Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Universal Halloween Horror Nights Announces Black Sabbath 3D Maze

Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath, the celebrated, multi-platinum rock band that pioneered the Heavy Metal genre with their dark and doom-laden sounds, fused with lyrical themes of the occult, addiction, war and nuclear apocalypse, will be immortalized in an all-original, terrifying 3D maze, "Black Sabbath: 13 3D" at Universal Studios Hollywood's premier Halloween Horror Nights event, beginning September 20, 2013.

The new maze, based on the most twisted, darkest lyrics from Black Sabbath's most popular songs will be the only attraction at the horror event to incorporate 3D video. This is a first for the event and we are interested in seeing how it pans out. The maze will feature scenes inspired by the legendary band’s recently released Billboard #1 album, "13." A nightmarish landscape of doom will engulf guests as they enter "Black Sabbath: 13 3D" and traverse through horrifying graveyards, disturbing madhouses and bone-chilling battlefields.

Of course, Ozzy Osbourne had a fair amount of involvement with the maze in that the songs from the iconic band will be used as inspiration for a barrage of nightmarish scenarios. Osbourne said, "We were all really excited when Universal Studios Hollywood approached us about doing a 3D 'Halloween Horror Nights' maze based on our music," said Black Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne. "I’ve seen the drawings of what it will look like when it’s finished and it looks amazing. I can’t wait to walk through it on opening night in September."

Expect to see Lucifer and his bride, blood-soaked dead bodies and bubbling pools of "radioactive water" while song’s inspired by "Luke’s Wall," "Iron Man," "Paranoid," "War Pigs," "Electric Funeral" and – of course – "Black Sabbath" violently penetrate the confines of the maze at high volume.

This continues the unique tradition of Universal Hollywood pioneering the music-based haunt maze. Beginning with Rob Zombie and the House of 1,000 corpses walk-through, Universal then went on to work with Shock-Rocker Alice Cooper. Now we have Black Sabbath. But how will they work into the pantheon of Rock-Haunt mazes? “Very few bands can claim to have defined a genre of music but Black Sabbaths' remarkable influence in the evolution of Heavy Metal will go down in history," said John Murdy, Creative Director for Universal Studios Hollywood. "Tony Iommi’s dark, iconic riffs, Ozzy Osbourne's haunting vocals and Geezer Butler's foreboding lyrics provide the perfect soundtrack for 'Halloween Horror Nights' and endless inspiration for our new haunted attraction 'Black Sabbath 13 3D'."

So far this season, Universal has announced Evil Dead, Walking Dead, and now Black Sabbath as mazes for this year's Halloween Horror Nights. What do you think of the line up so far? Will you be joining us on September 21st at the MiceChat Universal Halloween Horror Nights Meet-up? Tickets will be going on sale very very soon and we can't wait to have you. Join the mailing list for MiceChat Nights of Halloween meets HERE
    Last edited by Dustysage; 08-05-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Singing Drinker

Re: Universal Halloween Horror Nights Announces Black Sabbath 3D Maze

I really REALLY enjoyed Alice Cooper last year. Universal did justice to the combination of Inferno and references to the music mixed together.

With this coming, can I dare hope for Iron Maiden the Maze next year?

Pretty please?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Osbourne said, "We were all really excited when Universal Studios Hollywood approached us about doing a 3D 'Halloween Horror Nights' maze based on our music," said Black Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne.
    At least that's what they think he said.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Oh Hell yes. I can say that for Universal Haunt right?

• Minion

I don't listen to their music ( or that genre of music in general), but this maze sounds great and really scary. This announcement excited me the most strangely. I can't wait to experience it!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just don't get how we have yet to get a Resident Evil maze.....yet rock bands get mazes....

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I just don't get how we have yet to get a Resident Evil maze.....yet rock bands get mazes....
    Probably the rights. The original video game material would be under one set, the movies are Sony/Capcom. Silent Hill is a better direct comparison for obvious reasons, and was Universal distribution - they likely would already have the rights or at the very least would be easier to obtain them.

As to the music, why not? Horrorcore's been around at the very least since Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Cooper was the "modern" standard bearer and Sabbath's a pretty healthy representative of the same branch of music. They also have a vested interest in getting their music in a maze - that's a LOT of bodies going through that may not have been exposed to the music or (like me) were utterly unaware that the band was releasing a new album.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    At least that's what they think he said.
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing...that sounded way too coherent for Ozzy!

• Parking Lot > DCA

The mazes also have a lot to do with marketing as well.

Last year we had Silent Hill, pushing the Silent Hill Revelation 3D film. The Walking Dead maze/Terror Tram was all marketing for the new season, etc etc. Obviously there are some exceptions here but it's obvious that the Black Sabbath maze is pushing the new Sabbath album, just like the Evil Dead maze is promoting the film on DVD/Blu Ray.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Probably the rights. The original video game material would be under one set, the movies are Sony/Capcom. Silent Hill is a better direct comparison for obvious reasons, and was Universal distribution - they likely would already have the rights or at the very least would be easier to obtain them.

As to the music, why not? Horrorcore's been around at the very least since Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Cooper was the "modern" standard bearer and Sabbath's a pretty healthy representative of the same branch of music. They also have a vested interest in getting their music in a maze - that's a LOT of bodies going through that may not have been exposed to the music or (like me) were utterly unaware that the band was releasing a new album.
    According to many reliable HHN sources, HHNO will be getting Resident Evil this year. The right actually shouldn't be as hard to get for Hollywood due to HHN Singapore having it last year, and the all but confirmed maze for Orlando. Murdy said on twitter that he had to drop some mazes for themes that were "now or never" so that could be it. I agree with you on Black Sabbath. I have no problem with the new maze...it actually sounds really cool.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    According to many reliable HHN sources, HHNO will be getting Resident Evil this year. The right actually shouldn't be as hard to get for Hollywood due to HHN Singapore having it last year, and the all but confirmed maze for Orlando. Murdy said on twitter that he had to drop some mazes for themes that were "now or never" so that could be it. I agree with you on Black Sabbath. I have no problem with the new maze...it actually sounds really cool.
    If that is true, I would imagine that if Hollywood doesn't get it this year it's probably because they have to push certain mazes/themes for marketing purposes. That mixed with the fact that they are working with limited space might not mesh too well.

• Singing Drinker

If that is true, I would imagine that if Hollywood doesn't get it this year it's probably because they have to push certain mazes/themes for marketing purposes. That mixed with the fact that they are working with limited space might not mesh too well.
    I've heard a few well sourced rumors as to how they're dealing with that, but yeah - looming construction in coming years is going to put the amount going on now to shame. They're already having to come up with new ways to keep the maze count up.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The mazes also have a lot to do with marketing as well.

Last year we had Silent Hill, pushing the Silent Hill Revelation 3D film. The Walking Dead maze/Terror Tram was all marketing for the new season, etc etc. Obviously there are some exceptions here but it's obvious that the Black Sabbath maze is pushing the new Sabbath album, just like the Evil Dead maze is promoting the film on DVD/Blu Ray.
    But I mean...RES 6 came out last year...would have made since for it last year...but nothing

Resident Evil is still a big name...heck its going on its 6th film and over ten games.....just more creative then.....two walk dead mazes

• Parking Lot > DCA

But I mean...RES 6 came out last year...would have made since for it last year...but nothing

Resident Evil is still a big name...heck its going on its 6th film and over ten games.....just more creative then.....two walk dead mazes
    I agree to an extent. It really all comes down to marketing, licensing, what is going to get people in the door, etc etc. The Walking Dead was a huge success last year so I can totally see why they would bring it back this year.

• Singing Drinker

I give the WD maze massive props. To be honest, before that maze I had *zero* interest in the show. The maze and the trailer (and the amount the two matched, giving an absolute neophyte at least some context to hang scenes on) made me a fan. I honestly wish I'd gone through the walkthrough before the Tram for that reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast