Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Universal Evolution Plan

I'm a West Coaster. I have never been to the East Coast parks. It's honestly partially because for every "unique" experience there does seem to be a clone out here, and even if not I'm not a Theme Park Pokemaster - I don't have to "ride 'em all". Most of my friends are this way as well - even the ones who work at the parks.

Never overestimate the devotion of the general public when you're discussing amongst the fans. Most theme park/coaster devotees I know of think things like "It's only an extra four hours to the park with one coaster I want to ride" are commonplace, when usually convenience is a HUGE part of the draw.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I do think there's a danger of USH having its thunder stolen by Potter 2.0 in Florida. The hype and media attention will all be about Florida and people may not be all that impressed with USH. I seriously doubt people will fly halfway around the world just for the opening of USH's Potterland like they did for the one in Florida. And the ones who do show up will not be the rabid Potter fans who are willing to spend thousands of dollars on Potter merchandise because they will be going to Florida instead.

• Minion

Let's not forget the different demographics in Orlando and Hollywood. USH is full of locals and annual passholders, just like Disneyland. USO gets more tourists.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Yeah...I'm cool

I like the gibson though.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Somebody's casting a spell to make it disappear. Beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    No. I guarantee you that most tourist from the Asian countries and Australia will not travel the extra 8+ hours to Florida to see Potter.
    Of course, Universal Studios Japan's WWoHP opens in 2014, so tourists from Asia/Australia won't have to travel the first 10+ hours to California either.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    *shrug*

Saw a lot of awesome shows there. Lately it's been harder to get bookings - the industry's changed, the middle range amphitheater market is pretty crowded and Uni's on the very high end of capacity - it's safer to book four nights at the HoB in Hollywood and fill 1k a night than book a single night at Uni and pray you break 4k.

The bookings themselves have shifted. It's mostly mid-rung comedians and various musica en espanol. Good money-makers, but again - there's usually a closer option for it, and the overall amount of bookings has gone down.

*shrug*

I have friends going all history-preservationist over this. I just can't get that worked up about a mid-range corporate performance venue that I clearly remember the opening of within my lifetime.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm more looking forward to the improvements to the local streets more than the theme park. And the bike path along the river.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Part movie studio, part theme park, part corporate campus, part international tourist attraction, the 391-acre site—which lies both in the city and county of Los Angeles—plays almost as many roles as the entertainers who work there.
    Winning Universal raves | Zev Yaroslavsky

NBCUniversal’s Evolution Plan, endorsed unanimously on Tuesday by the Board of Supervisors, is a big deal. And that’s not just because the $1.6 billion final product promises to create more than 30,000 jobs while expanding production facilities and bringing “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” to L.A.

With a new trailhead park and a nearly $14 million investment in the L.A. River Bike Path, it jumpstarts the riverfront’s revitalization. It paves the way—literally—for a long-dreamed-of bike route from the San Fernando Valley to Long Beach.

Its $100 million in transit improvements will ease congestion in the long-suffering southeast San Fernando Valley even as NBCUniversal adds 1.88 million square feet of net new space for studios, offices, tourism and entertainment. Overall, the project is expected to generate some $2 billion in economic output, and add $15 million in new tax revenues to the county annually.

Talk about a stimulus package. And we can expect it to pay dividends for generations to come.

But what impressed me most was that at a time when all the talk is about how impossible our politics are as a nation, this was a case study in democracy with a “small d”. Projects of this magnitude often leave communities feeling railroaded and businesses feeling thwarted. Negatives are forced on one side or another in the name of progress, or as a necessary cost of doing business.

But on details big and small, NBCUniversal and its community collaborated to make this plan work for all sides.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    I do think there's a danger of USH having its thunder stolen by Potter 2.0 in Florida. The hype and media attention will all be about Florida and people may not be all that impressed with USH. I seriously doubt people will fly halfway around the world just for the opening of USH's Potterland like they did for the one in Florida. And the ones who do show up will not be the rabid Potter fans who are willing to spend thousands of dollars on Potter merchandise because they will be going to Florida instead.
    Unlike Orlando, Los Angeles has a steady stream of tourists who aren't necessarily theme park vacationers but who might be interested in spending a day at Universal to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by statzombie View Post
    Of course, Universal Studios Japan's WWoHP opens in 2014, so tourists from Asia/Australia won't have to travel the first 10+ hours to California either.

we get people from Asia/Australia all the time. Big demographic of tourists. I know people who are actively saving up to buy the highest end annual pass when HP comes so they can go every week. its going to be a gamechanger.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    we get people from Asia/Australia all the time. Big demographic of tourists. I know people who are actively saving up to buy the highest end annual pass when HP comes so they can go every week. its going to be a gamechanger.
    We don't need a bunch of locals who are obsessed with Harry Potter going every week.

This is what I was saying about the restaurant, if it becomes overly popular with locals it will be impossible for theme park guests to get in there.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    We don't need a bunch of locals who are obsessed with Harry Potter going every week.

This is what I was saying about the restaurant, if it becomes overly popular with locals it will be impossible for theme park guests to get in there.
    A *LOT* of that will come down to whether the quality of the food is decent.

Right now, there's not a lot of decent food inside the park. I've stopped eating in the park entirely beyond the ODV and Ben & Jerry's options (how is it even *possible* to make Panda Express even more generic and bland? HOW?!?!).

Out the gate the new area's going to be slammed. That's a given, regardless of whether it's by locals or by tourists. Whether the locals continue to patronize the restaurants on a level to cause an issue in the long run will be very likely entirely a matter of quality.

guys... there is no way for the restaurant to be open to non paying guests...

only way people got into gibson is through the black gates near will call, which would only be open during events. there is no way USH will let people in there to eat without entering the wizarding world of harry potter

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Unlike Orlando, Los Angeles has a steady stream of tourists who aren't necessarily theme park vacationers but who might be interested in spending a day at Universal to check it out.
    Yes, these are more casual tourists who will show up, take a look, and leave. Their numbers will show up in the attendance figures but they will probably not have the same impact on merchandise sales as has been seen in Florida.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast