• former CM

Steve Burke is cool!

Steve Burke is cool and he (not Thomas Staggs)
    should take over Disney
    after Iger resigns in March of 2015

From Wikipedia:

Stephen B. "Steve" Burke (born August 14, 1958)[1] is Executive Vice President of Comcast and CEO / President of NBC Universal.[2] Burke is a director at JP Morgan Chase and Berkshire Hathaway.[3]
    Since he joined Comcast as President of Comcast Cable in 1998, Comcast has become the largest cable company, largest residential internet service provider, third largest phone company in America and launched a wireless business. Burke led Comcast to leadership in multi-platform video entertainment distribution, including the Company's industry changing video on demand platform and online video offerings. He has been praised for leading the highly successful integration of AT&T Broadband with Comcast.[4]
    Prior to Comcast, Burke served with The Walt Disney Company as President of ABC Broadcasting. He joined in January 1986, where he helped to develop and found The Disney Stores.[5] In 1992, he moved to Euro Disney S.A., where, as President and Chief Operating Officer, he helped to lead a comprehensive restructuring effort.
    [end of excerpt0
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Steve Burke is cool!

so glad he is in charge of Universal!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Steve Burke has done amazing things with Comcast Universal. I think they need more help than Disney does.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• former CM

Steve Burke not Thomas Staggs

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    so glad he is in charge of Universal!
    Me too, but once Universal Hollywood's WWoHP breaks ground Disney will need him more so Marvel's superheroes and Star Wars are honored appropriately and do not languish is Disney's overstuffed vaults as the Muppets did for too long. Perhaps Disney should be prevented from buying more characters in the near future that they didn't develop. If Disney didn't own Marvel, Marvel could have behaved like J.K. Rowling, and worked with the highest and most inspired bidder, so maybe Universal H.wood would now be developing an Avengers attraction that would blow away Orlando's Spiderman ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Steve Burke has done amazing things with Comcast Universal. I think they need more help than Disney does.
    I'm just worried about a finance guy (Thomas Staggs) being in charge of Disney's world. Staggs has zero experience in entertainment involving stories, other than rides,
    while Steve Burke is helping to run a TV network and a movie studio,
    and has presided over the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal Orlando.
    I'd feel better if Burke were leading the move of Marvel and (more) Star Wars into Disney's resorts.

Last edited by jcruise86; 11-02-2012 at 06:01 PM.

•   

That's kind of a good point there. Eisner didn't have that much comparable experience with the creative side of things ( Thank God he has Wells for that ) and his leadership showed as time moved on. Everything was "product". I remember him dropping that word a dozen times in one taped segment he was on. I wondered if he didn't go home to his wife "Merger" and their kids "Product - Male" and "Product - Female." On the opposite end of this spectrum there's John Lassiter. I have a friend who works for him directly and has to report to him daily. A comment I heard last weekend was "Like him or hate him, he really knows what he's talking about and he's honestly never wrong." I don't expect fans here to agree on that point ( please start a separate thread to argue it, please ) but the point is he came from animator stock and once worked in the park and experience like that comes through in a positive way.

If Steve Burke has even slightly more creative experience than some finance guy then I'm all for it.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Steve Burke not Thomas Staggs

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I'm just worried about a finance guy (Thomas Staggs) being in charge of Disney's world. Staggs has zero experience in entertainment involving stories, other than rides, while Steve Burke is helping to run a TV network and a movie studio,
    and has presided over the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal Orlando.
    I'd feel better if Burke were leading the move of Marvel and (more) Star Wars into Disney's resorts.

Difference between Staggs and Rasulo though is that I've actually seen Staggs in the parks. I never saw Rasulo. I was at the Cars Land grand opening party and bumped into Staggs and family quite often and after awhile he was just cool and chatty with us. He's not the greatest speaker but I think he certainly helped shift Disney World's fantasyland focus to be a bit more balanced (for the boys).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Agreed!
    For the love of Disney....

• former CM

Re: Steve Burke not Thomas Staggs

Difference between Staggs and Rasulo though is that I've actually seen Staggs in the parks. I never saw Rasulo. . .
    Better than Rasulo doesn't make him the best person to run Disney.

This might anger Lasseter, but Jeffrey Katzenberg has created amazing films at Dreamworks and supervised characters who have commercial lives similar to Disney's and he has years of experience at Disney. I doubt he's want to give up his the Dreamworks Animation kingdom he built in Glendale, and I don't think the U.S. government should let Dreamworks Animation join with Disney because Disney would be moving too close to becoming monopolistic, BUT. . .

I'd like Jeffrey Katzenberg,
    Steve Burke, or
    John Lasseter
    (provided he become a health nut and dial back the winery nonsense)
    to become Disney's next CEO after Iger soon resigns. . .

. . . and have Thomas Staggs become his Frank Wells/Roy Disney.