Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Grrr, its frustrating that they are moving so quickly on Orlando Transformers but

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Well then, I am sorry that you have never been to a theme park and have no sense of architecture and theme park design. It is really sad considering you are on a theme park website.

Take a look at pictures, Youtube videos, others reviews of parks so you can understand how theme parks work.
    I've been to many theme parks.......I just don't agree with your opinion.

• Suspended

Re: Grrr, its frustrating that they are moving so quickly on Orlando Transformers but

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    I've been to many theme parks.......I just don't agree with your opinion.
    Well, um do you want to provide reasoning behind it? Because I have not heard anyone say that USH is better as a theme park than USF. Unless you have no appreciation for architecture and planning, it is obvious that USF is a better park. It is not opinion but fact.

Show me the excellence in planning and theme environments that USH exhibits. This should be interesting. Cannot wait to see what you will make up to defend USH as being better as a theme park.

• Rookie Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Well, um do you want to provide reasoning behind it? Because I have not heard anyone say that USH is better as a theme park than USF. Unless you have no appreciation for architecture and planning, it is obvious that USF is a better park. It is not opinion but fact.

Show me the excellence in planning and theme environments that USH exhibits. This should be interesting. Cannot wait to see what you will make up to defend USH as being better as a theme park.
    I don't agree with your opinion either. I could give a crap less about the fact that USH isn't as well themed and doesn't have as much variety in terms of attractions as USF does. It is only your opinion that USF is the better park, regardless of the opinions of others that may agree with you. You cannot make a subjective personal opinion statement and call it a fact.

Yes, USF is better planned and better themed, in large part due to it being built specifically to be a theme park first and foremost, and the vast amount of land it has. Of course they have more space and resources to use to make it a larger and more varied park. It's younger, it has the space for all those extra details that make it aesthetically more fluid than USH, which is so tiny in comparison.

But to me, USH still has its own charm. Maybe it's smaller and not as pretty, maybe it doesn't have as much to do - but is that all that makes a theme park to you? There are still plenty of people who like the atmosphere at USH, who enjoy being close to Hollywood, and enjoy the fast-paced feeling in the general area that the park is in. There are still great things about USH, and the fact that they were able to utilize the space they have for anything at all is pretty remarkable.

I would rather go to USH. Hands down, any day. I like that there isn't so much to do, because it doesn't feel like I'm constantly being barraged by things. I like that I can do it all in one day and still have time to spare to just soak up the atmosphere. I love the tram tour and I love the history of USH. Yeah it gets crowded in a few awkward junctions of the park because of the layout, but in a grudging way I love that too. USH has heart and it has character in my opinion. It is unique because of how awkward it is, making it quite a bit different from a typical theme park. For the price I pay for my pass, it is so worth it.

I won't say it's the better park - though in my opinion I would prefer going to USH instead of USF. And it's a bit of a bummer that all I seem to see is people hating on USH and down-talking it for no real reason. I don't see why people can't just appreciate it for what it is without complaining about how it isn't as good as USF and being so gung-ho elitist.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

• Pilot EdForceOne

So you like USH for the stuff that isn't even in the park.. and you appreciate the hassles or nitpicks the park has.. because it gives it charm.

Yet, besides the tram, you really can't put your finger on anything that would make the park itself better than USF.

Not really a convincing argument.. especially when you talk about the stuff not even in the park... and the discussion was about the park itself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Rookie Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So you like USH for the stuff that isn't even in the park.. and you appreciate the hassles or nitpicks the park has.. because it gives it charm.

Yet, besides the tram, you really can't put your finger on anything that would make the park itself better than USF.

Not really a convincing argument.. especially when you talk about the stuff not even in the park... and the discussion was about the park itself.
    I just said I wouldn't say it was better than USF. That was my entire point. I don't want to call one overall better than the other. But I did explain why I like USH, since it was implied by others that USH was a subpar park not even worthy of being liked. Maybe it's more feeling-based than fact-based, but I think my opinion here is still valid and worth something for the discussion at least.
    Last edited by Miss Betty Juice; 08-18-2012 at 06:47 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Betty Juice View Post
    I just said I wouldn't say it was better than USF. That was my entire point. I don't want to call one overall better than the other. But I did explain why I like USH, since it was implied by others that USH was a subpar park not even worthy of being liked. Maybe it's more feeling-based than fact-based, but I think my opinion here is still valid and worth something for the discussion at least.
    You are certainly free to like one verse the other regardless of which is a better product-but I don't think that is what the conversation you stepped in was inferring.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Greg and co.?
    You know...Greg. And his co. Everyone knows Greg and co.

???

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• Rookie Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You are certainly free to like one verse the other regardless of which is a better product-but I don't think that is what the conversation you stepped in was inferring.
    Well if I jumped the gun, then I'm sorry. It just seemed from one or two people that they were completely dismissing USH rather than just comparing the two parks, and I guess I took it as an overall dismissal rather than just a park comparison.

On a slightly related note - I didn't realize there was such a - I dunno if rivalry is the right word...maybe debate is a better term - between fans of various theme parks until I started browsing the boards here. I feel like we should all have leather jackets with Disney, Universal, or Knotts patches on them or something.

Have to agree with WDW1971. USH is an example "we just put it where we had space" school of design. Most malls have better sense of planning and cohesion of theme.

• Singing Drinker

Wow, the USH hate. How about if we just send everything that came out of CA back to CA? Orlando can have... er... well, Disneyland opened first so there goes the MK parks. Sea World started here, give us back that park too. Universal's definitely homeported in CA, so we'd like USF and IOA back too please.

Seriously?

Yes. USF does have better central planning. They have the advantages of A) being a completely prefabricated park with no serious preexisting neighbor or property issues, B) being in a county that's INSANELY themepark friendly, and c) aren't in the middle of a massive urban environment.

Within those limitations, USH is amazing for what it is - built more or less into the hillside, building around a studio that needs to be left open and operational, and still able to present a world-class themepark experience.

It's also seeing an unprecedented level of development for the park's history. In my lifetime I've seen the park go from tram-only to tram-with-summer-pavillion-and-cheesy-photo-ops to the comparatively rapid push in the last decade or so to position it as a 'theme park' first and 'studio' a very important but still second. IMO with the development plans afoot, trying to claim USF or USH as a "better park" is as premature as trying to say whether DCA or Disneyland is a "better park" while construction was still ongoing.

To the topic? Yeah, it's frustrating. I'm going to guess that the pace of construction is going to be based on a number of factors, but I'm also willing to guess that the pace will largely be set by the competition - the longer they can ride Transformers as one of (if not THE) best ride in SoCal without banner competition, the longer before Potter becomes essential.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Wow, the USH hate. How about if we just send everything that came out of CA back to CA? Orlando can have... er... well, Disneyland opened first so there goes the MK parks. Sea World started here, give us back that park too. Universal's definitely homeported in CA, so we'd like USF and IOA back too please.

Seriously?
    You sound angry about something. So angry that you forgot California doesn't have an IOA. And do I really need to list the countless attractions that debuted in Orlando before being cloned?

Yes. USF does have better central planning. They have the advantages of A) being a completely prefabricated park with no serious preexisting neighbor or property issues, B) being in a county that's INSANELY themepark friendly, and c) aren't in the middle of a massive urban environment.
    Wha? USH isn't in the middle of downtown Los Angeles. Both Universal parks/resorts are located in the suburbs of their respective cities. And Universal Orlando's neighbors cause them plenty of problems, from limiting their use of fireworks, to forcing them to close certain attractions early. They complain about everything.

By the way, Universal is within Orlando's city limits. They don't deal with the county, theme park friendly or not.

• Functional & Decorative

To me, what makes USH superior is the sense of its history. It's origins go back 100 years, and the half-hazard arrangement of the park reflect that. That's part of it's charm, which is the point a lot of people seem to miss. (Knott's Berry Farm is similar in this respect.) Sure, USF is more organized and more beautiful. But it was built just over 20 years ago. Of course they were able to better plan it. They already had a model with USH.

It's like comparing a state of the art mall to an Old Town area. It may not compare in offerings, but you can't manufacture a past it doesn't have. And while I can enjoy both, if I had to choose, I'll take the charm and history over corporate, modern urban planning.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Singing Drinker

I'm not the one posting definitive "My preferred park is better than yours and I'm going to throw a tantrum".

And USH *IS* in the middle of a deeply urban area. It has development on essentially all useable sides with properties with their own historic districts etc. that all hate the fact that they share land with a theme park. To call outer suburban Orlando the equivalent in development to Los Angeles (of which Universal City is one of several barely differentiated "suburbs" that make up Los Angeles) is to pretty severely underestimate the population density, traffic issues and more that being in the middle of one of the United States larger cities involves.

And IOA is not in CA. This is true. Never said it was - however, if you're going to try to throw the "so and so park did it first" game, then ship everything back to CA where the modern theme park came into existence - so that we can ship it all back to Coney Island in one big shiny package.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Ok while I appreciate the charm of USH, as far as a vacation experience, USF is really the only choice.

USH is detour, on a southern california vacation.
    USF is a vacation.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234