Which day is best to visit Universal Studios Hollywood?

We will be in Santa Ana from Dec 27th-Jan 2nd.
    We want to visit Universal Studios but don't know which day is better to visit the park.
    Should we go on Friday Dec 27th or Mon Dec 31st or even Jan 1st?
    Which day will be less crowded?

Which attraction should we do first in order to avoid the crowd and long lines and have enough time to do most attractions?

If we buy the standard pass, can we upgrade it to Front of the Line once we are inside the park? If yes, where and how?

Thanks

Re: Which day is best to visit Universal Studios Hollywood?

Ok standard pass as in regular day ticket I think you maybe able to upgrade it inside the park BUT at that time of year you are going they could sell out. I would advise you to choose the date you want to visit and then buy a Front of Line pass online before you go. That way you won't have to worry about the Front of Line passes selling out.

At that time of year the park will be VERY crowded due to Grinchmas. I've never been to the park on New Years Day but Dec 31st was VERY crowded the one day I was there for half the day. IF you have a Front of the Line pass please be aware that is only good for ONE time use at each attraction, studio tour, and shows.

• Minion

T2:3D will be closing on December 31 so if you want to experience this attraction before it goes hasta la vista you should plan your trip before the new year.

Thanks
    We'll probably go on Dec 27th then and get the FOTL pass.

Which attractions should I visit first to avoid the crowd? The ones on the upper or the lower level? In wich order?

Well most peole start with the Studio Tour but now with Transformers there are a ton that head to the Lower Lot. I'm thinking that the park will be open longer than 6pm too due to Grinchmas. If you have Front of the Line passes I'd probably head to the Lower Lot (don't use your Front of Line Pass) if you start with Transformers (also there is a single rider line for it). The same goes for Revenge of the Mummy (single rider line as well) and if Jurrasic Park is open as well. That way you have the Lower Lot done without using your Front of Line Pass.

Then I'd head to the Upper Lot as well and either hit Simpsons and then the Studio Tour. It depends what time the shows if you want to see them are along with T2-3D. Take note of when Waterworld is and also keep in mind you MAY want to see the reading by a celebrity in front of the Grinch tree and the lighting of the tree. Take note people line up way ahead of time and not everyone gets in.

Have fun. Universal during Christmas time is special and hope this helps. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Thanks madmonkeygirl, it was very helpful.
    There are just a few more things I did not understand:
    What do you mean :not using your Front of the Line Pass on the lower level. When I buy the FOTL, do I also get a regular ticket separately from the FOTL pass?

I noticed that you were talking about shows, how do I find out what they are and what time are they playing in advance so I can plan the day.
    I know that the show's schedule can be available once you get in the park but it will be nice to know in advance. Can I see them on the Universal website? If yes, under which section?

Thanks

I don't think you can find the days show times prior to your arrival. Definitey make sure you pick up a show time guide at the front enterance or else at the Wait Time Board by House of Horrors.

What I meant is that if you head down to the Lower Lot FIRST there probably won't be much of a wait for Transformers (do it first), Revenge of the Mummy next and finally Jurrasic Park. So basically if the lines short (shorter than 25 minutes) save your Front of the Line pass for
    ater in the day when the lines will be an hour plus. That's what I meant. The Front of the Line Pass is valid only ONE time at each attraction and show. So once it is scanned you can NOT use it again. Hope this helps clarify things

Wink Re: Which day is best to visit Universal Studios Hollywood?

I'm going in December for Grinchmas.

Play Angry Birds and Minecraft,You guys.

As far as which rides to go on first I enjoyed reading the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland. I just returned it to the library today, actually! It has a section on Universal in the back. We only have one day there so that's what I'm planning to do.