Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Re: (Rumor) T2:3D to End it's Run at USH by the end of this Summer?

Quote Originally Posted by rafa1587 View Post
    Yeah Waterworld has been confirmed to be demolished along with the Gibson venue, after HHN 2012 so expect lots of "stardust " in late fall early winter. as for the other ride , T2 is going to be closed from what i read online. despicable me might come in but i would be so sure of that.
    Are you sure? Ive been hearing so many rumors that my head is spinning. I would love it to be true. That's a perfect place to put it.

There are people who are convinced that Waterworld isn't going anywhere because its the highest rated show in the park. However against Potter there is seriously no contest. Fans and people who like the shows come to Universal for WW, but only a certain amount come to the park JUST for it. Its one of those things that people see once they get here, but didn't come for or know about beforehand. I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep it, its a fun show, its probably the best thing to come out of the movie. but they don't sell any WW merch (that I know of, but I could be wrong about that), and it isn't a major money maker for the park. Potter will be. While the majority of guests don't come to Uni JUST for WW, people will be coming worldwide exclusively FOR The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Personally the amount of space it would free up would be perfect. The Gibson (Which is mostly confirmed) and WW (which I haven't heard officially yet), plus Curious George (a rumor that seems to be floating around) would be an enormous amount of space and quite enough I think. Unless (alternately) they take out Shrek there just doesn't seem to be any other way to fit it into the park.

(Well, I HAVE heard rumors of them moving back FROM the Gibson, into the tram road and the garages, and re routing the tram tour....but that just seems like a bad idea. Why would you want to hide the area when it could be front and center at the front of the park? Save the back area for expansion space if need be.)

Also, while I really REALLY hope construction starts after HHN, they wont be able to remove the Gibson until after DEC. Its last scheduled show is on Dec. 28....but there has been some prep work already started around that area, Soil samples and such. However, they COULD start dismantling WW in preparation for construction at the first of the year so anything is possible at this point.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• Rating: Awesome

From an inside source in the entertainment department (which runs WW), that show is not on the chopping block, but anything else with the exception of the studio tour Simpsons and Transformer could be. This source said that there is no set place for HP as of yet. They are still in the planning stages in terms of layout and space needed. I doubt we will see anything until Jan 1st or so b/c of how busy USH is from the start of the summer season (around memorial) till the end of December.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Let's just put it like this: NONE of you know what's going to happen, probably because THEY still don't even know what's going to happen yet. So any rumor or confirmation you've heard is merely a person speculating-but-calling-it-fact, straight up lying, stirring up the pot, or just relaying someone else's wrong info which just results in a really long game of telephone and makes it even further from the truth than it already was. I don't mind the discussion and speculation, but acting like we have info is just annoying and no conversation should spread out further from that.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by scottpilgrim View Post
    From an inside source in the entertainment department (which runs WW), that show is not on the chopping block, but anything else with the exception of the studio tour Simpsons and Transformer could be. This source said that there is no set place for HP as of yet. They are still in the planning stages in terms of layout and space needed. I doubt we will see anything until Jan 1st or so b/c of how busy USH is from the start of the summer season (around memorial) till the end of December.
    Does that mean that WW definitely isn't on the chopping block, or that no one has been told that it is because I have an inside source in Trams who also hasn't been told if the Trams will be effected, and that's one of the other rumors. The only thing they can confirm are the soil samples from the Gibson in 8 drums in the tram garage.

Personally (in my humble opinion) pushing HP back into the Tram garage area tram road area is a bad idea. The tear-down/rebuild-somewhere-else ratio is high (Ie tearing down the garages and possible the queue for the trams and building them in some other location) and it hides the area from the outside world. If it was going into the Gibson/WW spot you would see the roofs of the Hogsmead buildings and that's a great weenie for those who aren't inside the park; great advertising. There's no great viewing location for Hogwarts or Hogsmead if its in the middle of the park.

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    Let's just put it like this: NONE of you know what's going to happen, probably because THEY still don't even know what's going to happen yet. So any rumor or confirmation you've heard is merely a person speculating-but-calling-it-fact, straight up lying, stirring up the pot, or just relaying someone else's wrong info which just results in a really long game of telephone and makes it even further from the truth than it already was. I don't mind the discussion and speculation, but acting like we have info is just annoying and no conversation should spread out further from that.
    You're right, but speculating is FUN! Everyone has their own opinions about where stuff will go. The only thing we can be super sure of is that the Gibson is most likely on the chopping block. It will clear up an enormous amount of land and it would be silly for them not to use it.

Now, where from the Gibson, will the rest of the area jut out to, because there are three possible locations. WW (which no one likes the idea of but would be an excellent place to put it), Shrek/Curious George/the Old Western Street/Shrek store/Western Stunt show location (which is an enormous amount of space but also places HP smack dab into the middle of the park and cuts into the walkways. This one is purely my own speculation with nothing to back it up), or Curious George/Gibson/back into the tram garage area (which people seem to think is most likely).

Something else I just thought of, they could use Gibson/WW for now (provided WW is even on the table) and save the Tram Garage and that back area for expansion space. Personally I think that would probably make the most sense, because then (unlike 6 Points, if they expand down there) people won't be trapped waiting for the "Hogwarts Express" or whatever brought them there to get back, they could put a walkway back into the park.

Also, I doubt that Uni creative is completely clueless about where its going to go...They are around 7 months away from breaking ground (If they start in January) they can't be bipping along willy nilly just trying to figure stuff out. They probably know exactly where its going and are know drawing up the plans to make it work. Especially if they are doing prep work on the Gibson grounds. They probably had a loose idea where it would go when they made the announcement last Dec.

They've already announce the darn thing, why is its location so super secret?
    Last edited by s8ntmark; 05-09-2012 at 07:55 PM.

• Rating: Awesome

My source is pretty high up in the management in entertainment, so i do not think they are spouting BS. Waterworld is far and away the highest rated attracted at USH, and hasn't slipped in those ratings for a long time. This has also included guests being interviewed about TF3D and who have seen WW, still rate WW higher by a large margin. Also, USH doesn't need another "weenie." It has 3 extremely iconic images (main entrance gate/red carpet, globe, and USh Hollywood sign) at the very front of the park. Gibson/shrek/tram garage makes the most sense for the park and for sight lines to the studio. The tram garage is easily relocated to the overflow parking near the bottom level of curious george parking.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

If that's true, then the only thing I'm concerned about is how they will deal with the fact that Shrek and the Gibson are on a pretty substantial hill above the Tram area. Is the whole area going to be a slight downgrade to Hogwarts?

I was concerned that only taking out Shrek wouldn't be enough room, but if they push back into the Tram area (and even the surrounding Hillside a bit) that's more then enough. It would mean we aren't getting Mini Potterland (Which is one of the things I was concerned about if they didn't take out WW. Its WAY more room than if it was just Gibson/WW).

It also makes expansion in the back lot a bit easier (if that's in the cards)

I think the worst thing here is if WWHP goes basically anywhere in the upper lot, the Carnival Games (where I've worked for 4 years) would have to be demolished.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^sorry and hope you can get a new job if that happens...but sorry to be honest here that place for most of us is not an area I would mind see going for Potterland....for me Waterworld is going to be the biggest thing I'll miss and I think many will miss the shows...it might be older but its very liked..I would say a classic attraction for the park like the Tour

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    If that's true, then the only thing I'm concerned about is how they will deal with the fact that Shrek and the Gibson are on a pretty substantial hill above the Tram area. Is the whole area going to be a slight downgrade to Hogwarts?
    T2:3D is built on top of a parking garage, which is how that part of the park is at the same level as the upper lot. So they could do something like that.

I would think a dark ride would fit in the T2 area. Maybe something like a Men in Black or Toy Story Midway Mania style interactive ride. They have the Globe Theater across from T2 that is only used for corporate events right now. They could easily replace the facilities they lose by putting a corporate event space into Potter (maybe on the second floor of some shops). They'd probably be able to charge more for being inside the Potter area and it'd free up space in the middle of the park.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Even though they haven't announced that Shrek is going to be taken out for Potter, I wonder if the fact that it and Despicable Me being essentially the same attraction is an early tell tale sign about its future at USH.

They aren't exactly the same attraction, but their similarity might be enough that there only needs to be one.

There's also a couple other reason why I think Shrek might be coming down. Despicable Me (Unlike Shrek) is a true Universal Property instead of a licensed one from Dreamworks, it might make running it a lot cheaper.

Also, the reason why they'll probably tear down the Shrek building instead of replace the theme is because I found out the other day that Shrek isn't actually set up for 3D glasses maintenance. For whatever reason they never put a glasses washing machine into the building, so they have to cart the glasses over to the Terminator building to wash them. If you were going to take out one building and put a new show into one it makes more sense to use the building that is set up for the type of show you want to do.

Plus Shrek is right in front of the Gibson. Perfect placement.
    Last edited by s8ntmark; 05-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Despicable Me at T2 and Potter at Gibson area.

What I think, not what I've heard.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Even though they haven't announced that Shrek is going to be taken out for Potter, I wonder if the fact that it and Despicable Me being essentially the same attraction is an early tell tale sign about its future at USH.
    Shrek is a show. Despicable Me is a ride. If anything, Shrek shares more redundancy with Terminator. Although DM hasn't been announced for USH anyway.

There's also a couple other reason why I think Shrek might be coming down. Despicable Me (Unlike Shrek) is a true Universal Property instead of a licensed one from Dreamworks, it might make running it a lot cheaper
    Are you sure Universal had to purchase licensing from Dreamworks? They were both distributors for the first two Shrek films, before Paramount bought the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Shrek is a show. Despicable Me is a ride. If anything, Shrek shares more redundancy with Terminator. Although DM hasn't been announced for USH anyway.

Are you sure Universal had to purchase licensing from Dreamworks? They were both distributors for the first two Shrek films, before Paramount bought the studio.
    this person hit it right on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    I think the worst thing here is if WWHP goes basically anywhere in the upper lot, the Carnival Games (where I've worked for 4 years) would have to be demolished.
    What? Why? You mean Flintstones yes? That's not near the rumored entrance of WWHOP. Plus Universal will probably relocate the carnival games area if that was the case anyways.

I wonder how long DM will take to be built. Obviously the exterior is a simple paint job (along with Gru's house which took USF all of three months to build), but the interior must be gutted to install all of the simulator pads. Simpsons was a simple retrofit and that took nine months! Let's not forget the remodeling of the Cyber Grill and gift shops, as well as potential other projects around the area. If Curious George is indeed leaving along with Shrek, ironically the play area will move to its old location where Coke Soak now sits, most likely Minion-themed. (giving USH a virtual Despicable Me theme area)

This is a pretty big undertaking from what it sounds: an entire relocation of Universal's child friendly area. (although WWHOP is rumored to include the childrens' Hippogriff coaster from IOA) And it makes an insane amount of sense. Just around the corner is the Animal Actors show and the edge it sits on makes for one of the more sedate areas of USH, perfect for families. It's also natural and creates a flow at the park's entrance: kids to the left, thrillseekers to the right. (just not a sharp left or else they'll enter House of Horrors )

But overall I wonder if T2 will close prior to Labor Day as like I said, this has the potential to be so much MORE than a simple retrofit plus they probably want the area opened by summer 2013 in time for Despicable Me 2. I'm not sure if Curious George and Shrek will coincide in existence for even a little bit, as they will want to get a jump on Potter construction ASAP. Smartly, they're having DM take priority as they can't just rid of their big child-friendly area with nothing for years. A very-nicely JP themed playground is even being built on the lower lot due to the intense thrill rides! (would you believe that Transformers, at 40 inches has the smallest height requirement in the lower lot?)

Although technically taking out Shrek/Curious George and essentially replacing them by ridding of another monster capacity eater is a small problem even for just two to three years. I'm crossing my fingers that USH looks towards the abandoned Wild West theater for something to help soak up guests in 2014. Especially since when Potter hits, every day will be as packed as Halloween Horror Nights.

One thing I have found admittedly humorous about all of this is that it's yet another case of USH recycling out a family attraction while USF still retains it. I believe they will still have Fievel's Playland, Curious George, Shrek 4D and the E.T. Adventure when all is said and done. If kids want to relive their SoCal childhoods, Florida seems like the place to be!

EDIT: Oh and on Potter: I'm going to guess it'll level Shrek/CG and the Gibson, extending a bit behind CityWalk but not much else. WaterWorld is both out of the way and in-between lies important employee areas, including the entrance, not to mention how incredibly popular it still is. (although it could admittedly use some TLC to look as nice as its newer foreign counterparts) The studio tour will probably retain its entrance for now as well, it's just too hard to relocate and the lower lot is much too crammed.

I can't see Potter being too big, but aside from the Forbidden Journey's showbuilding (around the size of the Gibson), the primary area that isn't a retrofitted Lost Continent at IOA is smallish, I could see Hogsmead snuggling into that Curious George/Shrek area, with FJ as the only real ride. Hippogriff may be a small coaster but there actually may be no room.
    Last edited by goldenstate5; 05-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast