Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Trip Report! Warning! Strong Opinions ahead!

You can read the rest of our report in the Disneyland Forum.

Day 6 Wednesday, November 7, 2012. This is the 2nd day of filming Mr. Banks with Tom Hanks in Disneyland but we missed it again. This is the day we went to Universal Studios. Wow, what a bummer compared to Disneyland. I canít figure out for sure what it is, it just doesnít have that happy feeling. I think part of it is the fact that everywhere you go in Disneyland there is happy music. There is some music in different parts of Universal that is played but it seems to fade off in different areas.

This post contains strong opinions that many of you will not agree with. Iíd prefer that you not read if youíre going to leave me snappy comments as mostly Iím just venting! I know nothing can be done about it now.

Our favorite rides: 1) Transformers--of course. This ride really puts you into the ride with 3-D. 2) The Simpsons. We almost missed doing this ride, it was our last one of the day. 3) The Studio Tour. There is nothing like this ride. SS really liked the King Kong portion of the ride. Getting spit on is gross! LOL. Other than that, the park is basically a waste of time. Therefore, we will not be returning to this park. The Studio Tour is only worth doing once in a lifetime, IMHO. Itís not worth the traffic and stress of driving to go to this park again. The two decent rides just arenít worth the trouble.

This is likely the reason you can buy one day for $80 and get the entirety of 2013 free. LOL

We had our Citypass. FYI just take your city pass directly to the gate, you do not have to wait in line at the ticket booth. They just scan the city pass.

I was hungry by the time we got to the park. Oh, yeah, Jurassic Park was closed. I know I didnít plan as well for this park as I did for DLR but I was on the different web sites often enough to have found out about a ride closure. They simply didnít broadcast the closure well enough. One ride we know we would have enjoyed, making it 4 for the park, and it was closed. When you have so few attractions I can see why you wouldnít discourage someone from coming by letting them know a ride was down. We still would have gone but we would have been less disappointed. Anyway, I wanted the pizza hut pizza. There really isnít much good food in this park IMHO and that was the one thing I was counting on. Well, it was closed. I was too hungry to go up the 4 escalators again to go to the other PH place so I just got Chinese food. It was OK but not what I wanted.

Another negative about this park. Their employees. They arenít nice. They arenít necessarily rude but they donít go out of their way to have a smile on their faces. Two particular instances ticked me off. 1.) This negative experience involved a smoker. I donít like smoking allowed in theme parks. I even hate the designated areas in DL. Even from the Big Thunder Mountain ride in DL you can smell smoke, which I simply think is disgusting. However, at least the people are using the areas. There was a man in front of the Terminator ride smoking. An employee clearly saw him. I went and asked the employee if smoking was allowed in the park. He said only in designated areas. I pointed out the man and he didnít do anything, he just shrugged his shoulders. I went over to the man and dumped my water on his cigar. I was outraged and obviously shouldnít have done that and I obviously felt bad about it after but I felt I had no other choice at the time. I could tell the man was trying to hide it from the CM too. In reality I just feel deep pity for those who are so addicted to these drugs that their actions are ruled by them. It makes me feel even worse for young people who start smoking. Why? Havenít we all had family members with lung cancer or some other cancer caused by tobacco?! In the past when the companies made it look cool, or whatever and the effects werenít as widely know, even with doctors pushing them in advertisements I can see why people started. Now, itís basically a death sentence, so why would anyone in their right mind start? Iím not talking about those who are now in theirí 50ís as this man was, Iíve been told how difficult it is to stop. One friend who used to be a druggie in the 70ís said it was easier to quit some of the hard drugs compared to tobacco.

Now, contrast this experience with my Disneyland smoking experience. We saw a man smoking and SS and I both were about to tell a CM about it. No need!!! The CM spotted him from farther away then the Universal employee was from their guest. The CM was still really kind! She said, ďSir, are you looking for a smoking area?Ē I didnít hear the rest of the conversation but it wasnít mean at all like, ďget in the smoking zone now!Ē

My 2nd bad experience in Universal. Same place, maybe itís just the Terminator employees, LOL. In the holding cell for the ride someone was smoking inside the area. Couldnít see who but maybe it was mr. cigar lit up again. Now, we go into Terminator and from the stage the actress yelled at our seat selection very sarcastically. There was no need.

Now, regarding the cleanliness of the Universal Park. It just seemed grungy overall. I know people talk about how much Toon Town needs to be painted. There was just a black filthy sheen of film all over the walls of the Simpsons queue. It wasnít just here either. Walking around there was old gum all over the ground. Just ridiculous. I really appreciate the CMís all over Disneyland cleaning up after all of us. Yes, things drop, spill, whatever. It needs to be picked up!

The best part of our Universal day was watching the Disney film Wreck it Ralph at CityWalk. The movie was over right about 7 and we headed to The Old Spaghetti Factory in Fullerton after that. We had a nice peaceful meal. It was cheap also, which is always appreciated!

BTW: Universal was cold. We also just felt like we hadnít done enough things. I read somewhere that people need to see 8 attractions in Disneyland to feel satisfied. Personally we did 12 on a short day and were satisfied. Are there even 12 to ride at Universal? Oh I forgot we did enjoy Waterworld. However, I think the production could have been done with lesser actors for cheaper and the could have used the money elsewhere in the park for example, at cleaning!

One final note, the Disneyland Unofficial Guide has a section in the back of the book for universal. I disagree with their statement to go up and down the escalators several times for timing. I just donít see how that would be reasonable seeing as it takes so long to go up and down. We did the Studio Tour first and the lines got really long shortly after we got on. The park is not laid out well as far as signage. If youíre that spread out you need to have more signs everywhere. They tried but then youíd reach a point where you had to go left or right following their arrows and you were lost again.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Re: Trip Report! Warning! Strong Opinions ahead!

Going on Monday. So I take it do the Tram first, then down for Mummy, Transformers, and Jurassic Park(their sight shows its open next week). How long was Transformers line?

I like all the shows(Terminator, Shrek, Water World), so the park is more enjoyable for me, although I do prefer DL.

Thanks for the trip report. My wife hates smokers as well and probably has wished to do douse a cigar with a cup of water.

• Ravenclaw

So, it sounds from the tone of your post that you were determined to have a bad time. Did you actually enjoy any of your experience there? I'd be really curious to know which parts of the park you liked.

Secondly, you just walked up to a total stranger and dumped water on him because you don't like smoking? Is that what this society has come to? There are ways of handling yourself and your emotions in regards to others that shouldn't happen in a polite, civilized society, and that was one of them.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I went over to the man and dumped my water on his cigar.
    Well, that pretty much blows any credibility on this trip report for me.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rookie Chatter

You can read the rest of our report in the Disneyland Forum.
    Now, we go into Terminator and from the stage the actress yelled at our seat selection very sarcastically. There was no need. 
    The Kimberley actress usually has to do this - and she's perfectly in character doing it, though I suspect she is genuinely irritated - because you are explicitly told to walk ALL THE WAY DOWN THE ROW. If you sit in the middle of the row - which makes it harder for others to sit because people feel entitled and then the rest of the crowd has to walk around the jerks who decided to plop down to be dead center for some reason - then you deserve to be yelled at.

Walking around there was old gum all over the ground. Just ridiculous. I really appreciate the CMís all over Disneyland cleaning up after all of us. Yes, things drop, spill, whatever. It needs to be picked up!
    There's old gum on the ground at Disney too, look down next time you're in Toontown especially. We can't always get every single piece that falls out at Disneyland before it gets stepped in and stomped down, and they can't always get to pieces at Universal before it's stepped on either. That's a general thing for any public place really.

One final note, the Disneyland Unofficial Guide has a section in the back of the book for universal. I disagree with their statement to go up and down the escalators several times for timing. I just donít see how that would be reasonable seeing as it takes so long to go up and down. We did the Studio Tour first and the lines got really long shortly after we got on. The park is not laid out well as far as signage. If youíre that spread out you need to have more signs everywhere. They tried but then youíd reach a point where you had to go left or right following their arrows and you were lost again.
    There are arrows literally EVERYWHERE right now because of the construction and signposts throughout the upper lot especially, not to mention employees everywhere. Is it that hard to ask someone which way to go if you're confused?

As was mentioned, this lost all credibility with the cigar incident. What a horrendous way to behave as an adult!
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Me too...
    For the love of Disney....

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. Sounds like a P*******der.

IF the report happened as stated, for starters OP's lucky not to have been ejected, arrested, assaulted or all of the above.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. Sounds like a P*******der.

IF the report happened as stated, for starters OP's lucky not to have been ejected, arrested, assaulted or all of the above.

maybe they did and this is why they wrote a negative trip report

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I agree. USH has the absolutely worst food of any So Cal theme park. The thing I don't get though is that you complain about their food, and then the have dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory? Talk about blech!!!

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    So, it sounds from the tone of your post that you were determined to have a bad time. Did you actually enjoy any of your experience there? I'd be really curious to know which parts of the park you liked.

Secondly, you just walked up to a total stranger and dumped water on him because you don't like smoking? Is that what this society has come to? There are ways of handling yourself and your emotions in regards to others that shouldn't happen in a polite, civilized society, and that was one of them.
    To me it's the annual, "USH sucks, Disneyland rules" post. What is funny how everyone complains about the drive from Disneyland to USH. Yes, it SUCKS. This is L.A. It also sucks driving back.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I agree. USH has the absolutely worst food of any So Cal theme park. The thing I don't get though is that you complain about their food, and then the have dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory? Talk about blech!!!

Nope. Worst food title belongs to Knotts and Magic Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    six flags is worse. also, the brookie beats many of the pastries at disney parks. hehe

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Nope. Worst food title belongs to Knotts and Magic Mountain.
    Have to agree on that one. Uni's getting a fair amount of decent food. Of course, it's almost entirely outside vendors (Panda Express, Ben & Jerry), but hey. It's to the point where I'll eat at the sandwich place on the back side of the "VIP Lounge" for sandwiches, otherwise I'd prefer to head out into CityWalk.

And don't get me started on the "Chinese Chicken and Vegetable Monstrosity" I had a few weeks back *shudder*
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Betty Juice View Post
    The Kimberley actress usually has to do this - and she's perfectly in character doing it, though I suspect she is genuinely irritated - because you are explicitly told to walk ALL THE WAY DOWN THE ROW. If you sit in the middle of the row - which makes it harder for others to sit because people feel entitled and then the rest of the crowd has to walk around the jerks who decided to plop down to be dead center for some reason - then you deserve to be yelled at.

we actually had to walk all the way around because people stopped mid aisle.

• Certified in everything

I’d prefer that you not read if you’re going to leave me snappy comments as mostly I’m just venting!
    Too bad. This is the internet, a public space, and you can't say whatever you want under the guise of "just venting".

I know I didn’t plan as well for this park as I did for DLR but I was on the different web sites often enough to have found out about a ride closure. They simply didn’t broadcast the closure well enough. One ride we know we would have enjoyed, making it 4 for the park, and it was closed. When you have so few attractions I can see why you wouldn’t discourage someone from coming by letting them know a ride was down. We still would have gone but we would have been less disappointed.
    When you say you were on "different web sites" did you mean the official one or fan sites? Generally, if you're looking for official information, it is best to start on the official site. This took me 5 seconds: Rides & Attractions | Universal Studios Hollywood

Anyway, I wanted the pizza hut pizza. There really isn’t much good food in this park IMHO and that was the one thing I was counting on.
    I agree that the food here is not as good as Disney, but you were counting on Pizza Hut for good food??

I went over to the man and dumped my water on his cigar. . . I felt I had no other choice at the time.
    For me, this was an "ahh-haa" moment in your post. You can learn a lot about a person based on their actions. You asked one employee and then had no other choice than to assault a man?

Now, we go into Terminator and from the stage the actress yelled at our seat selection very sarcastically. There was no need.
    Were you paying attention in the attraction? Sounds like the actress was doing a GREAT job of staying in the Kimberly character.

Now, regarding the cleanliness of the Universal Park. It just seemed grungy overall. I know people talk about how much Toon Town needs to be painted. There was just a black filthy sheen of film all over the walls of the Simpsons queue. It wasn’t just here either. Walking around there was old gum all over the ground. Just ridiculous. I really appreciate the CM’s all over Disneyland cleaning up after all of us. Yes, things drop, spill, whatever. It needs to be picked up! 
    I have always found Universal clean. However, at this point I don't think we're getting an honest comparison.

Universal was cold.
    Here I agree with you. They should keep the park warmer.

We did enjoy Waterworld. However, I think the production could have been done with lesser actors for cheaper and the could have used the money elsewhere in the park for example, at cleaning!
    . . .

The park is not laid out well as far as signage. If you’re that spread out you need to have more signs everywhere. They tried but then you’d reach a point where you had to go left or right following their arrows and you were lost again.
    There are literally arrow signs EVERYWHERE in this park. I understand that the park is new to you and so you may have to use a map... but did it ever occur to you that you might get around Disneyland so much easier because you have been there before several times? There are virtually no signs like this at Disney!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast