Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Universal Evolution Plan

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    guys... there is no way for the restaurant to be open to non paying guests...

only way people got into gibson is through the black gates near will call, which would only be open during events. there is no way USH will let people in there to eat without entering the wizarding world of harry potter
    My understanding is that both theme park guests and CityWalk visitors will have an entrance into the restaurant.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    Yes, these are more casual tourists who will show up, take a look, and leave. Their numbers will show up in the attendance figures but they will probably not have the same impact on merchandise sales as has been seen in Florida.
    You DO realize that these non-spending visitors are the same ones that Disney has been courting and milking for every last cent for the last several years?

The local market in CA is not the local market in FL. Disney wouldn't be chasing the market as hard as it does if they didn't feel it worthwhile, and you wouldn't be hit up at VERY frequent intervals at USH to up to AP unless there was a hard pile of evidence showing the value of a local, AP-enabled market. There are hundreds of thousands of cash-flush teenagers within easy bus distance alone. They buy trendy merch (I'm seeing Despicable Me Uni merch on the streets, been seeing Transformers since last year), they buy snacks, they buy millions in disposable trinkets and carnival game plays.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by statzombie View Post
    Of course, Universal Studios Japan's WWoHP opens in 2014, so tourists from Asia/Australia won't have to travel the first 10+ hours to California either.
    English speaking tourists from OZ/NZ as well as other Asian countries typically prefer visiting the US over Japan even if it means longer travel times. According to latest stats the US is the 3rd most popular international destination for Australians behind New Zealand and Indonesia.
    Most popular destinations for Australians | Tourist numbers ABS

SoCal is a very popular tourist destination even without Potter. Potter just makes the entire region that much more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    The local market in CA is not the local market in FL. Disney wouldn't be chasing the market as hard as it does if they didn't feel it worthwhile, and you wouldn't be hit up at VERY frequent intervals at USH to up to AP unless there was a hard pile of evidence showing the value of a local, AP-enabled market. There are hundreds of thousands of cash-flush teenagers within easy bus distance alone. They buy trendy merch (I'm seeing Despicable Me Uni merch on the streets, been seeing Transformers since last year), they buy snacks, they buy millions in disposable trinkets and carnival game plays.
    Teenagers are small potatoes and have comparatively little money. In Florida you have people flying in from around the world literally spending thousands of dollars on useless Potter crap.

• Singing Drinker

Teenagers are small potatoes and have comparatively little money. In Florida you have people flying in from around the world literally spending thousands of dollars on useless Potter crap.
    So where does the combined park presence in California spending untold millions of dollars in courting these locals and "small potatoes" come in?

We have a vastly different market with vastly different standards of living in the area. It's been a few years since I looked at the figures, but the Orlando area just doesn't have the population base.

LA does. It's why Disney caters to them. It's why Uni is starting to.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    My understanding is that both theme park guests and CityWalk visitors will have an entrance into the restaurant.
    there is no possible way, unless they build some kind of bridge over our employee entrance. It wont be like Marvel Mania thats for sure.

those "small potatoes" are the people who come every day and ask us if we have anything HP in the stores or if we have butterbeer. I would not underestimate teenagers, even more so for USH since it is one of the most mass transit friendly parks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I read this on another Micechat thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Plus something called the "Great Hall Dining Experience" (with two entrances, one inside the park and one on City Walk) and something involving the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom?? I was just listening to the most recent Unofficial Universal Orlando Podcast (with Jim Hill) and all this was mentioned for the Hollywood WWOHP.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Will it also include Hogsmead Village and all the other fun stuff from the Orland Potter? It sounds like they are going to make Hollywood's Potter bigger and better so that it is still a destination for people who have seen the first one.
    Wait.....USH is going to have a FULL SIZED Hogwarts Castle????

• Singing Drinker

I'll be honest. That's utterly at variance with my experience growing up in this market and working at various entertainment events. LA teens are *spoiled*. Parents buy them Premium Disney APs because it's cheaper than babysitting them. They spend hours daily at their park of choice, buying food and drink, playing games with friends, etc. - there's a serious babysitter culture at work here.

There may be an equivalent at work in other regions, but I VERY clearly remember nights in school where we'd head to Videopolis, buy dinner in-park, pick up a cheesy glowstick or three, buy something for the girlfriend and head home. The next night we'd do Knott's or some other park.

Teens have the cash. Why else would every facet of our popular culture seem to be devoted to separating them from it?

Well if local teenagers are so spoiled and rich why haven't their parents already taken them to Orlando to see Potter over there?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Doesn't make it true.There have been several rumors floating around since before the announcement was made and the majority of them will never see the light of day.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Fair enough, but this idea makes sense, if the place is big enough for all the demand.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

I heard that from Jim Hill on a uni Podcast....but with the land that WWoHP has been given I dont see how it's possible. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• i believe in faeries.

there is lots of talk of people flying overseas (austrailia, etc) to visit either california or orlando 'potterland'... but what about us neighbours to the north? orlando is very expensive for western canada to get to, wheras california is totally doable, still an expensive holiday, but vastly cheaper. my kids will probably be taken to disneyworld/universal orlando ONCE in their childhood... it's just too freakin' expensive to fly all the way over there.
    having harry potter come to universal in california excites me... not only can i experience this attraction sooner (and i will come down for opening), but i can see it more often, and then i'll still be able to see what orlando has to offer when i go there in about 10 years.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good because we like Canadians down here in Cali.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast