Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Wait.....USH is going to have a FULL SIZED Hogwarts Castle????

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    I didnt think it was going to be a reimagining of the original WWOHP, What it sounds more like is HP+, everything that makes the original great...PLUS, and I'm totally fine with that
    It's everything that makes the original great...PLUS no Dueling Dragons.

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    It's everything that makes the original great...PLUS no Dueling Dragons.
    and I'm totally fine with THAT too, L0L XD
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    and I'm totally fine with THAT too, L0L XD
    +1. You'd be nuts not to be! It's a really neat place

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

Don't you mean Not Dueling Dragons?

I too wish USH (and USJ) was getting something other than Potter, but probably for different reasons. It seems like all of our exclusive headliners get cloned fairly quickly. I can only take solace in people coming here for the expansion... until it's cloned too.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Does anyone know if we are getting the three room Ollivander's thats going into Diagon Alley, or will it be the original one room version?
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    The dual entrances is not a new concept for USH either. They've had something like that for decades. Victoria Station/Marvel Mania had entrances like that. The Citywalk entrance of course was free, and you could eat there without park admission. But, the park entrance was staffed so that in order to get into the park from the restaurant, you had to show a ticket. It wasn't terribly complicated. I can see it working wonders for the Great Hall..
    I think that's basically the setup at Animal Kingdom with the Rainforest Cafe. Also, DHS was at one point going to get a "David Copperfield" themed restaurant (Copperfield's Magic Underground) at one time, that would have worked the same way, with other CMU locations around the world ala "Planet Hollywood". I think the plan was unltimately abandoned.

Well, whattayaknow! A quick search on the David Copperfield thing and here's an old article about it from...are you ready...Jim Hill!
    A JHM Coming Attraction: David Copperfield's Magic Underground

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Don't you mean Not Dueling Dragons?

I too wish USH (and USJ) was getting something other than Potter, but probably for different reasons. It seems like all of our exclusive headliners get cloned fairly quickly. I can only take solace in people coming here for the expansion... until it's cloned too.
    No. I mean Dueling Dragons. Scroll back. #fearchange

I understand your perspective of "It's something special if it's only in one place" and while largely that is my outlook as well, the problem that a lot of us who DO travel to other parks forget is that really, most people don't. On average, (and speaking generally here of course) you can draw an imaginary line down the country - for sake of argument, everyone east of the Mississippi goes to Orlando, everyone west of it goes to LA. I realize that doesn't apply to everyone, but big picture that really does describe a lot of average folks' travel habits.

Here's the thing - Potter is a cash cow for Universal. It's literally the closest they can come to legally printing money in a back room. From a business stance, it's foolish to not capitalize on that. What will be truly interesting though is what happens when the next one opens (or maybe more accurately, when the USH one opens). Sure there will be a glitzy party full of celebs to smooze the cameras, but will there be a line to Knott's Berry Farm to get into USH on the first day like there was to get into IOA? Honestly, I doubt it. You'll never have a second world's first Harry Potter theme park attraction - but part of me wonders if Universal knows that or not.

• Minion

Sure there will be a glitzy party full of celebs to smooze the cameras, but will there be a line to Knott's Berry Farm to get into USH on the first day like there was to get into IOA? Honestly, I doubt it. You'll never have a second world's first Harry Potter theme park attraction - but part of me wonders if Universal knows that or not.
    Trust that all the California/West Coast Potter fans will be flocking to USH as soon as this opens. I can bet the majority of the western side of the US hasn't seen Potter in Orlando. USH and the media will make a HUGE deal out of it and people will be lining up early. We'll see what happens on opening day.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

No. I mean Dueling Dragons. Scroll back. #fearchange

I understand your perspective of "It's something special if it's only in one place" and while largely that is my outlook as well, the problem that a lot of us who DO travel to other parks forget is that really, most people don't. On average, (and speaking generally here of course) you can draw an imaginary line down the country - for sake of argument, everyone east of the Mississippi goes to Orlando, everyone west of it goes to LA. I realize that doesn't apply to everyone, but big picture that really does describe a lot of average folks' travel habits.

Here's the thing - Potter is a cash cow for Universal. It's literally the closest they can come to legally printing money in a back room. From a business stance, it's foolish to not capitalize on that. What will be truly interesting though is what happens when the next one opens (or maybe more accurately, when the USH one opens). Sure there will be a glitzy party full of celebs to smooze the cameras, but will there be a line to Knott's Berry Farm to get into USH on the first day like there was to get into IOA? Honestly, I doubt it. You'll never have a second world's first Harry Potter theme park attraction - but part of me wonders if Universal knows that or not.
    Funny note, I was planning a trip to Hollywood to ride transformers until I caught word it was coming here to Orlando, so I cut that trip out of my calendar knowing that it will be here soon enough.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Mummy's not a movie ride. A large portion of what has gone into USO/IOA are not movies.
    Yes, the Mummy attractions ARE based on the Mummy movies. I disagree, there really aren't many attractions at the parks that are NOT based on movies, or licensed properties. The only ones that come to mind that were not were the attractions in Lost Continent. Those were original to the park. Pretty much everything else spread between all Universal parks is based on a licensed property. Jurrasic Park, Dr. Seuss, Marvel, Toon Lagoon (filled with licensed characters), MIB, Transformers, Simpsons, Mummy, Harry Potter, Despicable Me, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yes, the Mummy attractions ARE based on the Mummy movies. I disagree, there really aren't many attractions at the parks that are NOT based on movies, or licensed properties. The only ones that come to mind that were not were the attractions in Lost Continent. Those were original to the park. Pretty much everything else spread between all Universal parks is based on a licensed property. Jurrasic Park, Dr. Seuss, Marvel, Toon Lagoon (filled with licensed characters), MIB, Transformers, Simpsons, Mummy, Harry Potter, Despicable Me, etc.
    I think the statement actually meant film-based attractions, like simulators, 3D movies, etc - not rides *themed to* movies.

I almost replied the same way as you at first until I went back and read it again.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Funny note, I was planning a trip to Hollywood to ride transformers until I caught word it was coming here to Orlando, so I cut that trip out of my calendar knowing that it will be here soon enough.
    Another funny note: I did the same thing with the WWoHP. I was going to add Universal Orlando to a WDW trip, but now I might just wait for it to come to S. California.

Question:
    If Universal Hollywood knocks out Waterworld, Shrek's area and the Gibson theater, would there be room for a giant Hogwarts, a Hoggsmead Village and a Diagon Alley with a Gringott's attraction?

I wouldn't put it past Universal to go absolutely all out and create something that is must see for young tourists coming to S. California.

I disagree that Harry Potter is "just one franchise." Of course it is, but it's so much bigger than the Mummy, Avatar, and Jurassic Park combined. Get ready to shoot this down, but I believe that in the long run, Harry Potter will be bigger than Star Wars and Marvel combined because of the books. They are brilliantly inventive and funny, and I predict that millions of smart kids will still be reading them 25 years from now, and that a second & third set of Harry Potter films will be made in the future. I'm uncomfortable writing this, but the fans of Harry Potter are, well,
    smarter and probably more successful than the fans of any other franchise
    because
    they
    read.

I love the Transformers ride, but as a former high school teacher I observed that my students who loved the Harry Potter books were more impressive than the students who LOVED the Transformers movies. Then again, I was an English teacher.

Please don't take that personally. I loved two of the six Star Wars movies,
    The Avengers, Iron Man, and parts of the Captain America film.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Question:
    If Universal Hollywood knocks out Waterworld, Shrek's area and the Gibson theater, would there be room for a giant Hogwarts, a Hoggsmead Village and a Diagon Alley with a Gringott's attraction?
    Even if they had the necessary land, which I don't think they do, they still couldn't put the two areas next to each other. Rowling didn't want that. It's the real reason why Diagon Alley is being built in USF instead of IOA.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    Even if they had the necessary land, which I don't think they do, they still couldn't put the two areas next to each other. Rowling didn't want that. It's the real reason why Diagon Alley is being built in USF instead of IOA.
    I believe it, but I'm curious where you read this because I'd like to know more about what she wanted for Universal. From what I read about the the amazing WWoHP in Orlando, I wish Disney had to run things by her!

Maybe the lower lot could be expanded with Diagon Alley down there and nearby from the second floor of the Dursley House, guests could take Ron's family car (a high capacity gondola/chairlift type ride) from the second-floor window up to Hogwarts. Or more realistically, yet still unrealistically, another Hogwarts Express capable of going up a hill could run from King's Cross near Diagon Alley to Hogwarts on the upper lot.

I'm not normally a big fan of government using eminent domain to move home owners, but for the good of the Los Angeles economy and for the fun of millions, some folks and their homes need to be cleared away so Universal can expand and rival Disneyland and DCA.

I hope Hogwarts is a majestic sight from much of the San Fernando Valley. I'd like it to look different from the one in the movies and at Universal Orlando. The Hogwarts in my imagination surpassed the one in the movie. (Glad I read the book before seeing the film.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast