Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boise Mouse

Post VIP Experience.... mehhhhhhh

Our experience started with valet parking. We arrived at Universal about 1/2 hour before the 9:00a time they had told us to be there, so we grabbed a coffee in Universal City. We made our way to the gates, and were checked in and led to the second floor VIP room. There we were greeted with muffins, croissants, cookies, juices, and coffee. They even had a really cool "make-your-own" espresso machine. We met our tour guide, grabbed several bottles of water, and off we went.

We covered the rides first. You are walked to the front of the line at Simpsons, Jurassic, The Mummy, Terminator, House of Horrors, and then new ride, Transformers. By the time this portion of the tour is over, it is off to lunch.

The lunch is in a building not accessible to the general public. The selection was amazing, and the food was not the typical "theme park" food at all. They had (wonderful) sauted shrimp, pastas, salads, cheeses, crackers, breads, smoked salmon, lasagne, Asian kabobs, chicken (all sorts), fruits, potatoes, meatballs, ..... really, the list goes on and on. There were sodas, water, juices, and many different desserts and ice cream to choose from. All-you-can-eat buffet style.

After lunch, you are taken to the trolley for your back lot tour. This is the only portion of this experience that I had some serious issues with. The first was, each and every person pays the same amount for this tour, and it's no small fee, $250 to be exact. We had myself, my husband, our daughter and our son, so that's $1000 for one day of fun. When we approached the trolley, we just happen to be the last of our group. The trolley we were on had 8 seats at the front that were on the outside without an obstructed view, four facing each way. By the time we loaded the trolley, we were occupying the very back four seats. These seats are encased in windows. At no time during the rest of the day did the tour guide ask the guests that got the "good" seats to swap with the guests in enclosed section of the trolley. This really put a damper on taking ANY photos at all. I didn't really think this was rights, seeing as how, as I mentioned above, everyone pays the same amount, therefore, everyone should have the same experience.

The second problem was the exhaust fumes. Being seated in the back, the fumes were, at times, unbearable! I had a sweatshirt with me, and whenever the trolley was moving, I had to cover my nose and mouth. My 17 year old daughter had the same experience. We were sitting in the very back right seats (don't sit there.)

The third problem again stems from the trolley. As the day went on, the seats on the inside of the trolley got very, very hot. The windows do not open, and towards the end of the tour, the heat and staleness was almost unbearable.

The people in the front with the open seating had none of these problems. So.... as a note to folks that are planning this trip, when you leave your lunch, make sure you are the first people as you go down the escalator to the backlot tour or you are gonna be at the back of the trolley.

As far as the backlot tour is concerned, less the trolley experience, it was pretty good. I had envisioned stopping more to get out (the agent that sold me the ticked had said that we would get out on Wisteria Lane, which we did not.) We did, however, get a pretty awesome tour of the props warehouse, the costume department, and a set from the TV show Parenthood (which was pretty cool.) We were able to sit in a sound/recording studio as well. We were able to walk around the famous "City Hall" area from Back to the Future, and the War of the Worlds area, too.

The tour ends with Waterworld. You can either sit in the VIP section or in the "soak" section. (Note... if you sit in the soak section, you will more than likely get just that.... soaked! So beware of your cameras.) After Waterworld is over, you can utilize your pass for Front of the Line on any attraction. By the time we got done with Waterworld though, it was 5:00p, so not a lot of time was left before their 6:00p closing that night. I suggest you go on a day that the park might be open later.

The experience, all in all, was pretty good. Being able to get on their "E-ticket" rides without a wait was great, and the lunch was fabulous. Our tour guides was just mehhhh. I think this could have also made a difference to our experience, if she would have been more outgoing and fun. And the trolley (which you are on for a few hours) was REALLY a downer.

From before you enter the front gate:
    Name:  _MG_7224_1 (1024x683) (800x534) (650x434).jpg
Views: 484
Size:  237.6 KB

Breakfast:
    Name:  _MG_7228_1 (1024x683) (800x534) (650x434) (600x401).jpg
Views: 483
Size:  231.6 KB

View from the balcony of the VIP lounge before they open to the public:
    Name:  _MG_7236 (1024x681) (800x532) (650x432).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  233.5 KB

Another view from the balcony's VIP lounge. (A not to people that want to take photos.... they didn't have the doors open, I just walked out here. You are allowed to do that.)
    Name:  _MG_7239 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 481
Size:  190.1 KB

Lunch spread:
    Name:  _MG_7293_1 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 483
Size:  222.4 KB

Lunch desserts:
    Name:  _MG_7294_1 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 477
Size:  210.4 KB

Our table at lunch:
    Name:  _MG_7296 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  223.1 KB

The horrible, dreaded trolley. (The driver wasn't the problem, just to be fair and so no one gets the wrong impression of him. He was pleasant. The problem was the trolley itself.)
    Name:  _MG_7322 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 473
Size:  226.5 KB

A view from our stop at War of the Worlds:
    Name:  _MG_7347 (683x1024) (534x800) (434x650).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  180.3 KB

Re: VIP Experience.... mehhhhhhh

Who was your tour guide?

I'm sorry the trolley was a problem. I hope you voiced your problem with it before you left for the day.

M-F and sometimes Saturday there is filming going on on Wisteria Lane and because of that the Trams aren't allowed down that way.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Who was your tour guide?

I'm sorry the trolley was a problem. I hope you voiced your problem with it before you left for the day.

M-F and sometimes Saturday there is filming going on on Wisteria Lane and because of that the Trams aren't allowed down that way.
    I honestly can't remember her name (it was a very unusual name), but even if I could, I would not post it here. I don't think that would be fair to call someone out on a public forum. She wasn't terrible, just sort of blasť... like she would have really rather been somewhere else that day. I get that... I have days at work like that too. And I really feel that the guides should encourage people to swap seats throughout the tour. I understand that might be tough, as some of the people on those tours probably feel more entitled than others. Maybe that's why they don't do that.... to avoid a conflict.

We did not complain about our experiences, and in hind site, I really wish we would have. They need to know how bothersome the fumes were, and how hot those trolley get. (I assume they know, though.)

As for the Wisteria Lane, they were not filming. I have been on the regular tour when they were, and we did not go down the street. The day we were there, they were not filming. We were told on the phone with the representative that if they were not filming, they would stop the tram. (We were actually told a couple of things by the phone by two different ticket sales reps that ended up not being correct, like that a return day was included in the price of the VIP. They did, however, honor that in the end, so many kudos to Universal. Sadly, after all of the attention Universal gave to the issue in getting us that second return day, we were unable to return on our visit.)

I feel like I sound like we hated it..... we didn't. Just like anything else, it had it's strong points and it's weak points. I just wish our $1000 experience would have been a little more worth it.

Wisteria lane may have also been under construction. They are changing it back to Colonial St. and since the st. is narrow, any construction blocks the trams.

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Wisteria lane may have also been under construction. They are changing it back to Colonial St. and since the st. is narrow, any construction blocks the trams.
    Sorry, I still didn't explain it well. We did go down Wisteria, we even saw two deer. They just didn't stop and let us off.

They are shooting Mockingbird Lane, the Munsters remake, on Colonial St. There is constant construction going on there now, so the tram is bypassing the area.

PMed.

Does that mean the look of the old Munsters house is returning? What other ways are they returning Colonial Street back to pre-Wisteria Lane days? Thanks!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

There's a new exterior for 1313 Mockingbird Lane that has been constructed immediately behind the Chicken Ranch. It's a facade only, not a practical house.

And it doesn't have the look of the the original house used on Colonial Street either. In daylight it looks a lot brighter (lots of purples, plums, and greens).

They've taken down all the wisteria and on the 'in the back lot today' board, it says colonial st, not wisteria.

Hmm.. They didn't take you to Terminator or Animal Actors on the tour?

• former CM

Boisemice, THANK YOU for posting the trip report!

uhh did you guys have a park schedule for the shows and attractions because theres a sign that has a star for the show. because at that showing after you stay in the auditorim for a behind the scenes
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Boise Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by abooch View Post
    Hmm.. They didn't take you to Terminator or Animal Actors on the tour?
    Yes, we did do Terminator. Sorry, I must have left that out. But no..... no Animal Actors.

boise. which time and did it have a star because in a schedule you see the times for the shows and one of those is to have a star.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast