• Haunted

A Contest, of Monsters Universal 2013

A Contest, of Monsters Universal

By Haunted

June 4, 2013

Yesterday on June 3rd 2013, Universal Studios Hollywood announced a new contest for this season’s Halloween Horror Nights; a character contest.

Universal has invited their fans to “re-invent” one of their Classic Universal Monsters. The fans are to send in a full-body drawing and a facial close up along with a description of the character’s traits and nuances. On July 1st fan voting will commence on the finalists.

My first reaction to this announcement was shock; I love the classic monsters and have always had a hard time seeing new incarnations of them. However, I feel that this contest will bring some new blood into the old franchises, as well as raise awareness of these classic monsters as a whole. This contest will allow the fans to be a part of the event they love, and it will instill a feeling of involvement in Horror Nights that the random guest does not experience.

The simple fact that Universal is allowing, nay inviting their fans to be a part of the creative process for Horror Nights is quite refreshing. It shows that they listen to their fans, trust their fans, and care what their fans think about the event. It’s that kind of openness that makes for a great franchise and an even greater company.

Last year as part of Knott’s Scary Farm’s 40th Anniversary event, Knott’s invited their fans to concoct a new poster, for post-apocalyptic themed maze “Endgames”. The winner’s “warrior of the apocalypse” photo was displayed throughout the maze; an homage to the fans and fan participation.

Events would do well to consider what exactly it is that their loyal patrons actually want to see produced. Hopefully in the future, other events will consider upping the level of fan participation and fan input; maybe vote on maze concepts perhaps….?

References

“Design a Character Contest”. Universal Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood. Facebook. PDF link. 3 June. 2013. Web. 4 June. 2013. http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com...Rules_2013.pdf

“Endgames Poster Contest”. Knott’s Scary Farm. Facebook. Live Stream. 17 Aug. 2012. Web. 4 June. 2013. https://www.facebook.com/KnottsScaryFarm?ref=stream

Haunted Comments on the Haunted
    ................we're always listening..............

• Minion

Re: A Contest, of Monsters Universal 2013

This is really awesome. I wish I had art talents, I would definitely participate in something like this.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Haunted

Smile Re: A Contest, of Monsters Universal 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    This is really awesome. I wish I had art talents, I would definitely participate in something like this.
    You could always collaborate with someone...be a team effort. =)
    ................we're always listening..............

yeah if anyone would collaborate I would join.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Minion

Don't have to know how to draw to enter good luck to all who are playing...hopefully they'll still have it at HHN 2015 so I can join.

• Just the Facts

I just looked at the list, and it's void of female characters. Where's Bride of Frankenstein, She-Wolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Kathleen Burkes' Panther girl from the Island of Dr moreau and Aquanetta's gorilla girl?

• Singing Drinker

Re: the women... there's no reason you can't "reimagine" someone that way

As to the contest itself? Awesome. Wish everyone luck. Unless they're up for Stick Figure Monster Theatre That Gives Stick Figure Theatre A Bad Name, SOOOOOOO nothing I can even remotely compete for.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

this would be so awesome to participate in if only I could draw! I would be fun to re-imagine a classic monster.