Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Annoying experience at Universal Studios Hollywood.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion and I am usually so caught off guard that I can't think of anything to say in return. We usually visit Universal Studios at some point while doing our Disneyland trip. Emphasis on Disneyland and that US is a side trip but never the destination. I am usually wearing some Disney shirt or hat because I am on vacation. So as I am going into US - I am usually mocked by an employee for wearing that awful Disney stuff. As I said before, this has happened to me at least twice. I am baffled by their negative remarks. Do they really think they would even have a viable theme park if it weren't for the Disneyland crowd?? Or the Disneyland inspiration?? Correct me if I am wrong but no one goes on that trip just to go to US. I also noticed in the Jurassic Park ride the floating mouse ears next to the capsized boat - another jab I guess.

Maybe I am being overly sensitive - but I feel insulted by those remarks and think it thoroughly unprofessional and un called for on their part. They should be thanking Disney for creating a concept that enabled another money-maker for them too.

• Minion

Re: Annoying experience at Universal Studios Hollywood.

i actually think Universal, Knotts, and Six Flags attire should be banned from the Disney Parks
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

How is it any different then the Jungle Cruise skippers cracking jokes about Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm which I have heard more then a few times on my trips.

I think the So. Cal theme parks have a little rivalry to be honest, and those ear on Jurassic Park have been there for as long as I can remember.

Believe it or not many people do go to So. California and see So. Cal sights and never step foot at Disneyland.

I've seen plenty of people get mocked for wearing Universal or Knott's merchandise at Disneyland as well. I wouldn't be offended by it, it's just poking fun at the percieved rivalry between the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    This has happened to me on more than one occasion and I am usually so caught off guard that I can't think of anything to say in return. We usually visit Universal Studios at some point while doing our Disneyland trip. Emphasis on Disneyland and that US is a side trip but never the destination. I am usually wearing some Disney shirt or hat because I am on vacation. So as I am going into US - I am usually mocked by an employee for wearing that awful Disney stuff. As I said before, this has happened to me at least twice. I am baffled by their negative remarks. Do they really think they would even have a viable theme park if it weren't for the Disneyland crowd?? Or the Disneyland inspiration?? Correct me if I am wrong but no one goes on that trip just to go to US. I also noticed in the Jurassic Park ride the floating mouse ears next to the capsized boat - another jab I guess.

Maybe I am being overly sensitive - but I feel insulted by those remarks and think it thoroughly unprofessional and un called for on their part. They should be thanking Disney for creating a concept that enabled another money-maker for them too.
    every day we get tour groups that literally come to Universal Studios Hollywood just for US. so yea... lol and what the other people said, its a theme park rival thing going on. most likely that person who said something about you goes to disneyland once a week.

• Minion

ugh Disneyland does the same if you wear Universal's or Knott's. But why would you even wear Disney clothing to Universal's that's kinda silly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    ugh Disneyland does the same if you wear Universal's or Knott's. But why would you even wear Disney clothing to Universal's that's kinda silly.
    Because Disney is the superior park in comparison
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• MaliBOOMer

It's just poking fun, people take things to seriously...
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

I always thought the rib poking was done in good humor. I've never seen actual scorn from fans of one park towards fans of another.

Did you ride the Simpsons? That ride filled to the brim with jabs at Disney. I personally love it when parks take jabs at each other and their fan bases.

Its all good fun. You shouldn't be offended.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    It's just poking fun, people take things to seriously...
    Thank you

, lol I was on the tram once and we were at the forest/fort once and we saw a deer and the tram driver said "hey look it's Bambi"
    but let's not forget Disney filmed pirates of the carribean, princess diaries, national treasure, bed time stories all Disney movies on UNIVERSAL STUDIOS BACK LOT. And not disney studios. So basically Universal Stuios is "world class"

• I am number 4 of 999

I shudder to think of the circumstances I would have to be under to willingly wear a Knott's Berry Farms or Universal Studios Hollywood t-shirt in public.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post

that opinion is subjective.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    How is it any different then the Jungle Cruise skippers cracking jokes about Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm which I have heard more then a few times on my trips.
    I have never heard this. Do you have an example that might refresh my memory?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Believe it or not many people do go to So. California and see So. Cal sights and never step foot at Disneyland.
    This.

I used to work at a store in Fashion Island in Newport Beach and most of the tourists there were only interested in the beaches and going to Hollywood. When I was working there, the OC was on TV and many people would ask where they filmed the show (and they were disappointed to hear that most of it was filmed in Redondo Beach and a Hollywood soundstage!). Not once did they mention going to Disneyland. The only thing I would overhear them talking about was either the beaches or going up to some attraction in LA.

So Cal definitely has two types of tourists -- those who go to Disneyland and those who don't.

Locals generally don't view the parks in that way. If anything they view them as being different, with different things to offer -- no more and no less. Although they would probably agree with you if asked. But this doesn't necessarily factor into which parks they visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I always thought the rib poking was done in good humor. I've never seen actual scorn from fans of one park towards fans of another.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I shudder to think of the circumstances I would have to be under to willingly wear a Knott's Berry Farms or Universal Studios Hollywood t-shirt in public.
    Doesn't matter to locals. Trust me. There are a lot of locals who would laugh just as much if not more at people who walk around in Disneyland attire as they would at people wearing stuff from Knott's or Universal.

When I'm at the Mic at the front of the park, I love poking fun at people with Disney shirts, and tell them to enter the store just to my right to get some USH stuff.

When I do this, I always have a big smile on my face so they always know I'm joking, and they always laugh.

This makes me think you didn't really want to go to UNI in the first place, and that you have your mind set thinking everything in the park is going to be sub-disney.

That's your real problem.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast