View Poll Results: What did you think of TRANSFORMERS THE RIDE 3D?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUTOBOTS, ROLL OUT!! AMAZING! MUST RIDE!

40 72.73%
  • Really good ride but Spider-Man might be better

15 27.27%
  • Just OK

0 0%
  • Didn't like it

0 0%
  • Don't waste your time

0 0%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Transformers The Ride 3D -- Micechat Reviews!

^have you seen...and I mean seen Carsland...cause its pretty impressive, I would wait before saying anything like that

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I would have to say that this ride is really impressive. I'm glad that Universal Hollywood finally have a long and almost detailed queue.

The single rider queue is just pathetic with no design whatsoever. You just walk-in and after 10 seconds of walking you are at the ride vehicle. I highly recommend that anyone first time riding the ride should line-up in the regular line.

I wish there are more props and a real animatronics like Indiana jones instead of relying on projection screens.

I just noticed that most of Universal attractions are projection-based ride:

1. King Kong 360
    2. Shrek 4D
    3. Transformers the ride
    4. Terminators 4D
    5. Harry Potter (coming soon)

I generally dislike projection-based ride, but the one that I hated the most is not at Universal, but is at Disneyland and that is Finding Nemo Submarines ride, I have not been on it since 2008 and I go to Disneyland a lot of times.

Overall, I love the ride!

I got motion-sickness after riding back to back. I think the only way to reduce the severity of the motion sickness is not to wear the 3D glasses at all.

It still looks incredible without the 3D glasses. I recommend riding it a second times without the glasses. You could see more details that way.

After riding it 7 times, I would have to say that I'm done for now. The next time I will be visiting it again is during the media day event on May 24.
    Last edited by SoCalbma; 04-21-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Well i'll be going in june and i will post a review and povs and a complete walkthrough and the videos in the que so i'll have something up by late june or early july but i will have a really good time for my birthday so i'm going to be lucky on the week of it but if possible on the weekend i'm going to try and get in the park before the big crowd's are in the lower lot. and my opinion about the ride is what i've seen the entrance of the ride in spring break, its fcking awesome!!! I hope it will be good as everybody says.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Rookie Chatter

I rode 3 times today and really enjoyed the themed queue. It was VERY detailed and the ride ops were all very into their roles as NEST soldiers. I agree that the single rider line is very boring, we went in that our third ride. I didn't experience the motion sickness others have, but I do agree you see more of the details of the ride building itself without the glasses on. The ride itself was seamlessly integrated with the 3D video and they made great use of the few mist and water effects. The best part of it was definitely seeing Megatron at the very end of the ride.

All in all, the immersion is fantastic, the practical sets and 3D film work together flawlessly, and I was blown away by how well it all came together. I may skip the AP preview day as well, because this was just perfect today.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

• mountains beyond mtns.

I rode it 7 times today so I guess it's kind of sort of okay...

no wait, it was phenomenal! It's a truly immersive experience as everyone has been saying and one does not even need to be a Transformers fan to enjoy this ride. (For the record, I am one but am not overly fond of the Michael Bay films). My favorite sections were the "Autobots, roll out!"/instant acceleration and Devastator's suction vortex.

I didn't really have a problem with the single rider queue's lack of theming. At least it has two monitors and a few signs. Think of it as a no frills section of the bunker designed to allow lone agents quicker access to Evac

It took me quite a few rides but I finally found the Yellow Volkswagen Bug Generation 1 Bumblebee easter egg - at the end of the ride, when you are under Megatron's remains, look to the left and you'll see the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post

I just noticed that most of Universal attractions are projection-based ride:

1. King Kong 360
    2. Shrek 4D
    3. Transformers the ride
    4. Terminators 4D
    5. Harry Potter (coming soon)
    My fellow co-workers and I were discussing this very issue today. It would suck if you hated 3D!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

[Minor Spoilers]

Basically, all of the reviews you might've read at this point are true. I won't say much different from what others are saying (except the two negative points at the bottom), so feel free to skip to the bottom if you've already read a dozen other reviews.

Got to the park at around noon and the line said 20 minutes. I honestly didn't care how long the line was as I drove an hour and a half just to go on it and that was my sole purpose of being there. So I rushed to the bottom lot. Coming up to the facade of the building, I couldn't help it but think it could be a bit better. I mean, they force the theme upon you so heavily once inside "the base" that one would figure they'd either just make it really plain or just go all out with the facade. Instead, they went half way, making it seem like transformers are bursting from the building... but they're not moving. So basically it's a giant billboard for the ride, on the ride's building. I understand reason not to go bare but something could've been done a bit more creative, I think.

One thing that confuses me when entering the building (remember, this is during Technical Rehearsals) is they force you to go up the middle staircase. Being a native theme park goer and a person who has common sense, I was heading to the regular line and staircase, only to be lead toward the middle (which is supposed to be for Gate A riders) and then was asked to step to the left by another line moderator ... I unno, just weird. Anywho, this line looked massive but I pretty much bypassed it until the last two hallways. If there's any extra videos or elements to the story, I would have no idea.

[For HHN nerds:
    I don't see how the "Behind the Mummy" spot will work as a maze location anymore with this new ride, since the old Backdraft queue is now the Transformers queue once it reaches 80 minutes (which it easily got to at around 1 PM) on a day when most people there didn't even know it was open, so imagine the crowds come October. That's not even mentioning that all three of the entrances (regular, Gate A and single rider) as well as the exit are in direct path of where the old maze queue would be. This is too much for a line and crowd operator to handle, I'm sure. As some have speculated before, the line will indeed have to veer off to somewhere else (this is if they even put mazes down there this year), which will probably be under the escalators.]

Luckily, the queue doesn't come to many standstills. I was on the ride within 10 minutes. The energy in the loading station is frentic, as these guys and gals are really into their roles. I salute them on their efforts and getting the ride loaded as quickly as possible. Another cool thing I noticed is you can take items on with you. I took my souvenir cup and I saw people with purses, backpacks and etc.. If this were Mummy, people would've been scolded and tossed back to the entrance to throw their crap into a locker. Here, I heard no such instances of them caring about any "loose articles." Okay, now onto the ride itself. Man, once it starts, it really just doesn't stop. The two times I rode it, I don't think I breathed for those entire four minutes each. It's just non-stop intensity from beginning to end.

The vehicle moves very fluid, gliding from one point to another (from what I saw, it's literally a motion simulator vehicle on a track -- imagine a giant bumper car with a bendy bottom half -- not so much like an Indiana Jones vehicle). I did not experience any of the nausea others have been reporting but both times, I rode in the front row and wore my 3D glasses. I'd like to try the ride without the glasses and sit in the back, as I'm sure it's probably bumpier back there and a different experience all together. The interaction with what's happening on the screen matches with the vehicle perfectly, as do the show effects. The heat and fog effects come at perfect timing. May I also say the practical sets blend perfectly in with the screens. Like seriously, there were times I didn't even notice them because it looked like all screen (I see that as a compliment). It adds just a tiny bit of more realism than just a regular 3D motion simulator. But also on that same token, that means a lot of practical sets get whizzed by a bit quickly and it's hard to really notice the detail.

I also love how once the scene is over and your car drives off to another point, the scene continues out on the screen once you're practically turned all the way around from it. I just figured the screen would turn off, but if you crank your neck good enough (I don't necessarily recommend that, btw), you'll see the scene still going -- just not with a lot going on. Keeps it completely real at all angles, which I love. As far as I can tell, you never encounter another vehicle either (until the station, ofcourse), so it makes the mission really seem like your own. One of the things I disliked about Back to the Future/The Simpsons, is you could easily see the other cars bouncing around if you looked over without even trying. One thing I'm getting afraid of though is the theme park industry's use of screen based/3D rides. Really makes me feel like the days of physical-everything is slowly dying. Not just Universal either but Disneyland is starting it too, even on the animatronics (blinking eyes, or even whole faces... those kinda just bug me). I hope RSR is all physical, but knowing that it's Pixar, I have a feeling some of the scenes inside the showrooms will be helped out with animations in some way.

As for story elements and such, it's pretty simple and easy to understand. I mean, there isn't much to understand, really. It's just action, action, action, go, go, go. They needed something simple for the set pieces to work. One tiny gripe, the ride takes place at night. Universal is mostly known as a park that usually only operates during the day. To sell the ride better, and for most cases of who will ride it, I would've gone with daytime. I won't be ridiculous and say, "it should change depending on the time you go on it" but sticking with the time of day about 90% of the visitors who will go on it throughout the year would've been a better idea. But maybe they kicked that around and decided it was too bright and hurt the eyes. Who knows.

The length of the ride is awesome also. I think those who wait for it for a long period of time will be satisfied with what they get. I loved swinging and speeding through that track and it just seemed endless. That building really is massive and takes you on quite an adventure.

Okay, now on to my two negative points...

1) I'll call this section, "okay, I get it, it's 3D!" I can't even count on my fingers and toes how many times something comes at the screen. Every moment, they throw anything they can at you to remind you it's a 3D ride. I mean, cool to make full use of it but seriously, it was overboard. Using 3D successfully, to me, is when I forget I'm watching something in 3D until something comes at me. Here, it's a constant reminder from the moment it starts. Grabbing at you, throwing at you, swatting at you, falling on you, coming towards you and stopping in the nick of time, etc. etc. Every trick in the 3D book is here and they stuff it in and double/triple the tricks within the 4 minutes of the ride. Like, literally in EVERY scene, Megatron grabs your vehicle. EVERY SCENE. It results in a good jolt each time, but it got old about half way through. I figured our car would've been destroyed at that point!

2) This section, I'll call "can we take a breather for just a second?" In my opinion, a great ride should have highs and lows so each moment stands out from the rest. This ride is like one big blur. The moments all mesh together because they never really stop to give you a moment to remember it. For example, on Indiana Jones there's points where the vehicle stops or slows down that really benefit the dramatic storytelling of the ride: seeing Indy for the first time, seeing the cavern of bubbly death, the bugs on the wall, before the bridge, the rats falling, before the darts and before the boulder. Once each scene is done, you're whipped around and another insane action set piece happens with no time in between. It really heightens the excitement of the ride and all but after both times, I left feeling something was missing. I never thought I'd complain about a ride being TOO exciting but this perfectly fits that definition. The simple story from before that was needed to make this exciting ride now feels like it should've had a bit more to it so there could've been moments where we can stop, talk to a Transformer for a beat and move on to another scene. Maybe 2 scenes where nothing action-y happens and just story, just to up the drama or at least a proper intro. Literally, the ride just jumps into the mayhem. There's no alluring moment before the havoc begins. For those who decided not to pay attention to the monitors in the queue, or for those who went through Gate A or the Single Rider lines, will get zero build up to what's happening on the ride. Once again, I'll use Indy as an example. We learn in the queue that Indy and the tourists have been missing for some time. Still, we encounter Mara and once she gets peeved, we're THEN thrusted into the action. This ride starts off like as if you've already looked into Mara's eyes and you're immediately whipped around and there's lightening on the walls. The ending is a bit quick too (also the car doesn't point toward the screen, which is odd) but I think it's fine since the whole ride was neckbreak paced anyway. The fast, fierce and non-stop style, as fun as it is, only leaves me wanting a bit more of a story.

Bottom Line: Those last two thoughts only drop the score for this ride down about half a point each. It truly is a great fun ride and an amazing technological achievement that'll wow audiences for years to come. No doubt this summer, that lower lot will be as crowded as ever and I'm sure that line will reach to record breaking lengths that park has never seen. If you thought it was insanity in '10 for Studio Tour's King Kong, which is a high capacity ride, imagine what it'll be like trying to fill up each of those cars that only sit 12 each for Transformers. For my second time on the ride, I did single rider since the line reached up to 80 minutes. I only recommend this for riders who've been on the ride before because the line has nothing to look at and tells less of a story. Being able to watch the monitors for a longer time really benefits the storytelling experience of the ride, as I said prior in "Can we take a breather for a second?" If you're a fan of the films, motion simulators, 3D, fast rides, new ride technology, action or just looking for a really thrilling 4 minutes, Transformers is for you. Heck, I'd say Transformers is for everybody. You won't want to miss this ride as it has to be seen to be believed. Watching it on YouTube will do it no justice. The movements are what make the ride, in my opinion. And even though I've been on it twice and can't pinpoint a favorite part, I still loved it to death and will be back numerous times this year to ride it again. This is as close as you'll probably ever get to living in a real action scene! As for any elements missing during the rehearsal, I'm not sure what they would've been. My favorite ride at Universal is still Jurassic Park but this definitely comes in second. There's honestly maybe another 2 paragraphs I could say about the ride but this is getting long as is, so I'll leave you with my grading:
    9.0 out of 10. 'A'-.

Re: Transformers The Ride Review!

Possible spoilers below.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

As cool as the tech is, is a Transformers ride so if your not into the movies I don't think your care too much whats happening here as cool as big robots are I just don't really care who wins and I really don't care about the characters so makes the ride a little more boring since for me there no real suspense and it does not help that there are only 3 good guys and 5 bad guys in the whole ride....with such a large cast they really made it down to the guys we've already seen fight in 3 movies again, no different types of battles like Bumblebee vs Starscream or Megaton vs Ratchet. Just kinda disappointing with how long the ride is we don't get any cool battles from guys who never got to fight in the movies.
    I call for a headcount. In no particular order the Autobots featured in the attraction are: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Wheelie (In line), and Evac; and the Deceptions are: Megatron, Ravage, Sideways, Grindor, Starscream, Bonecrusher, and Devastator. If you missed Ratchet or Ironhide on ride they appeared briefly during your first encounter with Devastator on the right and left hand sides of your screen respectively. That brings the total count to seven Autobots and seven Decepticons (although if you want to get really technical, Devastator is comprised of several Constructions but we'll ignore that for now). All in all I'd say that makes the odds about even on both sides and Wheelie is the only Autobot not truly featured on-ride so I'm not sure where you got the three and the five from.

As for your complaint that there were "no different types of battles" in this ride compared to the movies, this ride completely throws the continuity of the films out the window in order to prove you wrong (Which is okay in this case because unlike the new Star Tours at Disneyland, this attraction is not claiming to be canon or take place at any specific point in time during or between films). Let me give you a short list of battles that took place between both sides that never took place in any of the three films: Bumblebee versus Sideways, Ratchet and Ironhide versus Devastator, Sideswipe versus Bonecrusher and oh, I don't know, how about your ride vehicle Evac versus everyone else? Those in addition to the fights we get in movie like Optimus versus Megatron and Bumblebee versus Ravage I think make for a pretty good mix of fights.

Finally, I see where you're coming from saying that if you're not into Transformers or the movies you might not care about the characters but honestly, Transformers fans will know exactly what's going on and who to care about and those who don't will get to enjoy a wonderfully advanced, state of the art action ride so I think the situation is a win/win. The ride gets my complete approval despite some of the horrid decisions made by Micheal Bay in his films because, again, the ride is not connected to the films by means of canon, simply by means of design and inspiration.

In a completely unrelated note, I was fortunate enough to run into Al Lutz, Dustysage and a few others during Thursday's soft opening. It was nice to meet you all in person.

• failure for lunch

Me and the Mrs. loved the ride. Universal has a winner on it's hands with Transformers!
    The park is very light on attractions at the moment, and this is EXACTLY what the park
    needed. The line is immersive, the ride itself is great; an overall repeatable experience.

Me and my fiance both hated Spider-Man. I honestly don't get what all the hype is about.
    Let alone is the ride not the best ever in my opinion, it wasn't even good... it was...maybe
    'aiight' at best.

I just don't care for Marvel. Nothing personal, it just bores me. I always wondered if that was the reason I gave Spider-Man such a low grade. It had great special effects and fireball explosions and some fancy high tech new ride system that everybody seems to make the biggest deal out of...and yet I came off the ride not getting what all the hoopla is all about.

Did the ride really suck or am I just really that bored with the world of Spider Man? Transformers was a great way to answer that question!

Transformers, not only has the same ride system as Spider-Man, but it also has another thing in common: the movies were horrible to me and bored me to death. It was somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd movie where I completely forgot why I loved Transformers so much as a kid. Michael Bay is an awful person and has a knack of making me hate nearly anything he touches.

Transformers was fantastic! It's such a good ride, it actually makes you forget how awful the movies were...yeah, THAT good. He must've been on family leave or maybe had jury duty the entire time this ride was created.

Two thumbs up over here. Well worth the season pass we bought earlier this year.

Way to go Universal!!! The pressure is on you now DCA!
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

[For HHN nerds:
    I don't see how the "Behind the Mummy" spot will work as a maze location anymore with this new ride, since the old Backdraft queue is now the Transformers queue once it reaches 80 minutes (which it easily got to at around 1 PM) on a day when most people there didn't even know it was open, so imagine the crowds come October. That's not even mentioning that all three of the entrances (regular, Gate A and single rider) as well as the exit are in direct path of where the old maze queue would be. This is too much for a line and crowd operator to handle, I'm sure. As some have speculated before, the line will indeed have to veer off to somewhere else (this is if they even put mazes down there this year), which will probably be under the escalators.]
    Don't worry, they have a plan for where and how that maze is going to fit.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• former CM

My 6-year old and I rode today it and loved it.

Impressions:

1. I'm prone to motion sickness and usually feel a bit woozy after getting off the Simpsons ride, but I did not feel the slightest bit motion sick after getting off this Transformers ride; I felt exhilarated and inspired to congratulate every cast member in an army uniform, or at least tell then, "good attraction." Maybe I was too caught up in my role of saving our human race by keeping that important power thingy from Megatron to think of my own human physical limitations--such was my desire to win the respect of Optimus Prime. Riding it twice in a row might have messed me up, had I been so foolish.

2. What impressed me most was how well integrated the film elements were with the physical objects that framed them. In contrast, the undersea fish on the Nemo Submarine voyage seem out-of-place in their underwater, big-screen TVs with 2D images, while Transformers once convinced me (for maybe half a second) that we were actually moving very quickly down a street. Of course, the speed of tech innovation is accelerating and this ride is centered around tech, so I don't expect the attraction to age as well as the Haunted Mansion. (If Transformers is still among my favorite rides around 2055, I'll apologize to Universal during Disney's two-year-long 100th Anniversary.)

3. Sorry, but I'm like the South Park character who asked, "If there is a god, why does Michael Bay get to keep making movies?" Yet, just as the ambitious, belly-flop
    movie "Water World" begat a long-running stunt show that my kid and I still loved seeing today, so too have Bay's "Transformers" (surprisingly) spawned something I really like. Bay is a graduate of the great Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, and this attraction might be a small tribute to that amazing, important, unfortunately named trade school that produces some wealthy artists. I didn't think I'd ever write this, and I might regret it after his next soul-less movie, but congrats to Michael Bay for his role in this amazing artistic success. I got the feel from this ride that many artists and artistic engineers (Congrats mainly to all of you!) were all "on their best game" at the same time--and that a lot of pride, intense work, brains and long hours went into this--not just money and marketing meetings. Though now the (often wonderful) marketing folks have the important responsibility of bringing guests to this great attraction and helping to reward all involved. If this is a hit, Universal and perhaps other daring ride creators & investors might continue to swing for home runs like this.

4. The employees on this ride are great (Part 1): While we were waiting during a breakdown, a cast member/soldier came down the line, late 1960s, very early 70s
    Pan-Am like, giving everyone free, small bags of pretzles. Yes, you read that correctly; I'm not making that up. At that moment, Universal Hollywood became the 7th theme park I love (joining Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, WDW's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Cedar Point, and Knott's.) Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom are my first loves, but I couldn't imagine Disney ever giving me pretzels while I'm waiting for a ride to (hopefully) begin--or passing out free hot chocolate when it rains as Universal Hollywood does--that's Universal loving and it should be universally loved.

5. The employees are great (Part 2): To their credit, the employees in soldier uniforms seemed out to set loading and unloading records by respectfully & entertainingly yelling at guests while reminding us of our most immediate tasks. Those soldiers had a mission to accomplish and their urgency fit this.
    Imitating drill sergeants while remaining polite was extremely impressive! Well done! Later in the day on the upper lot, I walked past a soldier from this attraction and said, "Good attraction." He responded perfectly in character, "Thank you, sir!" It reminded me of how (in the 80s) I used to stride, skulk, panther-lope or strut across Main Street in my Jungle Cruise costume on my way to lunch or after my shift was over, pretending to be a bad a** while looking for opportunities to be polite and helpful.

--Tom Sinsky

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-25-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Typos

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wait a minute....

Spoiler
    Does Sideswipe DIE??? I coulda sworn he got sucked up by Devastator

And my biggest wish for the ending is to have Optimus Prime be an animatronic. Woulda been so cool to have it talking to us in full scale...

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^heyyy it could happen ONE day......if the ride is popular enough maybe they can invest in adding him in.........not for a while..but maybe one day

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^heyyy it could happen ONE day......if the ride is popular enough maybe they can invest in adding him in.........not for a while..but maybe one day

It depends on the layout i think too. Since the ride makes full use of screens, i don't know how much space there is between one wall and the other. They might not be able to fit one in.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• -

I rode this yesterday and was blown away. I felt the detail in the queue was easily on par with Indy. The ride itself was awesome in its blending of real sets and 3D projections. So much so that I found it really hard to trace the movement of the ride vehicle though the building.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  2. 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
  3. 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  4. 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
  5. 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  6. 04-22-2012, 10:47 AM
  7. 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  8. 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
  9. 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
  10. 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM