Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USH Expansion

• Sultan of Swing

USH Expansion

So this may be a month old but just sharing with the rest of you who didn't know and also the Picture in the link was in another thread so you may have seen it but now it's confirmed. Universal Studios Hollywood Approved for 1.6 Billion Dollar Expansion

On a side note it says WWoHP & Despicable Me isn't included in exxpansion budget. :o
    Bigger Version of the Picture
    http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-...0716225238.jpg
    Last edited by BugSam101; 11-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Always read the fine print.

• Minion

Re: USH Expansion

Whatever is happening the future, I wish they'd get started already. The Terminator is going bye-bye at the end of this year, so I guess that's a start.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Sultan of Swing

That's official? I need to go then I haven't been to the Terminator in years

• Minion

• ooooooOO!

It saddens me that USH has to get rid of classic attractions to make way for new ones: ET, BTTF, and now Terminator. Hopefully this expansion makes up for its loses.

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    It saddens me that USH has to get rid of classic attractions to make way for new ones: ET, BTTF, and now Terminator. Hopefully this expansion makes up for its loses.
    Um, you do realize that's a general philosophy for most major theme parks: for a new ride to go in, an old ride is eliminated. While there are exceptions, the reality is, theme parks have limited space. Disney itself generally has that philosophy.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Um, you do realize that's a general philosophy for most major theme parks: for a new ride to go in, an old ride is eliminated. While there are exceptions, the reality is, theme parks have limited space. Disney itself generally has that philosophy.
    Not to mention Universal still needs a lot of those soundstages. As much as I love T2 and BTTF, there times were up. The Simpsons and The Mummy were good replacements and they were nice changes, especially The Simpsons since it turned out to be funny and thrilling. The Mummy is OK, but the Florida version is MUCH better.

At any rate, I'm glad USH is expanding. They need it.

• Minion

Agreed. The park would SERIOUSLY be dated if attractions never switched up. I'm sure years and years from now, Transformers and Simpsons will be gone, just like Back to the Future and Terminator. It's time for a change.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 11-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.

• ooooooOO!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I'm sorry I had an opinion. Its just my wishful thinking for the park to expand and keep its influential rides, like how Disneyland keeps its classics. I'm not against the expansion, I'll just be missing the Terminator show.

• Sultan of Swing

@jasmineray Thanks for the article.

Gosh I can't believe it's the end and I will probably won't get to the park in time as USH is not a theme park I insist on going to anymore. Although once ground breaking start on WWoHP I will visit frequently.

@Chuuster USH has many things that are I guess "original" such as the Tram which started it all and.....I guess not many after all. You also reminded me of my Favorite Attraction which is gone now Backdraft(mainly because that is my all-time favorite movie). Oh how I miss it :'(

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 02:44 AM ----------

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...61h6enC292O7xw Could we expect that kind of size of a crowd come whenever Potter magically appears.
    I also found this Image http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zrxI6HDDTo...ngworldmap.jpg on a Planned WWoHP area

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    I'm sorry I had an opinion. Its just my wishful thinking for the park to expand and keep its influential rides, like how Disneyland keeps its classics. I'm not against the expansion, I'll just be missing the Terminator show.
    I'm not bashing your opinion. I'm just stating how things are run. It's fine if you're going to miss an attraction. But missing it doesn't change how things are run.

I'd kinda also dispute your statement that Disney has kept a lot of its classics. Peoplemover, Adventures Through Innerspace, America Sings, Mermaids, House of the Future, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tahitian Terrance, Rainbow Cavern Mine Train, Country Bear Jamboree, etc. aren't around anymore. I miss all those attractions myself, but they're not coming back, and they weren't kept by Disney.

Fortunately many other attractions remain (Matterhorn, Teacups, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Mark Twain, etc.)--which is probably to your point--but in the meantime, plenty have also been lost, which is mine.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Minion

@BugSam Your welcome!

If Universal Studios Hollywood was a theme park first and a lot bigger, I'm sure some of the classics would still be there. I don't think it's fair to compare Disneyland and USH. Disneyland was built with the objective of it to be a theme park. Universal Studios is a movie studio established in 1914 or 1915, that offered guests tours of the backlot. It wasn't until the sixties when the studios was turned into a theme park, albeit a small one. It's not like USH has plenty of room to put build more attractions. There are only four rides in the entire park for Pete's sake. Four. That's not a lot at all. Things will always have to switch up.

• Circle of Ancients

T2 came out 22 years ago. The attraction is fun, but I've seen it 2-3 times and that was enough. It's time for something new.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

awww i actually like The Terminator. Well, what I enjoy most is how the show uses the whole theater. From the live actors to the 3D to the seats moving...it's pretty fun. I bet when it cam out it was pretty impressive....heck, i'm still impressed! So as long as something new & innovative replaces it, I'll be happy. As for the Simpsons ride....I don't remember Back to the Future too well, but it must've been better than the Simpsons, I hope; I personally find the Simpsons ride to be pretty bad.

flower gleam & glow...

•   
    • Banned User

I suspect a few of us ( JesterMn, Chuuster ) are actually more on the same page with each other than at odds.

Yeah, I'll miss T2-3D as well, it was a neat attraction. Although some attractions needs to go, some need to stay. I don't know about you guys but I'd be kind of pissed if they went into Fantasyland and removed all 5 of the dark rides around the castle. For this reason, there's kind of good reason to support keeping some attractions for quite a while. Imagine if one day Disney announced they were tearing down Sleeping Beauty castle for a new attraction. A lot of people wouldn't be okay with that. I don't see many defending it with "Well, it was time to level it and put in something new." There's some credence to where Chuuster's coming from.

On the flip side, it's true that some rides DO need to change. I'd agree that I miss BTTF in a big way but Universal is about movies and movies change. The Simpsons ride did actually raise the bar ( IMHO ) over BTTF. If they hadn't updated Universal's park and tour then we'd still be parking in the lot that's now the CityWalk, we'd still be boarding the tram at the front of the park not the back, and the only mascots wandering the park would be Frankenstein, Groucho and Woody Woodpecker. ( I do not miss the 70s. ) I will miss T2-3D but think the Potter thing will be overall more immersive than what's in there now. Might as well welcome this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast