Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USH Expansion

• Minion

Re: USH Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I suspect a few of us ( JesterMn, Chuuster ) are actually more on the same page with each other than at odds.

Yeah, I'll miss T2-3D as well, it was a neat attraction. Although some attractions needs to go, some need to stay. I don't know about you guys but I'd be kind of pissed if they went into Fantasyland and removed all 5 of the dark rides around the castle. For this reason, there's kind of good reason to support keeping some attractions for quite a while. Imagine if one day Disney announced they were tearing down Sleeping Beauty castle for a new attraction. A lot of people wouldn't be okay with that. I don't see many defending it with "Well, it was time to level it and put in something new." There's some credence to where Chuuster's coming from.

On the flip side, it's true that some rides DO need to change. I'd agree that I miss BTTF in a big way but Universal is about movies and movies change. The Simpsons ride did actually raise the bar ( IMHO ) over BTTF. If they hadn't updated Universal's park and tour then we'd still be parking in the lot that's now the CityWalk, we'd still be boarding the tram at the front of the park not the back, and the only mascots wandering the park would be Frankenstein, Groucho and Woody Woodpecker. ( I do not miss the 70s. ) I will miss T2-3D but think the Potter thing will be overall more immersive than what's in there now. Might as well welcome this.
    totally agree here, i was extremely saddened to hear that amityville was closing as jaws was arguably THE classic universal attraction in orlando, and i was certainly not happy to hear they were going to replace it with MORE potter, but they have given me a lot of effort and put tons of work into things to look forward to so ill keep an open mind.

• ooooooOO!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I'm not bashing your opinion. I'm just stating how things are run. It's fine if you're going to miss an attraction. But missing it doesn't change how things are run.

I'd kinda also dispute your statement that Disney has kept a lot of its classics. Peoplemover, Adventures Through Innerspace, America Sings, Mermaids, House of the Future, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tahitian Terrance, Rainbow Cavern Mine Train, Country Bear Jamboree, etc. aren't around anymore. I miss all those attractions myself, but they're not coming back, and they weren't kept by Disney.

Fortunately many other attractions remain (Matterhorn, Teacups, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Mark Twain, etc.)--which is probably to your point--but in the meantime, plenty have also been lost, which is mine.
    Thank you, and I understand that it is how theme parks are run, I was just expressing my nostalgia as a farewell. I totally get your point that even Disney loses its classics. I'm a 90's kid so I never even had the awesome privilege of enjoying some of those Disney attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I suspect a few of us ( JesterMn, Chuuster ) are actually more on the same page with each other than at odds.

Yeah, I'll miss T2-3D as well, it was a neat attraction. Although some attractions needs to go, some need to stay. I don't know about you guys but I'd be kind of pissed if they went into Fantasyland and removed all 5 of the dark rides around the castle. For this reason, there's kind of good reason to support keeping some attractions for quite a while. Imagine if one day Disney announced they were tearing down Sleeping Beauty castle for a new attraction. A lot of people wouldn't be okay with that. I don't see many defending it with "Well, it was time to level it and put in something new." There's some credence to where Chuuster's coming from.

On the flip side, it's true that some rides DO need to change. I'd agree that I miss BTTF in a big way but Universal is about movies and movies change. The Simpsons ride did actually raise the bar ( IMHO ) over BTTF. If they hadn't updated Universal's park and tour then we'd still be parking in the lot that's now the CityWalk, we'd still be boarding the tram at the front of the park not the back, and the only mascots wandering the park would be Frankenstein, Groucho and Woody Woodpecker. ( I do not miss the 70s. ) I will miss T2-3D but think the Potter thing will be overall more immersive than what's in there now. Might as well welcome this.
    Thank you for seeing where I am coming from. I agree, I love the new additions and replacements. It's just sad to see Universal staples leave, just as it would for Disney rides that had history. In my humble opinion, no offense intended, it seems like Universal is just buying new franchises to win the hearts of today's crowd, tossing their classics into a vault. However, It is understandable with the size that USH has to work with. I still can't wait to see the park after this major refurbish.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Chuuster, I agree that tit seems many of there rides are replaced with new franchise from other studios
    harry potter,simpsons,marvel(IOA),suess....

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Based on a rumor from Screamscape, it looks likes like there might be some early consideration to purchase the Lakeside Golf Club. They're thinking this might be in response to USH wanting to become a resort. If this does turn out to be true, I wonder how it would all work out.

Once you click the link below, it will be towards the bottom. I've also pasted an excerpt of it here.

Universal Studios Hollywood

Future Theme Park Resort and Studio Development Rumors - (12/3/12) Screamscape has been hearing some very early rumblings claiming that possible new and major changes may be on the way to set up the future development of Universal Studios Hollywood over the next decade and beyond, as supported by the new owners at Comcast. With Disneyland’s latest efforts really shining a focused beam of light on what can be achieved by a quality theme park resort experience in California, as well as what they’ve see taking place in Orlando, there may be early plans in the works to try and find a way to expand the Hollywood park in a way that it can stay competitive with the Disneyland Resort. After all, with Disney’s California Adventure now firing on all cylinders, and the rumors of Disney eventually building a third park in Anaheim looking more clear each year, Universal Studios Hollywood needs to find a way to remain competitive against the Mouse.
    We’ve already see the Evolution plan completely turned on it’s head, with a renewed focus revising the existing property for the business interests of the Studio itself as well as the theme park side of things, abandoning the odd previous plans to sell off large tracts of land for residential use.
    According to the early rumors, the next possible phase of development to create a Universal Resort experience in Hollywood may involve buying the massive private Lakeside Golf Club that lies right behind the studio backlot. The exact intentions of this purchase are not entirely clear, but the site could be used to allow for future expansion of the lower backlot area and studio production facilities. If the studio were to relocate some production elements to this property, it could also allow for the expansion of the theme park itself to extend more into the lower lot, allowing for not only more pedestrian access, but more attractions as well.
    One such rumored development may already be linked to the impending Wizarding World of Harry Potter project, which may force the Studio Tram Tours to move the boarding area to the lower lot once again. If you recall your park history, the massive “Starway” down to the lower lot was first installed to give guests access to the new ET Ride, walk-up access to the Cinemagic show area, and they also moved the entrance to the Tram tour down there as well. It was moved back to the upper lot into the current location when they built the Jurassic Park ride, which blocked off the road access to the lower lot tram depot. With the Wizarding World needing to take over as much land as they can free up on the upper lot, it is conceivable that the backlot tram tour entrance could be moved down to the lower lot once again in the next five years.
    If the rumors are true and things move smoothly, I’ve heard that a possible announcement that may include some new future development ideas for the Studio property could be released as early as Spring 2013. Anyone else know more?
    There's also an article on Inside Universal that talks about why something like this would be hard to do:

http://insideuniversal.net/2012/12/r...e-golf-course/
    Last edited by edge4004; 12-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.

• Minion

The Los Angeles River acts as a physical border between Universal City and the golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    The Los Angeles River acts as a physical border between Universal City and the golf course.
    That's what I also thought of. As interesting as it would be if it did happen, there are some major hurdles. One of the biggest being the LA River running between Universal City and the golf course and the houses directly next to that golf course.

• Sultan of Swing

The Residents of that area near USH oppose any expansion/improvements to the park even if they are offered money and relocation. I believe that was the case before WWoHP was announced for Orlando. We were supposed to get WWoHP first but oh well. Also doesn't the park have a ambiance level for not only the Residents near by but the Studio as well?
    Always read the fine print.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by edge4004 View Post
    That's what I also thought of. As interesting as it would be if it did happen, there are some major hurdles. One of the biggest being the LA River running between Universal City and the golf course and the houses directly next to that golf course.
    Bridge.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by BugSam101 View Post
    That's official? I need to go then I haven't been to the Terminator in years
    You're not missing much..

• Sultan of Swing

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    You're not missing much..
    I know that but I have Memories of it so that is why.
    Always read the fine print.

• Functional & Decorative

Sheesh, I don't think it's that bad, and I'm not even a particular fan of the movie. If you ask me, after 15 years, the effects still hold up pretty well.

Now, ET... that was a terrible attraction. The only dark ride I've ever hated in my life.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12