• Elk Grove Chris

Universal Studios Hollywood-Clueless to Tour Plan

Hey,

Have not been to Universal Hollywood in a long time, prior to any of the rides. Going to do a one day trip as part of a longer trip to DL Thanksgiving week with the family, youngest 11. Are there any basic guides for what to do first if we want to do most of the big rides/shows? TIA.

Any recommendations on nearby hotels? Only staying one night, heading to Anaheim for the rest of the week.
    Last edited by chris001; 06-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood-Clueless to Tour Plan

I'd hit the lower lot right away before it gets populated. Do everything you can down there, then go up to the top. Definitely hit the tram tour and plan for your shows. Don't they give you a list of what's showing when?

And have a great day! I miss Universal, haven't been in a long time.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Any recommendations on nearby hotels? Only staying one night, heading to Anaheim for the rest of the week.
    Don't bother w/ a second hotel. Universal closes pretty early, plenty of time to get down to Anaheim and stay there that night.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Don't bother w/ a second hotel. Universal closes pretty early, plenty of time to get down to Anaheim and stay there that night.
    define pretty early. we are going to be open later than we have in years this year.

just check out the site for the best deals. you can buy tickets online and just bring the confirmation number to will call to print them out. trust me, the deals online will be better than what we will have at the booths

• Rookie Chatter

Definitely go to the tour first - the park recommends it first for a reason! It still gets very crowded later in the afternoon. I would also suggest what Alphabasset said - lower lot as soon as you can. Consider hitting the Simpsons Ride after the tour as well. After you've done the lower lot you can spend the rest of the day on the shows and pretty much cover everything.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

If you get there at opening, you should be able to get the whole park done.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Elk Grove Chris

Thanks everyone. Thought about just staying in Anaheim the whole trip. But figured we would spend half a day in Hollywood the night before we went to Universal.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    define pretty early. we are going to be open later than we have in years this year.
    The USH website shows the park closing at 7pm or 8pm most of the summer. In the off season, the park closes at 5 or 6, so I guess 7 or 8 is later by definition.

USH is scheduled to close at 6 or 7 Thanksgiving week according to their site.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

We've been extending park hours recently. Especially deeper into summer hours will get longer.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    The USH website shows the park closing at 7pm or 8pm most of the summer. In the off season, the park closes at 5 or 6, so I guess 7 or 8 is later by definition.

USH is scheduled to close at 6 or 7 Thanksgiving week according to their site.
    bummer, i guess on the site they shortened the hours. i swear i was looking at july's park hours a month ago and it was 8-10 just about every day

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Betty Juice View Post
    Definitely go to the tour first - the park recommends it first for a reason! It still gets very crowded later in the afternoon. I would also suggest what Alphabasset said - lower lot as soon as you can. Consider hitting the Simpsons Ride after the tour as well. After you've done the lower lot you can spend the rest of the day on the shows and pretty much cover everything.
    I'd have to recommend against doing the tour first. They recommend it, everyone does it, it gets really busy. Do the lower lot while everyone else is on the tour and then head up and do the upper lot with the tour last or later in the day.