". Again, it would give incentive for the people in Florida to visit us and would attract a LOT of people. We know that LotR is one of those long-lasting franchises that never die out even if the movies are done. This is something Universal really needs to think about there.

    Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    Freakazoid very good point. I completely forgot about hobbit. Well maybe their is hope for LOTR. And tell how sick the theme would be for horror night if they had a themed land for LOTR
    That would be cool! Only problem is, I don't think Tolken would allow anything other than something LotR-themed so it might get a bit repetitive after too long.
    Last edited by Freakazoid112; 01-19-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Correcting typos

  9. #9

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    ^what if Harry Potter has new books in 5-10 years from now?

    That makes Potter MUCH more relevant then Lotr's

    The thing that sucks is if you really did have a vote from guests at the park, Potter would win by a clean mile since all the Buzz about the park over on the east coast....I mean we could see a better Lotr's ride but I just could not get excited about it unless I saw some cool art work for it. Also Fantsyland has movies that were made over 50 years ago and they still get lines......so Potter will be relevant for at least 20 more years, its not Twlight.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    409

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Im not down with a smaller copied version of potter here at ush. Ush needs something new here. What is it idk but I hope something happens.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    what if Harry Potter has new books in 5-10 years from now?

    That makes Potter MUCH more relevant then Lotr's
    Well, that's big "if". Rowling said on Oprah that she may write another book in the future if she feels like it, but again, that's a big IF. THey may not even want to do it until she announces that she's writing a new book and by the time they would come out with a movie on it, the West Coast Potterverse would be open.

    But we're forgetting one thing here: It's not just about what Universal Creative or USH management want, it's ultimately up to the big boss herself: J.K. Rowling. Maybe she won't like the idea of a clone of Potter-verse in the Hollywood park because it "may not fit" with the small park or maybe she wants to keep it exclusive for Islands. Didn't I hear somewhere that the deal for Potter was for it to be exclusive at Islands? Or was I making up stuff in my head? If that's the case, that would give USH to do something new and awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The thing that sucks is if you really did have a vote from guests at the park, Potter would win by a clean mile since all the Buzz about the park over on the east coast....I mean we could see a better Lotr's ride but I just could not get excited about it unless I saw some cool art work for it. Also Fantsyland has movies that were made over 50 years ago and they still get lines......so Potter will be relevant for at least 20 more years, its not Twlight.
    That may be true, but again, it's all up to J.K. whether she really wants Universal to do it or not. She's already busy with phase 2 on Potter-verse at Islands.

    Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    Im not down with a smaller copied version of potter here at ush. Ush needs something new here. What is it idk but I hope something happens.
    I agree wholeheartedly, since west-coast Potter-verse would most likely be a "watered-down" version. If USH is going to build something bigger than Transformers, I'd rather it be something that we haven't seen already. I mean, why wait all of that time if you can just fly down to the east coast to see it if you're so impatient? If the big-wigs are so concerned about merchandise and food sales, then I'm sure they could cash in some big bucks from rings or fake weapons or something. Even some fun-drinks at a themed tavern with butterbeer, but under a different name.

  12. #12

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    496

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    we've got to give the Floridians some reason to visit Hollywood once Transformers replaces Spiderman when Disney eventually builds a Marvel attraction.
    Don't know where you got that idea, but it isn't happening. Spider-Man is still a critically-acclaimed attraction and Disney can't (legally) build any Marvel attractions on the east coast, so they have no reason to replace it. Transformers will remain a Hollywood/Singapore exclusive.

    Also, I have no idea if there was an exclusivity clause in Rowling's agreement with Universal Orlando, but I do know it was an agreement specifically between Rowling and UO. The other Universal resorts weren't part of the picture at the time of conception or design. I have to assume Wizarding World, like *most* aspects of IOA, will remain uncloned, at least for the time being.

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glendale County, CA
    Posts
    740

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Don't know where you got that idea, but it isn't happening. Spider-Man is still a critically-acclaimed attraction and Disney can't (legally) build any Marvel attractions on the east coast, so they have no reason to replace it. Transformers will remain a Hollywood/Singapore exclusive.
    I thought the deal was that if Disney builds any sort of Marvel attraction, whether it's on the East Coast or the West, that Universal will be forced to toss out Spiderman, Hulk, and Dr. Doom? Can anyone give anymore details please?
    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Also, I have no idea if there was an exclusivity clause in Rowling's agreement with Universal Orlando, but I do know it was an agreement specifically between Rowling and UO. The other Universal resorts weren't part of the picture at the time of conception or design. I have to assume Wizarding World, like *most* aspects of IOA, will remain uncloned, at least for the time being.
    I hope that means HP will be exclusive for Florida only.

  14. #14

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    496

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Universal owns exclusive attraction rights to the Marvel license east of the Mississipi. The contract the two parties signed during IOA's development (early 90's) is legally binding (and perpetual, meaning it never expires) so Disney has to honor it. Disney could theoretically PAY Universal for the rights, but they can't force them to do anything. Universal is, in essence, holding Disney's property hostage.

  15. #15

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,609

    Re: USH Should get Lord of the Rings

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    that would be sweet. It would get me out to hollywood to visit!
    The main reason to visit USH has always been the studio tour. The rides are good, for sure. But IMO the main reason people go to USH is for the tour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •