Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Universal Evolution Plan

Theme Park Insider is reporting that USH have announced the closure of the Gibson and Curious George to make way for Potter.

• Rookie Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by TPInvestigator View Post
    Theme Park Insider is reporting that USH have announced the closure of the Gibson and Curious George to make way for Potter.
    Yes, IU received an email from Universal about that, it is confirmed, and Curious George will be closing right after Labor Day while Gibson will close sometime in September, just not sure if it will be the same day or not.
    "I'm the ghost with the most, babe." - Beetlejuice

"The future is what you make it - so make it a good one." - Back to the Future

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In terms of attractions, in Florida, didn't they re-theme an existing coaster to a Harry Potter ride? I don't think an outdoor roller coaster will ever be a part of any Universal Hollywood park, be it Harry Potter or otherwise. Let's just say there would be noise concerns from the country club and estates located across the river facing the Universal property.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    In terms of attractions, in Florida, didn't they re-theme an existing coaster to a Harry Potter ride? I don't think an outdoor roller coaster will ever be a part of any Universal Hollywood park, be it Harry Potter or otherwise. Let's just say there would be noise concerns from the country club and estates located across the river facing the Universal property.
    Yes, they re-themed the Fire-and-Ice coasters. You're probably right that they won't ever build outdoor coasters at USH. Everything at WWOHP West Coast should be new and not an exact copy of the original. At least, I hope so.

Another article: Harry Potter coming to Universal Studios Hollywood - The Daily Breeze
    Last edited by Not My Real Name; 04-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It will be exciting to see the concept art when it gets released, if they do it differently on the West Coast they will be more likely to draw people who have already seen the one in Florida to Hollywood.

Universal really likes to get rid of my break rooms. First, it was at Wild West, then at the Carnival cabin, then at Shrek Shack, and now it's a Curious George.

Anyways, I'm excited. I'm sad to see the Gibson leave, but as long as Uni delivers, it should be fine. I don't think I'll still be working at Uni when HP opens, but I will definetly check it out. It will be interesting tosee how they block the view of the AMC IMAX and 6 story building besides it from the guests.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    I'm just hoping they at least somehow incorporate the New "Diagon Alley land" being constructed at USF.
    This is precisely my concern. That they rebuild the WWoHP and not do it like the movie with Diagon Alley being a seperate area and the place where you buy stuff.

In IOA they rethemed two coasters, one of which is a racer type coaster with two tracks. They are both the weakest rides in the WWoHP when it comes to themeing. If they want to build more than FJ I hope it's something novel and works into the theme very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Universal really likes to get rid of my break rooms. First, it was at Wild West, then at the Carnival cabin, then at Shrek Shack, and now it's a Curious George.

Anyways, I'm excited. I'm sad to see the Gibson leave, but as long as Uni delivers, it should be fine. I don't think I'll still be working at Uni when HP opens, but I will definetly check it out. It will be interesting tosee how they block the view of the AMC IMAX and 6 story building besides it from the guests.
    In WWoHP in IOA the buidling are really tall and easily block out the views of the rest of the park, it won't be a problem if they copy the design at all. Also the newly built area going into USO is more like an indoor mall, Diagon Alley so it too will be naturally blocking views of the outside. Even the train between them won't have a veiw of the outside world either as it travels back stage between the parks.

Hopefully as they build the new area they bulk up infrastructure. Maybe you will get a new employee rest area and cafeteria out of the deal.

Also a new theater is going to be built in the resort to replace the Gibson.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• New Member Goes Forth

Agree with what Swampymarsh has said, but it needs to be unique, or it will be another clone. Maybe, differeent shops and a different queue design, but still have every shop from the original WWoHP at IoA
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How awesome would it be if there was a train that brought you to some other part of the park, the lower backlot or in the area once poised for residential... for the rest of HP.

• Rookie Chatter

Almost positive we're just getting a miniature clone of WWoHP. I highly doubt we're getting anything that Florida doesn't have, and we're almost certainly not getting anything from the part 2 expansion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Betty Juice View Post
    Almost positive we're just getting a miniature clone of WWoHP. I highly doubt we're getting anything that Florida doesn't have, and we're almost certainly not getting anything from the part 2 expansion.
    Can you also forsee LOTTO numbers or read my palm and tell my fortune?

• Rookie Chatter

Can you also forsee LOTTO numbers or read my palm and tell my fortune?
    I'm just speculating like everyone else, was that really necessary to single me out and be snarky like that?

It's a matter of space and money, why would USH really bother to do anything different than a smaller scale of what Florida has? There isn't enough space for everything Florida has, and why would they give us anything from Florida's expansion if that's their main Potter focus?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm just speculating like everyone else, was that really necessary to single me out and be snarky like that?

It's a matter of space and money, why would USH really bother to do anything different than a smaller scale of what Florida has? There isn't enough space for everything Florida has, and why would they give us anything from Florida's expansion if that's their main Potter focus?
    Do you want me to speculate?

Sorry I wasn't "singling you out" or trying to be mean. I just wanted to point out none of us really knows with certainty so "who knows?"

• Singing Drinker

Very premature.

There are some things from the new Orlando expansion that it would be nonsensical for them *not* to include - for example, an enlarged Olivander's is a slamdunk, and would prevent them from having to eventually raze and rebuild the facility as they're already doing in Florida.

Beyond that, Universal's showing a commitment to fighting Disney for a share of the American theme park market - first in Florida with IOA and Wizarding World, now out in CA with largescale expansion including Transformers and the new Evolution Plan. I would HIGHLY doubt that Universal's going to drop over 1 billion and choose to deliberately downscale the west coast HP. We may lose elements due to space, but Rowling's still got final signoff and she's been adamant about not allowing a reduction in experience from her expectations. I don't see that changing just because it's in LA.

However, I will also admit that this is pure speculative guesswork, and that there's a chance that they could spend over a billion on a jagged hole in the ground with "coming soon" posted over it and leave it at that. I however prefer to remain optimistic in the face of repeated recent justifications of this view from USH.

Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rookie Chatter

Do you want me to speculate?

Sorry I wasn't "singling you out" or trying to be mean. I just wanted to point out none of us really knows with certainty so "who knows?"
    I actually would like speculation, (And you'll pardon me as inferring tone on the internet is always hard)as I'm genuinely wondering how others think it could work. I would LIKE to see a lot of detail and and such done, but I just don't see how they can pull it off in the space out here. I know they're spending a lot of money on this, but the Evolution Plan money isn't just going to Potter, so I'm just unsure of how much space, time, and money they're willing to devote to Potter. Really my main reason for thinking we're not getting nearly as much as Florida is space. Even with Gibson and Curious George gone, it's not as much of a space advantage as Florida has. I do think they're going to go as all out as possible for it though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast