Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Transformers: The Ride - OPENS SPRING 2012

wow... sounds like a spiderman clone and nothing more. An amazing queue and a major hype letdown on the ride itself.

Sounds like Universal's Countdown to Extinction! A clone of a successful ride that even with several advancements will never match the prestige of the ride it cloned.

And who was the one ranting here endlessly about how this will be the greatest attraction ever??

IMO - Universal has been so quiet about this attraction I'm not suprised.

Spiderman is cool, but I could have done without the spinning myself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    wow... sounds like a spiderman clone and nothing more. An amazing queue and a major hype letdown on the ride itself.

Sounds like Universal's Countdown to Extinction! A clone of a successful ride that even with several advancements will never match the prestige of the ride it cloned.

And who was the one ranting here endlessly about how this will be the greatest attraction ever??

I don't know how you can sound so sure & negative about a ride you've never ridden.
    Your just going off assumptions.
    But reading FACTS from the article, only things similar between this & Spidy are the ride's technology & the author seemed really pleased with the ride. It isn't just another clone at all. We still don't know the ride's true potential, with Hollywood's not open & Singapore just having soft openings, to make fun of those thinking this ride will be one of the greatest.
    Not saying you can't be disappointed, but opinions like that seem kind of low to me as I'm sure you haven't ridden the ride yet.
    The author said it was a great ride & in his opinion the best in the park, so it sounds like a welcome audition to Hollywood. Looking forward to reading more reviews from people who have ridden it.

Sucks there will be no real robots but I remember people saying these same things about TSMM, yet it ended up being really successful once opened.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Originally Posted by flynnibus wow... sounds like a spiderman clone and nothing more. An amazing queue and a major hype letdown on the ride itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I don't know how you can sound so sure & negative about a ride you've never ridden.
    But reading FACTS from the article, only things similar between this & Spidy are the ride's technology & the author seemed really pleased with the ride. It isn't just another clone at all. We still don't know the ride's true potential, with Hollywood's not open & Singapore just having soft openings, to make fun of those thinking this ride will be one of the greatest.
    Not saying you can't be disappointed, but opinions like that seem kind of low to me as I'm sure you haven't ridden the ride yet.
    The author said it was a great ride & in his opinion the best in the park, so it sounds like a welcome audition to Hollywood. Looking forward to reading more reviews from people who have ridden it.

Sucks there will be no real robots but I remember people saying these same things about TSMM, yet it ended up being really successful once opened.
    Apart from it's use of multi media technology, the coming Transformers ride will no more be a clone of Spiderman than Radiator Springs Racers will be a clone of Test Track. For the space that Uni has to work with, the designers of the ride are creating a mind blowing attraction.

Plus, Optimus Prime is a "bigger" star than Indiana Jones could ever hope to be. Not only that but Indy doesn't even look like himself at IJAdventure. Optimus doesn't have any image problems. And just in passing, Countdown To Extinction is a technical dinosuar. When the term darkride was conceived, I don;t think that it was ment that a ride should be pitch black pert-near all the way through. Someday, critics will see the light about these things.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-23-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Pilot EdForceOne

No I'm not - I'm going off a detailed, scene by scene breakdown of the attraction with experience of what the attraction it's derived from is like.

But reading FACTS from the article, only things similar between this & Spidy are the ride's technology & the author seemed really pleased with the ride. It isn't just another clone at all
    Uhh.. and the presentation format.. and the way scenes are presented and transitioned... and the display technology... and the physical effects (but less then spidy).. and the list goes on and on.

It's spidy redone to transformers and too a degree less physical props.

We still don't know the ride's true potential, with Hollywood's not open & Singapore just having soft openings, to make fun of those thinking this ride will be one of the greatest.
    It's potential? Do you think it's going to grow up some day to become some different attraction or something?

Sure things may still be tweaked, effects on/off, etc.. but it's not going to fundamentally change what it is.

The author said it was a great ride & in his opinion the best in the park, so it sounds like a welcome audition to Hollywood.
    I would hope it's the best in the park.. have you looked at USS's attraction list?
    For rides aimed at something besides the <10 crowd.. they only have Jurrassic Park, The Mummy, and 2 other roller coasters. Notice no spiderman on that list? The park is dying for attractions.

Remember, they don't have spiderman there to compare against (like Hollywood doesn't either). That's why you don't see it announced for USO... it would be redundant. Transformers is a way to expand the same spiderman ride to the other parks with a license they have better handle on.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Hello Dolly.

No I'm not - I'm going off a detailed, scene by scene breakdown of the attraction with experience of what the attraction it's derived from is like.

Uhh.. and the presentation format.. and the way scenes are presented and transitioned... and the display technology... and the physical effects (but less then spidy).. and the list goes on and on.

It's spidy redone to transformers and too a degree less physical props.
    Like I've said, the technology is the same. The layout, certain effects, the line, the projections, & most importantly the story are completely different. I think it's wrong to claim a ride is just a lesser clone when you haven ridden it & it the ride its self really isn't a clone. Like Ride Warrior said, that would be like saying RSR & the Test Track basically are clones.
    Or Simpsons is just a clone of Back to the Future.
    Fantasyland dark rides.
    All are using the same technology & being present the same way like you've stated for Transformers & Spidy. Do you see them as just clones?

It's potential? Do you think it's going to grow up some day to become some different attraction or something?

Sure things may still be tweaked, effects on/off, etc.. but it's not going to fundamentally change what it is.
    No, but it certainly was in test mode. To have such a good review on its day of testing is great, especially considering some effects couldn't have possibly been working. I actually does change the ride experience, have you ever took a ride on Indy with most of it's effects not working. I have my last two visits & one of my favorites turned into a huge disappointment.
    I would hope it's the best in the park.. have you looked at USS's attraction list?
    For rides aimed at something besides the <10 crowd.. they only have Jurrassic Park, The Mummy, and 2 other roller coasters. Notice no spiderman on that list? The park is dying for attractions.

Remember, they don't have spiderman there to compare against (like Hollywood doesn't either). That's why you don't see it announced for USO... it would be redundant. Transformers is a way to expand the same spiderman ride to the other parks with a license they have better handle on.
    It's a new well themed park with a couple great rides, idk why you are trying to make it sound like they were desperate for this ride. Hollywood, I can agree with as they really need a new ride.

My main argument was you seem so sure & negative about a ride you haven't ridden. If your going to compare rides, well of course your going to be really disappointed or really happy. From what I read, it sounds like a great ride & I can still see many saying it's the best ride of the year. We will see when it's opened to the public & Hollywood. If you re-read your post, it sounds like you just had something against Universal's new ride before it's even opened, which did annoy me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Like I've said, the technology is the same. The layout, certain effects, the line, the projections, & most importantly the story are completely different
    Different - but only like saying one wall is blue, and the other is red, so they are not the same. Fundamentally they are both just walls. A change of theme and set pieces while fundamentally leaving the core the attraction the same is a clone.

ToT in TDS has a different story, even different exterior from the other Towers.. but at it's core, it's still the same attraction even though comesmetically and thematically they are different. Same goes here for transformers. It's a reskinning of spiderman and appears to bring nothing new to the table except different theme.

I think it's wrong to claim a ride is just a lesser clone when you haven ridden it & it the ride its self really isn't a clone. Like Ride Warrior said, that would be like saying RSR & the Test Track basically are clones.
    Or Simpsons is just a clone of Back to the Future.
    Fantasyland dark rides.
    All are using the same technology & being present the same way like you've stated for Transformers & Spidy. Do you see them as just clones?
    Do not confuse simply reusing the same techonology with my statement of saying they are essentially the same attractions. RSR and TT have similar DNA, but the rides will be distinquished significantly by the idea of dual tracks and the level of immersion as an anchor for the whole land.

Simpsons is just a redressing of BTTF.. the attraction itself really hasn't changed. Just the humor, the themeing, and the film itself. It doesn't mean Simpsons is bad.. its just at it's core the same type of attraction as before.

Just like Body Wars and Star Tours were basically the same thing.. with different themes and different stories. ST was much better then Body Wars, but they still were effectively the same type of attraction.

Just like Spidy and Transformers seems to be. Except a decade later, transformers doesn't seem to have evolved compared to it's parent. It's more like the TDS ToT vs the MGM ToT. Redressed, pretty, but still the same song.

No, but it certainly was in test mode. To have such a good review on its day of testing is great, especially considering some effects couldn't have possibly been working. I actually does change the ride experience, have you ever took a ride on Indy with most of it's effects not working. I have my last two visits & one of my favorites turned into a huge disappointment.
    Even without the effects tho.. you still know what Indy is and what the core experience is. And you know effects 'couldnt possibly have been working'?? and you blame me for assuming things??

It's a new well themed park with a couple great rides, idk why you are trying to make it sound like they were desperate for this ride. Hollywood, I can agree with as they really need a new ride.
    The guy says it's the best ride in the park - I'm trying to give you some context. The park has diddly compared to it's sister parks, especially in the ride department. Saying you are the best in a desert isn't really all that awe inspiring.

My main argument was you seem so sure & negative about a ride you haven't ridden. If your going to compare rides, well of course your going to be really disappointed or really happy. From what I read, it sounds like a great ride & I can still see many saying it's the best ride of the year. We will see when it's opened to the public & Hollywood. If you re-read your post, it sounds like you just had something against Universal's new ride before it's even opened, which did annoy me.
    Well for those of us following this story since the beginning, you would know of several posters here who have been acting like this will be the second coming and blow away every attraction made to date. It appears to have fallen well short of that and the fan hype didn't match Universals lack of hype. That's what I said in the earlier post, and if you re-read it, you'll find that - not what you wanted to think it read as.

As for best of 2011 - my wager is it would lose in a fan fight to the new Star Tours. At least that brought something new to the mix... what is transformers bringing that is new? besides just a different story?

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Hello Dolly.

Different - but only like saying one wall is blue, and the other is red, so they are not the same. Fundamentally they are both just walls. A change of theme and set pieces while fundamentally leaving the core the attraction the same is a clone.

ToT in TDS has a different story, even different exterior from the other Towers.. but at it's core, it's still the same attraction even though comesmetically and thematically they are different. Same goes here for transformers. It's a reskinning of spiderman and appears to bring nothing new to the table except different theme.
    But none of those attractions I've never seen as just clones of another ride. It's another completely new experience & ride itself! I bring up the comparison of clones because you used the word "clone" to insult a ride you've never ridden, when it is so much more than just a clone, as well are the other rides mentioned.

Do not confuse simply reusing the same techonology with my statement of saying they are essentially the same attractions. RSR and TT have similar DNA, but the rides will be distinquished significantly by the idea of dual tracks and the level of immersion as an anchor for the whole land.

Simpsons is just a redressing of BTTF.. the attraction itself really hasn't changed. Just the humor, the themeing, and the film itself. It doesn't mean Simpsons is bad.. its just at it's core the same type of attraction as before.

Just like Body Wars and Star Tours were basically the same thing.. with different themes and different stories. ST was much better then Body Wars, but they still were effectively the same type of attraction.

Just like Spidy and Transformers seems to be. Except a decade later, transformers doesn't seem to have evolved compared to it's parent. It's more like the TDS ToT vs the MGM ToT. Redressed, pretty, but still the same song.
    Yes I understand that. But at the end of the day, they all are not simply just another "clone" as you stated for Transformers. They all are great rides! It seems the hype of this ride & technology advancement hasn't been groundbreaking like I assume many thought or you at least, which is disappointing. But maybe it was your wording, but quotes like this

wow... sounds like a spiderman clone and nothing more.
    Makes it sound like your another ungrateful member who seems to have so much negativity to a new, great ride. Things got cut out, still there's many great things to focus on. You just seemed totally against this ride, which again you've never had a chance to ride.

Even without the effects tho.. you still know what Indy is and what the core experience is. And you know effects 'couldnt possibly have been working'?? and you blame me for assuming things??
    We don't know all the effects could of been working though, like we do Indy. So possibly there can be a couple surprises to make this ride even better, making me say it still has potential to be a better ride than we've read.

The guy says it's the best ride in the park - I'm trying to give you some context. The park has diddly compared to it's sister parks, especially in the ride department. Saying you are the best in a desert isn't really all that awe inspiring.
    Once again, your trying to make USS sound like it's nothing. The theme around that park is amazing, with plenty of rides to choose from. I don't know where your getting this idea that it's just a best park in the desert. USO is just on a whole different level if comparing it to that, but USS had more than what most parks have & it's only a few years old.

Well for those of us following this story since the beginning, you would know of several posters here who have been acting like this will be the second coming and blow away every attraction made to date. It appears to have fallen well short of that and the fan hype didn't match Universals lack of hype. That's what I said in the earlier post, and if you re-read it, you'll find that - not what you wanted to think it read as.
    So your a hyped fan who's going to sound bitter & ungrateful of a huge ride because it didn't live up to you expectations. I understand the disappointment but you just came off bitter in your post.

As for best of 2011 - my wager is it would lose in a fan fight to the new Star Tours. At least that brought something new to the mix... what is transformers bringing that is new? besides just a different story?
    Transformers is bringing much more than a new story. I fail to see how Star Tours is getting the better hand in your sentence when both rides are pretty much in the same boat. Technically, Transformers will be a completely new experience for the people of Cali & Singapore, where Star Tours was a reboot.

We agree to disagree, but I just had a problem with the way you expressed your disappointment.

• Iron-Clad Allie

But none of those attractions I've never seen as just clones of another ride. It's another completely new experience & ride itself! I bring up the comparison of clones because you used the word "clone" to insult a ride you've never ridden, when it is so much more than just a clone, as well are the other rides mentioned.

Yes I understand that. But at the end of the day, they all are not simply just another "clone" as you stated for Transformers. They all are great rides! It seems the hype of this ride & technology advancement hasn't been groundbreaking like I assume many thought or you at least, which is disappointing. But maybe it was your wording, but quotes like this

Makes it sound like your another ungrateful member who seems to have so much negativity to a new, great ride. Things got cut out, still there's many great things to focus on. You just seemed totally against this ride, which again you've never had a chance to ride.

We don't know all the effects could of been working though, like we do Indy. So possibly there can be a couple surprises to make this ride even better, making me say it still has potential to be a better ride than we've read.

Once again, your trying to make USS sound like it's nothing. The theme around that park is amazing, with plenty of rides to choose from. I don't know where your getting this idea that it's just a best park in the desert. USO is just on a whole different level if comparing it to that, but USS had more than what most parks have & it's only a few years old.

So your a hyped fan who's going to sound bitter & ungrateful of a huge ride because it didn't live up to you expectations. I understand the disappointment but you just came off bitter in your post.

Transformers is bringing much more than a new story. I fail to see how Star Tours is getting the better hand in your sentence when both rides are pretty much in the same boat. Technically, Transformers will be a completely new experience for the people of Cali & Singapore, where Star Tours was a reboot.

We agree to disagree, but I just had a problem with the way you expressed your disappointment.
    Here's to steely new themepark ride experiences that are just as stellar as rebooted rides elsewhare that have been around forever!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Pilot EdForceOne

You're reading in stuff that isn't there. I never 'insulted' the ride. I kept things grounded.. which if you've been following this topic and some fans of the coming attraction were far from grounded.

Sorry you're jumping into the conversation 6m+ late and don't get the post.

Again - something that would be so huge to dramatically change it all? No

I listed what it has.. DIDDLY when it comes to rides. If you think otherwise, list out all these great rides it has to show me otherwise. Reality is you can't. It's a park with basically 4 rides.. now 5. That's barely a land/area at most other parks. You hinge on a review that is praising it as the best in the park. It's like giving water to the man lost in the desert.. the water is the best drink he's ever had when he's dying of thirst!

Actually you've got it all wrong.. I was mocking those who've been hyped for this for the last year. I've never been hyped about this.. because I hate the Bay transformers and I was in a 'wait and see' because Uni had said so little about this. But now we know what they've delivered and it matches Uni's hype level.. about zero! Not the hyper kids here who've been preaching this will be the world's top attraction.

Transformers is bringing much more than a new story
    Feel free to try to describe how you think it is. I don't read anything new in this review.

I fail to see how Star Tours is getting the better hand in your sentence when both rides are pretty much in the same boat
    Because ST has expanded the realm of trying to draw people back for repeat rides.. it has rebooted a stable attraction into a high demand one again at DL.. it has enhanced the queues quite well with both technology and show.. provides good humor.. and has a pretty good in-cabin experience. In short.. ST has been a pretty successful hit.

Am I evil? yes, I am

I listed what it has.. DIDDLY when it comes to rides. If you think otherwise, list out all these great rides it has to show me otherwise. Reality is you can't. It's a park with basically 4 rides.. now 5. That's barely a land/area at most other parks. You hinge on a review that is praising it as the best in the park. It's like giving water to the man lost in the desert.. the water is the best drink he's ever had when he's dying of thirst!
    I'm the author of the Transformers ride report and I agree with you about the lack of rides in USS. Which is why I said that this is the best ride because honestly, given what we have here, it really is.

I was hoping to see the smaller transformer robots in the pre-show or earlier scenes. However, after riding through several times, I feel that the 3D is adequate. There are 12 screens here, same as Spider-man, but 3 screens in transformers are used for very lengthy sequences, one of which is about 25 seconds long.

If you ask me, the most significant upgrade from Spider-man would be the 3D scenes. The projections are very bright and clear - almost IMAX 3D quality, unlike the other 3D films I've watched in theme parks so far. The most amazing ones are the three parabolic screens that completely surrounds the riders' field of vision.

Apart from that, the truth is: the ride did copy the most memorable moments from Spider-man.

I don't see what the big deal is. Even if it were "just a clone" of arguably the best ride in the world, what's a matter with that? It's not like Hollywood or Singapore already have Spider-Man, which you've stated several times, flynnibus, but you've been trying so hard to compare the two rides that you make it sound like there's a redundancy where none exists. It shouldn't have taken this long for Hollywood to get a similar ride, and it may or may not be more advanced than its predecessor, but it's not like most west coasters get to ride Spider-Man any time they want. And it will still be, by far, the best ride in the park.

And your Star Tours comparison? As a Floridian who's already been riding Spider-Man for the past 12 years, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to trade Star Tours 2.0 for Transformers. The new Star Tours simply added 3-D to an otherwise obsolete ride. Even if Transformers does nothing new compared to Spider-Man, Star Tours 2.0 would STILL be a far inferior experience. The redundancy wouldn't even matter to me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by digimax View Post
    If you ask me, the most significant upgrade from Spider-man would be the 3D scenes. The projections are very bright and clear - almost IMAX 3D quality, unlike the other 3D films I've watched in theme parks so far. The most amazing ones are the three parabolic screens that completely surrounds the riders' field of vision.
    Remember Spiderman is also getting upgraded projections for next year as Universal announced earlier this year. So again the rides would be similar. I assumed they had to have some bigger screens in Transformers if they had less physical sets and that should be a nice effect. The 'blending' of screens to physical is an effect that Universal has a mixed result with, mainly in attractions when the black level of the projections are poor. When they are good, the blending is great. Plus, with the transparent screens that are popular (mylar) the effects are getting even better (like as done in Hogwarts in Forbidden Journey).

Apart from that, the truth is: the ride did copy the most memorable moments from Spider-man.
    Thanks for stopping in and sharing with us.

---------- Post added 11-24-2011 at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Even if it were "just a clone" of arguably the best ride in the world, what's a matter with that? It's not like Hollywood or Singapore already have Spider-Man, which you've stated several times, flynnibus, but you've been trying so hard to compare the two rides that you make it sound like there's a redundancy where none exists
    Again.. context. You all act like I'm just jumping in slamming the ride here and are ignoring the long history of these threads and the subject. This ride has been hyped up and down through the community, and now we have the result.. and I'm pointing out what it really is. "spiderman for the other parks" and in some degrees it appears to be lesser then spiderman.

The point about the other parks and where spiderman is was to counter the argument that since it was reported as the 'best ride in the park' it had to be better then spiderman.

It shouldn't have taken this long for Hollywood to get a similar ride, and it may or may not be more advanced than its predecessor, but it's not like most west coasters get to ride Spider-Man any time they want. And it will still be, by far, the best ride in the park.
    I'm sure it will be - but USH is already lacking in most degrees to the competition for everything but the actual studio and tram tour. So it's good for USS and USH, and pretty insignificant to the rest of the world.

And your Star Tours comparison? As a Floridian who's already been riding Spider-Man for the past 12 years, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to trade Star Tours 2.0 for Transformers. The new Star Tours simply added 3-D to an otherwise obsolete ride. Even if Transformers does nothing new compared to Spider-Man, Star Tours 2.0 would STILL be a far inferior experience. The redundancy wouldn't even matter to me.
    Possibily, but note I said 'in a fan fight'. It's not my personal opinion. I'm not really wow'd by STII.. its basically a refresh they needed and should have done long ago. But to the point, STII is widely liked and has been recognized in the industry as good to great. So take it as you will...

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

I thought they would do this. The West Coast has been begging for a Spider-man ride, so why not give them what they want? Just give them a glorified version of it.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

SPOILER!!! Full ride through video is up on YouTube.

My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Banned User

Transformers is an evolution of a ride that Disney has no counterpart. This takes Universal further from Disney. Disney with the new Cars ride will be an evolution of Test Track. Same idea. Nothing new really here except we are talking about Universal being at a more advanced level.

From what I've read, the biggest advancement is the 3D rendering. It is much much better than Spiderman. The addition of other special effects like water, smoke, steam adds more stimuli to the experience. I at least hope the new Cars attraction gives the rides some physical effects, along with new show advances. Test Track fell flat with the show portion.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast