Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Annoying experience at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    That being said, you can't drink a Coke in a Pepsi factory and expect no one to say anything.
    Great analogy!!!

You are at a Theme Park, the point is to HAVE FUN. To think that there was anything malicious in the gentle ribbing for wearing a competitors shirt is taking it too far IMO.

• C4C6C

Again, I think this post by the OP is fake. They didn't even come back to clarify their original post from all of our comments.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Seasick

I remember getting photos with characters at Universal Studios and they would cover any Disney logos with their hands. It was all in good fun.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    Again, I think this post by the OP is fake. They didn't even come back to clarify their original post from all of our comments.
    Well I am back and sorry to take so long to reply. The post is not fake. Perhaps many of you live and attend these parks on a regular basis but I do not. I get down there every two years or so. I know this has happened to me at least twice - beyond that I can't say for sure but starts to bug me when I have the same experience over and over again. And, I apologize for being such a goofy tourist - but I have one hat and one good sweatshirt that I take on all of my side trips - they are all Disney fare. I don't have 10 hats or 10 sweatshirts - I take the ones that I have incase of hot weather or cold weather. I don't even think about whether I should be wearing that or not inside another theme park....I am just prepared for all kinds of weather.

I guess I take things too seriously. I didn't see the humor in it - but when I don't personally know the person making the jab at me, it is hard to recognize humor. Even my husband thought it was unprofessional. I would prefer that people not jump to conclusions that my posts are fake. That is not my style.

• C4C6C

You are entitle to your opinion, but why would you not report this but instead come to a blog to talk about it? That is why I, and many others who have PM'd me, assume it is fake.

As a former USH employee myself, it is not uncommon to make jabs at other theme parks, especially when you know the person works at that park.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Why is this board full of people discussing the good and the bad if that isn't what a board is for?? I will discuss my opinions as you do. I did not report the incidents because it never occurred to me to do so and now after reading the responses here I see that it is my own issue so I will just leave it at that.

• Banned User

The same thing happens in Florida. I wore a WDW shirt to Universal, and was told "you can't get on this ride with that shirt" or "aren't you in the wrong park?" Lame jokes, but I laughed it off. A poster on another site said that he and his young child got lots of flak for wearing a Disney shirt, all day long. That's where they really cross the line. They should leave the kids alone. A child is more likely to take it seriously, and to feel attacked.

Worse, when they were about to embark on a ride, an employee told them that the father couldn't ride with the son because of his Disney attire. The son was already nervous about the ride, and got scared that he would have to ride alone. Is this acceptable? There are limits to "good natured ribbing."
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-11-2012 at 07:32 AM.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So would jokes about the person's race..
    or maybe their weight..
    or that maybe their kid looks like they were beat with the ugly stick..

Humor rarely is 'serious' - but what makes some humor acceptable or not is based on how it offends people or not.
    Okay we are getting way too ahead of ourselves.

On topic, employees joking around about guest wearing other brands to their theme park is just a joke.
    If it was that serious, then a complaint can be made.

I'm personally am not going to wear a Universal shirt at Disney and not expect to be poked fun at, knowing it's not malicious. We all have different emotions, so if it's that serious you know what to do to not get in that situation.

Once again, this situation is not that serious.
    Last edited by BlAcKoUt510; 07-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

When you are an employee, and the B-end of a joke or stunt is a customer... you don't want to find the boundary of what is serious or not. That is just not good common sense as a business person.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I have never heard this. Do you have an example that might refresh my memory?
    I have heard skippers make various jokes along the lines of, I see a couple people here are wearing universal shirts, and leaving them with the head shrinkers (the scene where the small heads are towards the end.)

Once on pirates before departing there was a large group with knotts clothing on, and before our boat departed the lady said see you soon, well for those without knotts shirts on.

They always get a laugh and I have never seen these jokes as being bad.

I've had cast members make jokes with some of the shirts I have worn, I wore a Mt. Dew shirt once, and in the magic shop the worker cracked a joke about the park being a coke park, and I laughed, thought it was funny and went on my way.

Sometimes they are more obvious then other times and can be missed, but they are there.

• 47 SMs in 2 days baby !

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    I've seen plenty of people get mocked for wearing Universal or Knott's merchandise at Disneyland as well. I wouldn't be offended by it, it's just poking fun at the percieved rivalry between the parks.
    exactly!

• Team Hail HYDRA

once i had my disney ponchos and covered mickey with the USH logo

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

It is all simply in good fun. I think it's hilarious. I always tease family and friends from out of town, if they put on some Disney attire, (if we are heading to Universal Orlando) and tell them "I can't go to the parks with you dressed like that"

If they do wear it, I EXPECT Universal team members to make silly jokes about it. It is just in good fun.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Team Hail HYDRA

it is fun

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    I am going to say this is not true. It has happened to you "at least twice"? What, you can't remember? And you didn't report it to a supervisor?

The fact that you are emphasizing Disneyland in your thread and poking at USH seems suspicious.
    I don't find it suspicious. I've had the same experience at least a couple of times over the years. I can't tell you precisely when or what was said or even what I was wearing, because it wasn't a big deal. It was all in good fun, as far as I perceived it.

I've had similar experiences in other settings, too. My favorite - I wore a Carnival shirt on a Royal Caribbean ship once. A crew member offered to let me trade my "ugly" red shirt for a better blue one. I took them up on it and they kept the Carnival T and I walked off in a Royal Caribbean polo.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123