Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Certified in everything

Question Jurassic Park Final Drop Nitpicky Issue

First off.. I know this is a small issue, but I often internally criticize myself for not holding Universal to the same standard that I do Disney. So here it is:

The T-Rex behind the waterfall at the end of the ride is CLEARLY visible as the boat approaches. I don't know if this has to do with the recent rehab, but on my trip to USH earlier this week I noticed that the T-Rex seemed to be lit especially brightly. This sort of ruins the "surprise" effect of it emerging from the waterfall. Has anyone else experienced this or was a light left on during my visit.

Also, I remember the ride used to blow a puff of smoke in front of the waterfull as the boat approached to help obscure the dino.. do they not do this anymore?

Other than that, had a fantastic visit to the park Friday despite the fact that it hailed in the morning.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Jurassic Park Final Drop Nitpicky Issue

Well the smoke effect is still working here in Orlando.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• New Member Goes Forth

They proberly need to refurbish it before the summer. The t rex still looks good, whn it appears beofre the drop.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I think the T-Rex is awesome! Of course, I don't frequent USH a whole lot but I will this year as I have an AP there.

Yes, I will admit it is slightly visiable before the drop, if you are excpecting it. However, the fact that it swings in and almost touches your face before the plummett is a cool effect to me.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I think the T-Rex is awesome! Of course, I don't frequent USH a whole lot but I will this year as I have an AP there.

Yes, I will admit it is slightly visiable before the drop, if you are excpecting it. However, the fact that it swings in and almost touches your face before the plummett is a cool effect to me.
    I love the surprise, but honestly if you want to go point out slightly visible or visible surprises before they happen, just look at Indy when you are crossing the bridge, and you see another jeep.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I love the surprise, but honestly if you want to go point out slightly visible or visible surprises before they happen, just look at Indy when you are crossing the bridge, and you see another jeep.
    True dat!

On a side note, I personally don't care if I see a little bit of the T-Rex before the drop. That thing is gargantuan, in my opinion and a great effect before the drop. I love that ride!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The T-Rex problem is minuscule (in my opinion) compared to the other jarring problems I have with the ride.

1. The water is so clear that you can see that the dinos are only built half way

2. The dino that pops out of the water and supposedly "knocks" you off course isn't very effective since you can still see the railing that guides you off course. It would have been better if he knocked you off course to a smaller waterfall drop.. woulda been more thrilling too.

3. The T-Rex... yah, that needs to be better hidden but I also hate that he's just hanging in mid air! Also kinda don't like that the first t-rex head isn't even that noticeable.

I would so love to redo that ride.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    2. The dino that pops out of the water and supposedly "knocks" you off course isn't very effective since you can still see the railing that guides you off course.
    Oh is that his purpose?! I have just ridden it 3 times and the last two were recent but I will be riding it more often so its nice to figure this one out.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Oh is that his purpose?! I have just ridden it 3 times and the last two were recent but I will be riding it more often so its nice to figure this one out.

Yup! It's right where you see the other fake boat stuck at the false entrance..

Hey look! I'm in shallow water!

Boo.

Oh no... we're slowly going the wrong way!

Blink and you'll miss me!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Blink and you'll miss me!

I agree with that last one...the first T-Rex head I did miss on the first ride but caught it on the second ride. I think its because, to me, the thing seemed to pop out almost after the boat has passed that area as I had to turn around to see it on my second ride. Because its rather large, it shouldn't be missed.

Hey look! I'm in shallow water!

Okay, I'm not one to over-complain, but since we're on the subject: why is this dino's head always contorted in the most awkward way? Has also bothered me that he looks like he has a broken neck... I'm no dino expert, but this seems unnatural.

I also agree that the water could be darker to hide how shallow it is, I just think the issue with that is that it gets on guests. Can't really be dousing guests in dyed water...

And for the record... I do love this ride.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• New Member Goes Forth

The ride could have a full refurbishment, and fix any problems, but they do not want to close it for a long period during the summer. Still, it is a great ride and fully emersive in a theme park.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Okay, I'm not one to over-complain, but since we're on the subject: why is this dino's head always contorted in the most awkward way? Has also bothered me that he looks like he has a broken neck... I'm no dino expert, but this seems unnatural.
    I had always wondered that too, but I believe I have a pretty strong theory.

I believe it all has to do with the doors that open up to "Jurassic Park" at the beginning of the ride. If his neck were straight up, you'd see it peeking up from above the eye line of the doors before they were opened. Having his neck "broken" keeps him hidden from view. When the doors part, his neck was supposed to straighten out to a more majestic height, as part of a grand entrance into Jurassic Park.

Unfortunately, it seems that latter part of the effect hasn't exactly been cared for over the years.

As for the T Rex head just inside the building, I wonder if that was pulled back a bit after the incident where it spilled hot oil & grease onto guests many years ago.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Minion

I think it depends on what time of day for the fog. Sometimes the fog is very heavy that you can't see anything at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I had always wondered that too, but I believe I have a pretty strong theory.

I believe it all has to do with the doors that open up to "Jurassic Park" at the beginning of the ride. If his neck were straight up, you'd see it peeking up from above the eye line of the doors before they were opened. Having his neck "broken" keeps him hidden from view. When the doors part, his neck was supposed to straighten out to a more majestic height, as part of a grand entrance into Jurassic Park.

Unfortunately, it seems that latter part of the effect hasn't exactly been cared for over the years.
    This has always been my theory too! We may be onto something! But in the end it just comes across as an awkward head movement...
    Disneyland Wooooh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast