• Minion

Hollywood Sign. HELP!

I want to know the route so I can view the Hollywood sign up close. I wanna walk on the hill and be very close to the sign. What's the directions to get there. I always see it on the freeway but always wanted to see it. I'm talking about the real sign in Hollywood, ca.

EDIT. Ok I already found the link. I suggest checking it out, very interesting.
    http://hollywoodsigntrip.com/
    Last edited by DannyLand; 03-12-2013 at 08:26 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Hollywood Sign. HELP!

MMMmmmmm it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm not sure why this is posted under the "Universal Studios" section, seeing as the USH property is one place from which you can NOT see the "real" Hollywood sign, but if you have this idea of going all the way up to the sign, like touching distance, it's not going to happen. Not without getting arrested for trespassing. Trust me, there are people coming to L.A. Every day thinking they're going to do that. You might as well be asking to take a lunch with Spielberg. That might even be easier.
    Here's a link, detailing the best ways/places to see the sign, as well as a page explaining why they have to keep people a safe distance away.
    Seeing The Sign | The Hollywood Sign

• Minion

I thought I could just park my car somewhere and walk up the mountain to get a better view. Like a hike and walk behind the sign

• Minion

I know there's this gate behind the sign which is like really close but I'm not talking about crossing that gate or anything. I know the roads say "restricted road" but they only do that to keep the tourist out and locals happy and traffic free

• Rookie Chatter

It really is a restricted road. You're not supposed to be up there anymore, especially after the refurbishment of the sign.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

• Minion

Ok never mind. My friend sent me the link. they went there and took cool pictures. And no it's nothing illegal, it's a walking trail that takes you to the very top. Hollywood Sign Trip - Driving Directions and Trail Directions to the Hollywood Sign

• Circle of Ancients

^ That was exactly the link I was going to send you. You can hike up to the sign, but it's not an easy hike at all.

• Goofy

wow that is a lot of walking and very high to go up there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ That was exactly the link I was going to send you. You can hike up to the sign, but it's not an easy hike at all.
    45 Minutes just to walk up the mountain seems kinda scary. Plus I most likely will get lost since there's no signs or anything. hope I don't make a wrong turn. But I heard it will be worth it in the end giving beautiful views. The website said it's legal and perfectly ok with the law.

It's a very interesting website with all that information and history.

• Circle of Ancients

Yes, as long as you don't cross that fence you are fine. Take PLENTY of water and snacks.

Also, beware that if it's warm out you may run into rattlesnakes.

• New Member Goes Forth

From the shopping aea next to the old Kodak Theatre, you can see it perfectly (if there is no fog). Really nice to see it. Also, you can get a nice crepe nearby
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Functional & Decorative

It's actually not that bad of a hike. I've done it before a couple of times, and I used to live right off Beachwood Ave, which is the main route to get there and have a view of the sign. In fact, my old living room had a postcard view of the sign. People were always jumping out of there cars and standing in the middle of the street because that's the best view. They almost got mowed down a lot, too, so be careful.

I do think people are confusing two different aspects. It is illegal to hike right up to the letters. However, the trail that goes up around the back of the mountain (and has great views of Burbank, a fact that often gets overlooked) and above the sign, to the top of the mountain, is perfectly legal and a well maintained trail to boot.

On your drive up there, as you go up Beachwood, take notice of the Hollywoodland stone gate. It's what's emulated at Disney's Hollywood Studios. And the streets around the small shopping area behind it is where people "panicked in the streets" for the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?