Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Wait.....USH is going to have a FULL SIZED Hogwarts Castle????

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I believe it, but I'm curious where you read this because I'd like to know more about what she wanted for Universal.
    Various insiders. I can't remember who mentioned it specifically. She's definitely been a pain in Universal's butt though. Just the other day they started redoing the (recently built) stage for the frog choir/triwizard performers because someone didn't like how it looked.

^And it's her property. She can do what she wants with it. The Simpsons people are the same way. Everything (trashcans, food carts, prizes at the simpsons games) must be approved by Fox before they go into the Simpsons plaza. And they have that right.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• former CM

^ That's Walt-like behavior.

Soooo, I know I'm like a kid asking how many days till Christmas, and I know no one knows,
    but
    when will the Wizarding World of Harry Potter open up at Universal Hollywood?
    I want an exact date. And I want an a golden goose and an Everlasting Gobstopper, NOW!

Betting pool (no actual bets) begins: I predict May of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I disagree that Harry Potter is "just one franchise." Of course it is, but it's so much bigger than the Mummy, Avatar, and Jurassic Park combined. Get ready to shoot this down, but I believe that in the long run, Harry Potter will be bigger than Star Wars and Marvel combined because of the books. They are brilliantly inventive and funny, and I predict that millions of smart kids will still be reading them 25 years from now, and that a second & third set of Harry Potter films will be made in the future. I'm uncomfortable writing this, but the fans of Harry Potter are, well, smarter and probably more successful than the fans of any other franchise
    because
    they
    read.

I love the Transformers ride, but as a former high school teacher I observed that my students who loved the Harry Potter books were more impressive than the students who LOVED the Transformers movies. Then again, I was an English teacher.

Please don't take that personally. I loved two of the six Star Wars movies,
    The Avengers, Iron Man, and parts of the Captain America film.
    I know its almost two months later, but...
    For someone who has been an English high school teacher, that was quite the rash thing to say, almost HP biased! xD Not trying to berate you, you don't know enough of the franchises or their fans it seems. JP is now just nostalgia. They're Universal classics, so is the Mummy...kind of. I think Universal Studios makes attempts to cash in on whatever franchise of theirs is currently largely popular even if its not all that good when further analyzed. But Marvel and SW are giants. HP is already that big because Universal bit the bullet. With such successful franchises, there can never be one bigger than the other. Because of the fans and their devotion. Just take a look at the unofficial Potter and Star Wars days at Disneyland. Events made up by fans. There are even people who have had their fanfics published into physical books which franchise fans buy. To read! Yeah! I read of a guy who is building a full scale Millenium Falcon! And we know of the Potter fans who made Quidditch into an international sport in our muggle world. Its these kinds of things done by fans that keep the franchises alive and fresh, as large as they are.

Oh. There's no comparison between Michael Bay's Grinding Gears and Harry Potter. Michael Bay has admitted to having been disappointed with one of his own Transformers films, and even Hugo Weaving has said they're meaningless. The ride is ok!

Anyhow, I can't wait for this. I'm a bit sad Waterworld will go. It wasn't not the best show but it had good live action. It was fun to watch. Glad Shrek4D and Gibs is getting the boot!
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• New Member Goes Forth

From the recent news, USH will get The Forbidden Journey. We will not get any rollercoasters, due to the local residents not wanting them. Also, they were left over attractions from the previous theme
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

I personally don't see a way they can make a full sized castle with all the things people are rumored to say they might have (a "great hall" dining experience, being able to go into the DADA class room, ect). And I don't know about the Forbidden Journey being in it, but if that is something else put into the castle, that would be a massive amount of property just for one thing. Believe it, or not the one in Florida is huge although doesn't appear to be a fullsized castle and appeared to be hidden my rocks.

Do they honestly have the land to be able to build something that massive? Also, they aren't just having a castle, but other additions as well I'd imagine in? They would have to take out a lot of attractions, or retheme a lot of areas in order to make that work.

I haven't been to Universal Studios in Florida for quite sometime, but I had a pass during the original construction of WWOHP it and also was able to visit a little bit before the construction of this second addition, and there was a lot of area and attractions that were either taken out, or rethemed in order to make WWOHP.

I would estimate that way more than half of WWOHP (both IoA and Universal) used to be other rides, or parts of other "lands" before being made part of WWOHP.

So, even if Universal in California got this addition (full sized castle) and perhaps even more, people should be prepared that a lot of attractions and sections of Universal to be taken out to make way of WWOHP more than likely. I do not know if Cali has more extra land to work with than Florida, but if they do not, expect the same amount taken out, or more so if this rumored addition happens.

^ The land Forbidden Journey now sits on was the only thing not previously in use/rethemed.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Can you imagine if the "Harry Potter Dining Hall" became one of LA's top restaurants? I mean, if you don't need park admission to eat there, every kid is going to want to have their birthday party there, and lots of adults, too. It could be crazy busy, apart from park visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    ^ The land Forbidden Journey now sits on was the only thing not previously in use/rethemed.
    Exactly, which is why I say if Universal in California is promising these things, or these rumors come true (I don't know if getting a full sized castle is a rumor, or fact) people should be prepared that more than likely a lot of their favorite attractions, sections, or even a restaurant(s) may be taken out.

In Florida, they took out large sections of a certain "land", took out a ride and it's entire "land" all together, they taken out a restaurant, and re-themed a few rides. So, I would imagine the same would happen in California.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood got a larger Hogwarts with a few extra details, but they'll have trouble including much of Hogsmeade either way. Unless they axe Waterworld and Shrek. It's entirely possible that Hogwarts is all Hollywood is getting.

An actual, full-sized Hogwarts would be larger than the park itself. What you're realistically looking at is a similar miniature Hogwarts facade with a few extra rooms behind it.

• Singing Drinker

Considering Universal Amphitheater is going to be redeveloped, I don't think there's going to be much of an issue. Next time you're there, look at the footprint. You can't really get a handle on it (including all the backstage designated parking areas, artist lounge, crew parking etc.) unless you look from both inside the park and from on the tour.

Between the green space still available in the area around the Amphitheater, said footprint of the venue, and the added space of the Curious George area and surrounding support structures they've got a lot to work with. I don't *believe* Shrek 4D is on the block (at least for this particular phase), but even without it they should be good.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Circle of Ancients

Here is a picture of the future Potter area. The Green is the existing tram area that they've been working on for awhile. The Pink is the Gibson amphitheater. The Blue is the area between Waterworld and Gibson that is a backstage area/the walkway to Gibson. The Yellow is Waterworld.

No word if Waterworld is a part of the expansion but that's a pretty good chunk of land and will represent more than 1/3 of the upper lot.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    No word if Waterworld is a part of the expansion but that's a pretty good chunk of land and will represent more than 1/3 of the upper lot.
    I could swear I've read that the Waterworld cast received extensions through 2015, but am having trouble locating anything more solid than rumor.

That still wouldn't necessarily negate Waterworld being included in WWOHP. If the heart of the attractions and heavy construction can be pushed elsewhere, it'd make a LOT of sense to leave Waterworld open until the last possible minute and use the footprint for less construction intensive uses. Universal just doesn't have that much excess crowd capacity to soak up the loss.

All speculation, of course.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Here is a picture of the future Potter area. The Green is the existing tram area that they've been working on for awhile. The Pink is the Gibson amphitheater. The Blue is the area between Waterworld and Gibson that is a backstage area/the walkway to Gibson. The Yellow is Waterworld.

The Studio Tour load load/unload area will not be part of the HP expansion. The current bathrooms behind Doc Brown's Chicken are being moved a couple of yards to a patio area between the Simpsons ride and the current bathrooms. The current entrance to the ST will be shifted towards Simpsons Plaza to improve overall guest flow in an area that is prone to bottle necking.

Also it should be noted the Curious George area will also make way for HP.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Would there be any way to incorporate the Waterworld theater for a Tournament of Wizards?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast