• Minion

MuMmy the Ride Original Ending? (hollywood)

why did they change the ending. (in 2008???)
    right now it's pitch black and that's it.

back then, it had a projected ceiling. smoke, lighting effects. and smoke in your face. I like the original ending because you can see the ride vehicle spin.

they currently just turned everything off.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: MuMmy the Ride Original Ending? (hollywood)

i never got to go in it before 2011
    there is a little set piece in the and fog

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Hello Dolly.

I don't really remember it but I do remember whether the old ending was better or not, getting off that ride I was always a bit disappointed with both versions.

• Functional & Decorative

While I know of no official reason, I suspect the fake fire effects they had (the steam & orange lights) just weren't convincing--which they weren't. And it kind of took you out of the ride by how low quality it was... especially if you had been to Florida's version, which has real fire effects that are quite impressive.

By having the lights off, you have your own imagination working for you. Is it better or worse? IMO, better, but not by much. But better to have no effects than super cheesy & fake ones.

Too bad they couldn't go back and include a dropping track like Th13teen at Alton Towers, or Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. That probably would have worked pretty well--at least, better than what we've got.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

It has everything to do with maintenance. The hard drives that were used to store the final scene were constantly having problems. And the projectors used were a very big pain to maintain and constantly broke.

For those who have not seen the old ending, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD7xIWd8tvU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uetDuAQCkk
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 12-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I wish that USH have just left ET alone, but if they insisted on including Mummy! They should have done a better job!

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Team Hail HYDRA

but does anyone have a layout of the USH et ride

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I wish that USH have just left ET alone, but if they insisted on including Mummy! They should have done a better job!

Timekeeper

Ugh. It's just my opinion, but I thought ET was the worst ride. And I love dark rides. But that one was terrible. Slow pace, clunky animatronics and ride vehicles, surreal aliens, you could never hear your name clearly, and my biggest pet peeve, you were supposed to be "flying" but clearly never got 4 feet off the ground at best. Granted, the queue was pretty well done. That's about all good I can say about it. Mummy, even now, is better.

If you do get nostalgic, fortunately, Florida still has theirs. I sometimes ride it to remind myself how much I hate it.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Minion

I googled some info on the MuMmy ride and the hollywood is so bootleg.

The one in Orlando looks a lot scary with REAL fire, better launch, and more effects.

Hollywood is so BOOTLEG!!!!!! the only good thing is that it goes backwards longer. but seriously, no fire? and what makes me angry is that it was built at the same time!

Space was much more limited in Hollywood.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

I have a feeling the reason why real fire wasn't used was due to how much "fire" there was on USH version of the ride.

I've only ridden on the one in Orlando and I've seen the video of the USH version (that was posted here). The fire in Orlando is on the ceiling for one and covers a smaller area compared to what I seen in the USH version, it's farther away from you than the USH (or at least appears to be), and even then my God, it is hot.

From what I've seen in the USH version the vast majority of the "fire" seems to be on the wall and covers more area than the Orlando version.

Personally, it seems more of a safety issue and also to be honest I wouldn't know what to do if I was surrounded that much by fire. It would be a lot to take in and the heat would be unbearable, especially if you're sitting on that side. To me, it looks as if you'd sit on that side you'd be much closer to the fire than you would in the Orlando version (which is on the ceiling) and to me even with it being on the ceiling it was powerful. It almost looks as if you can touch the wall in the USH version. However, I can't really tell considering I haven't been there, I can only judge by a video.

Basically, in conclusion, it just seems as if it's a safety issue. If the fire was real, it would be too massive and too close to the passengers. That's the reason why USH has to result to using fake fire (or used to I should say) and Orlando can use real fire more than likely.

---
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There should be a boost right after the red.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

It really surprises me how a new update has not been made to the ride with the advance in technology. If the HDDs were failing due to vibration from the tracks, they could be replaced with new SDDs that have no moving parts. Lighting could be replaced with LEDs which allow for mixing colors, dimming, and last longer (typical many years). I remember reading a thread that the ride will soon be undergoing a upgrade. Does anybody know the status of that? I've noticed the ride has slowly been receiving improvements such as the new lockers, new monitors, minor queue repainting and maintenance, and other things. I suppose would JP down for refurb, it would make sense to start on Mummy next for a major refurb as it shouldn't take too long. I'm thinking 1 -2 months at most. I dunno it looks to me that they are getting JP ready to help out with crowds for a closure of mummy. I've noticed it even manages to clock a shorter wait than usual due to Transformers.

• Doombuggy Rider

survey says? Universal Studio's Hollywood has gotten cheap cheap cheap when it comes to maintenance on THE MUMMY (while coughing up a lot of dough for KING KONG 360, THE SIMPSONS and TRANSFORMERS THE RIDE) over the past 4 years ....

Yes, USH, got a slimmed down effects wise (in my opinion) version of THE MUMMY that a lil "oomph" added would be a wise decision (along with an "all indoor queue line" vs. lets wrap the queue around ugly side if building with minimal theme). And I thought Eisner was the only Executive who could be cheap cheap cheap when it comes to maintenance at a theme park (time to send an email campaign to President & COO of Universal Studios, Ron Meyer) ...

By the way, @ Wikipedia it says Future Universal Studios Theme Parks include -

Universal Studios South Korea
    , Hwaseong, South Korea (opens 2016)
    Universal Studios Dubailand, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Other locations have been reported for future Universal Studios theme parks ,include:

Universal Studios Beijing, Beijing, People's Republic of China
    Universal Studios India, New Delhi or Mumbai, India
    Universal Studios Moscow, Moscow, Russia (opens 2018)

move over Walt Disney Theme Parks, Universal is playing "catch up" -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor