View Poll Results: What did you think of TRANSFORMERS THE RIDE 3D?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUTOBOTS, ROLL OUT!! AMAZING! MUST RIDE!

40 72.73%
  • Really good ride but Spider-Man might be better

15 27.27%
  • Just OK

0 0%
  • Didn't like it

0 0%
  • Don't waste your time

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

Transformer's The Ride 3D - MiceChat Reviews & Guide

Updated Information On Universal Studios Hollywood's newest attraction Transformers: The Ride 3D (updated May 25th, 2012 with additional images)

We first posted this review when we heard that Universal's new
    Transformers: The Ride 3D might open for "Technical Rehearsals" as early as April 19th. On the 18th, we were contacted by Universal representatives and invited to come down the next morning and see for ourselves. Sure enough, the ride opened with the park at 10am and we rode repeatedly for a couple of hours (as the ride had a very short line). We were also invited to N.E.S.T. headquarters to walk the track of this new mega-attraction prior to its opening to the public. We have visited the attraction multiple times (before and after its opening to the public) and even attended the official grand opening press event on May 24th, 2012. Below, you'll find photos from a variety of our visits.

No lines at opening on the first day of Tech rehearsals

So what did we think of this attraction? Well, quite frankly, we were blown away by it. The 3D is on par or better than what you see on Star Tours, but on this attraction, the simulator seats 12 and moves on a track with a full range of motion (up, down, dodge, shake, spin), with crisp audio, and an action packed story line which will have you exhausted at the end. Yes, it's as amazing as it sounds.

(Note - we posted part of this review after a walk-through of the attraction we took on April 12th. We've updated the review and republished below with additional information and thoughts after having ridden the attraction early in the morning on April 19th. It was updated again after the grand opening ceremony on May 24th.)

What is Transformers: The Ride 3D?

Official Web Site: Transformers The Ride 3D at Universal Studios Hollywood
    Ride Length: about Four minutes long
    Height Restrictions: 48” tall to ride alone; 40” to ride accompanied
    Front of Line: Gate A (Universal's front of line program) and Single Rider line
    Track Length: 2000 ft
    Top Speed: Simulated speeds up to 60mph

The ride vehicles (though you will never see the motion base as it is hidden by the loading platform)

Vehicles: 12 passengers, 3 rows of four, track-based roaming flight simulator, 360º capability
    weight: 12,000lbs
    Vehicle onboard sound: 5,000 watts of sound, 14 channel audio
    Practical Effects:
    Strobe, Water, Heat, Fog
    HD3D Screens : 14 total, maximum height: 60', front, rear and compound curve screens
    Projectors: 34

Let's take a tour:

The boxy (sound stage like) show building is masked only by a larger than life mural of transformers in battle. You can't miss it as you descend the Starway from the upper lot. Upon entering the attraction show building, you'll find yourself in N.E.S.T. headquarters (Nonbiological Extraterrestrial Species Treaty). Here, we are divided up into three groupings; Regular queue, Gate-A (front of the line), and Single Rider. Form there, the lines separate and begin to set up the storyline for the adventure ahead.

Not only is the queue well themed, it is also quite large and completely temperature controlled (which will be a blessing this summer).

While in the queue, you'll learn that it is a time of extreme danger. The Decepticons are on the attack in pursuit of the "All Spark" that would give them ultimate power. As you might expect from a theme park attraction, you are recruited to help fight the Decepticons and soon find yourself aboard your very own Transformer vehicle to join the fight.

The All Spark

Click for larger, downloadable image.

grab your protective glasses and get in the EVAC

Grabbing a pair of 3D glasses we hop on board and are off for 4 minutes of high-tech wizardry and fun.

If there are smaller ones in your party that cannot or choose not to ride, there is a waiting area just to the left of the loading platform.

The waiting area window looks out onto the returning vehicles.

Each vehicle is a roaming flight simulator that darts, spins and careens through practical sets that are perfectly blended with High Definition 3D projections to create an impressive illusion of reality. The attraction fuses rear-projection HD3D screens, practical sets, heat, water and smoke, and flight simulator technology.

All of the photos you see below from the actual ride portion of the attraction were taken while on a guided walking tour we took on April 13th. You are not actually permitted to take photos while on the ride, so we were quite fortunate (and thankful) to have been invited to take these photos before the attraction opened to the public. Some of these shots are with work lights on, and others in show mode.

From the moment you step into the queue, until the ride is done, you'll be part of the action. The tension ratchets up from one room to the next in the queue, until you are ready to hop aboard an EVAC and fight the bad guys for yourself. The brilliance of the story is that you really don't need to know it at all. The bad guys are have taken something that could destroy the world and you need to get it back. If you pay attention, you can learn even more, which makes the ride very repeatable (in fact, you'll be compelled to get right back in line if you experience the same emotions about the attraction as we did.)

With Spiderman and Harry Potter in Florida, and now Transformers in Los Angeles, Universal has amassed an impressive collection of dark-rides that rival the best of Disney. We were blown away by the technology of this new attraction. As of the writing of this article (prior to the opening of Radiator Springs Racers at Disney) we feel that Transformers is poised to battle Disney for best new attraction in the Southern California market and one of the top attractions overall in Southern California, if not the world.

When Can You Ride?
    As of Mary 24th, 2012, this ride was officially opened to the public.

Our Suggestion?
    Buy an annual pass, because you are going to want to visit this attraction several times this summer. Universal seems to have a solid hit on their hands and may have built a ride that at one time would only have been possible by Disney. Kudos to Universal Creative, we can't wait to see what they have cooked up for their next big project, Harry Potter.
    The Grand Opening Ceremony:

After 4 weeks of "Technical rehearsal", or soft opening for you Disney folk, Transformers: The Ride 3D officially opened with fanfare, a little pyro, and a few celebrities thrown into the mix on Thursday May 24th, 2012.

The Bumblebee walk around character was a big hit.

The walk around characters look amazing

Imagine having to walk around in one of these costumes in the heat of summer.

The king of cinema, Steven Spielberg, was hanging out at the grand opening ceremony.

Optimus Prime chatting up the crowd.

After a taped message from Michael Bay, Director of the Transformers movies, and the arrival of General Moreshower, a staged battle took place that culminated in the opening of the ride.

General Morshower began the ceremony.

"I'm Michael Bay and this @#%! just got real. Thank you."

Then the explosions happened.

ACTION!!!

You can almost see Optimus Prime.

Protect the Allspark!

Larry Kurzweil, President, Universal Hollywood.
    He should be happy

While there were many interesting people in attendance, not the least of which was executive producer Steven Speilberg, none of them took the stage during the ceremony. The star of this show was the ride itself.

Bumblebee made an appearance as a car (there is a walk around Bumblebee as well)

All of the creative and executive teams got first dibs on the ride. The VIP's, celebrities, and then the throngs of press from around the globe were given the green light to head in.

As the executives and creative team exited the attraction after the press event, we caught their reactions

Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime exiting the ride...

and smiling

General Morshower

Chick Russell, Show Producer, Universal Creative, Universal Parks and Resorts.

The First Official Guests Arrive:

We were able to catch the first official guests arriving at the attraction in a wave of excitement

And in they went

And the Lower Lot filled with guests

We asked one of the first little boys out of the attraction what he thought, his answer: "Freakin' AWESOME!". It's going to be a very good summer for Universal.

Have you visited Universal Studios Hollywood's Transformers The Ride 3D? Let us know what you think and don't forget to vote in the poll.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-25-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Updated with information on soft opening

• Parking Lot > DCA

re: Transformer's The Ride 3D - MiceChat Reviews & Guide

Neat! Although part of me is bummed that (one of) the Munster's soundstages is really no more..

• Circle of Ancients

Looks amazing, can't wait to get on this thing. And if it's even 1/2 as good as Spiderman then it's still going to be an amazing ride.

I've been thinking for awhile that I need to take the kids to Universal... ((We know live closer so I have no excuse for not doing it yet)) Looks like we will be taking a trip this summer

Riding next week! Can't Wait!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by In the Parks View Post
    one of the top attractions in the world...
    Buy an annual pass, because you are going to want to visit this attraction several times

Wow, That's some strong words from a Disney fan site. (Competition is a GOOD thing! Come on Disney, lets see your response!)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Wow, That's some strong words from a Disney fan site. (Competition is a GOOD thing! Come on Disney, lets see your response!)
    As a pioneering Disney nerd and Disneyland fanatic, it has taken me a LONG time to warm up to Universal. With Spiderman, I started to open my eyes. By the time the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened in Florida I was a fan. And with what we've seen of Transformers I can only say WOW! Universal is trying harder than perhaps any other theme park brand to win customer hearts and attention.

I'm still crazy in love with Disney and feel that the competition (or even war) between Disney and Universal will be GREAT for theme park fans in general.

The best thing that could happen to Disney is for Universal to have a record summer. Imagine the budgets that Imagineering might be given if Transformers does really well.

This is the most exciting time for SoCal theme park fans since the early days of Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm when they went back and forth trying to one up each other. Disneyland has been without a major competitor for so long, that I don't think they really felt the need to compete. By the time Uni Hollywood opens their Harry Potter attraction, I expect that all that will have changed. Uni wants a piece of the pie!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• former CM

This may be premature, but
    CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU, Universal!

I'm glad we purchased the 5 visits (now for $59) pass at Costco!

Off track: when we were there we were happily surprised at how excellent
    the park-roaming characters are.

P.S., Hey Universal, please check out Mickey Mouse's house in Toontown at Disneyland and use their multi-room technique so you can have two to four (depending on the crowds) Ollivanders performing at once in his wand shop in your upcoming Hollywood Harry Potter land.

• "The Musical Quil"

Everyone was boasting the looks of this new Transformer vehicle would rival Carsland's new residents... I know we're missing the wheels but it looks pretty bland to me, not much different from Spidey.

"Is that a pinstripping tattoo I see back there?"

Granted the concept art looked amazing!

DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

I'm just glad that there are practical effects and real sets along with the 3d screens. It looks like the one in Singapore is mostly screens (at least from what I have seen). Blending in with real sets and effects (a la spiderman) is much preferred imo.

Looks awesome! Great pictures Fishbulb and thank you MiceChat!

• Minion

If I love Star Tours 3d. I will LOVE Transformers 3d 10x more. So excited.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    Everyone was boasting the looks of this new Transformer vehicle would rival Carsland's new residents... I know we're missing the wheels but it looks pretty bland to me, not much different from Spidey

I never thought about what the boats look like in Pirates till this moment,
    and I wouldn't mind living in a tall building with an ugly exterior
    because I'd be inside and wouldn't have to look at it.

The Transformers vehicles could be "not much different from Spidey" and
    still be part of the best American theme park ride
    outside of Florida.

And wait till your vehicle
    transforms!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    It could be "not much different from Spidey" and
    still be part of the best American theme park ride
    outside of Florida.
    Exactly what I was going to say. :-)

• Banned User

may have built a ride that at one time would only have been possible by Disney
    Since when? Disney hasn't done anything to match Spider-man. Transformers is another leap ahead. Universal is clearly leading here.
    Last edited by StevenW; 04-13-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  2. 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
  3. 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  4. 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
  5. 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  6. 04-22-2012, 10:47 AM
  7. 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  8. 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
  9. 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
  10. 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM