Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Universal Evolution Plan

Los Angeles County Supervisors are scheduled to vote Tuesday on zoning regulations that would allow NBCUniversal to expand its Hollywood theme park and add more movie and television production facilities.

The company has proposed spending nearly $1.6 billion to construct nearly 2 million square feet of studio and office space at its Universal Studios Hollywood. Additions would include two 500-room hotels, a new ramp and other improvements to the 101 Freeway and a Harry Potter ride.

The plan also calls for $100 million in transit and roadway improvements, including shuttles, a Metro bus and employee and visitor incentives to take public transportation or carpool.
    County supervisors to vote on NBCUniversal park expansion - latimes.com

NBCUniversal executives originally wanted to build about 3,000 housing units on the site...

If the project gets final approval, NBCUniversal executives have said they plan to begin construction immediately.
    I'm glad they removed the residential component, and if they can improve the roads around Universal City in the process, hopefully the property will be improved by these investments.

Re: Universal Evolution Plan

cant wait for this to FINALLY be all squared away. this is the reason why there hasnt been any HP construction

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's correct. But it looks like they're going to sign off on it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Our seven-year wait for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios may finally be coming to a close: today, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved the $1.6-billion NBCUniversal Evolution Plan. In addition to the new theme park attraction, the plan is a major expansion of the Universal Studios lot, with new office, retail, and studio space, along with two 500-room hotels. But what's got Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky most excited is Universal's contribution of $13.5 million to help revitalize the LA River and improve its adjacent bike path. The money will close most of the 6.5-mile gap in the bike path between Griffith Park and Studio City, and Universal will also build a trailhead park along the river. Hollywood Patch says that today's vote instructed the county lawyers to draw up the approval documents; once that's done, one last vote will finally see the project fully approved.
    Universal Expansion, LA River Bike Path Extension Almost a Go - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

InsideUniversal.net - Universal Studios Hollywood.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

My only concern is that they will jack up traffic in the area when "Harry Potter" draws in a 200% increase in visitors to the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    My only concern is that they will jack up traffic in the area when "Harry Potter" draws in a 200% increase in visitors to the park.
    The Evolution Plan specifies $100 million in transportation and traffic improvements ranging from synchronizing signals and widening lanes to adding freeway on ramp/off ramps and improving freeway interchanges. The plan also including improving and increasing mass transit access to the area.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    The Evolution Plan specifies $100 million in transportation and traffic improvements ranging from synchronizing signals and widening lanes to adding freeway on ramp/off ramps and improving freeway interchanges. The plan also including improving and increasing mass transit access to the area.
    I'm concerned that, in the end, it won't be enough.

Barham, the 101, Cahuenga, all the streets that feed into and out of Universal City are already a disaster in the morning and evening. And that's with light attendance at USH.

The park has a lot of potential dormant demand - lots of locals haven't been in years but have fond memories of the place. Make it the "it" destination when Harry Potter opens, and not only will it be an international draw bringing Harry Potter and theme park fans, it will pique the interest of lots of people in Southern California.

I could see Universal tripling their daily attendance without even promoting it.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The park has a lot of potential dormant demand - lots of locals haven't been in years but have fond memories of the place. Make it the "it" destination when Harry Potter opens, and not only will it be an international draw bringing Harry Potter and theme park fans, it will pique the interest of lots of people in Southern California.

I could see Universal tripling their daily attendance without even promoting it.
    Compared to DL, USH is much more a locals park which will affect traffic. Hopefully metro is ready and USH should promote that you can get there by rail to help ease problems.

It's not a big attendance park so hopefully it gets busier in the offseasons and weekdays, not everyone at once on weekends when it's nice out like now. It also has rather poor attendance to like IOA will first be making up for a lag, not like DCA which was on the rise and had sudden jump.

Personally I'm not too excited. We might just get a WWoHP clone which wasn't planned really well. WWoHP was built without phase 2 in mind, so there are some problems there. I'm hoping they either do both right away or build a phase with the second in mind. I'm also hoping for another solid ride beside FJ, and not 3D screens.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Gibson Amphitheatre to Close to Pave Way for Harry Potter | Variety

It’s curtains for the Gibson Amphitheatre, as the concert venue, active since 1972, is winding down to make room for Universal Studios Hollywood’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal also plans to close its Curious George playland to provide additional space for the Harry Potter theme park.

The Terminator 2: 3D Battle Across Time ride, that closed at the end of 2012, will serve as the home of another new attraction, not related to Harry Potter, according to sources.

The Gibson, an indoor theater perched right behind Universal CityWalk, can host up to 6,189 people for concerts and events. Its final shows will take place in September, at the end of the building’s lease agreement.

• Ravenclaw

I'm dancing in my living room out of sheer joy for this news!
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    I'm dancing in my living room out of sheer joy for this news!
    Right?! So happy!!!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I'm super excited for this new land. I recently went to Orlando this past summer and thought WWOHP is Amazing in person.

I'm just hoping they at least somehow incorporate the New "Diagon Alley land" being constructed at USF.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• New Member Goes Forth

This is will be fantastic, so I can't wait for more construction!
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast