• Parking Lot > DCA

USH Announces "Monsters Remix" Maze to Return to HHN

This was pretty expected but now it's official. Personally I LOVED this maze last year, so I'm looking forward to it again this year. Figure will do the soundtrack again as well. This maze will also feature the winner of the "Design a Monster" contest they held earlier this year.

From the Twitter:

Its baaaaaaack. Monsters Remix: Resurrection is coming to HHN...with some new twists! Which I will tell you about now....
    I couple of years ago I discovered the horror inspired music of @ImFigure, EDM music based on our classic horror icons! Dug it instantly!
    I've asked Figure to do the entire score for Monsters Remix, including composing some new tracks...can't wait for you to hear em
    But wait...there's more. Remember our Design a Character contest? Well the winning design will be prominently featured in UMR Resurrection
    Even though he's "invisible" you can't miss him. He's taking over the DJ station in the Lab...but wait...there's more!
    People often ask me how we decide what to feature at the event, well sometimes it starts on Twitter! Tons of fans asked for UMR to return...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

• Singing Drinker

Re: USH Announces "Monsters Remix" Maze to Return to HHN

I really should give this maze a try this year. I go so often during "normal" hours that the HHN version gets bumped down a large amount on priority.

Well, that and a DJ party in Dr. Frankenstein's Lab. If they're going to do comedy, they should suck it up and do comedy. Knott's has pulled it off repeatedly, I'm pretty sure Uni could to.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I really should give this maze a try this year. I go so often during "normal" hours that the HHN version gets bumped down a large amount on priority.

Well, that and a DJ party in Dr. Frankenstein's Lab. If they're going to do comedy, they should suck it up and do comedy. Knott's has pulled it off repeatedly, I'm pretty sure Uni could to.
    I think it falls somewhere in between serious and comedy. It's more of a fun and light hearted take on the classic Monsters.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

lol...yeah I don't think anyone was asking for this to come back....I understand that this maze is always the worst...but I feel like as Bog said make it funny....or I say put money into it and make it scary

As is the maze is always something my friends and I do before be leave and the line is like ten mins long...only mazes to have less then an hour wait after 10 pm..they should know that they are doing something wrong

• Functional & Decorative

Generally, the adaptation of this year round maze is always weak... but I surprisingly enjoyed last year's version. I don't mind seeing it return. And in a way, what's wrong with having a maze with little wait when all the rest are an hour +?

That said, I have to admit, I'm generally not as interested in most of the mazes they're doing this year. They involve too many franchises that I have personal interest, knowledge, or much familiarity with. It seems like the staged announcements they're doing are getting less impressive that more so. Not the best way to generate excitement.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    lol...yeah I don't think anyone was asking for this to come back....I understand that this maze is always the worst...but I feel like as Bog said make it funny....or I say put money into it and make it scary

As is the maze is always something my friends and I do before be leave and the line is like ten mins long...only mazes to have less then an hour wait after 10 pm..they should know that they are doing something wrong
    It's apparent some people wanted it back. My group that I was with last year thoroughly enjoyed it. The wait time being short should be a good thing..

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^while on paper it seems good....the maze has a short line for a reason...its the weakest maze...now if they "spoofed" the classic's or just tried more to make it scary them I'd have no problem with it...but it just seems like they aren't trying any more on this maze.
    When the other mazes get sooo much detail and are great just seems weird that they have yet to find a way to make this maze as good as them

• Hello Dolly.

It's not exactly the worst maze, there's been worse. It's actually an amazingly themed haunted attraction, it's just there all the time so most can't appreciate it anymore.

• Minion

I liked this maze last year, I just don't get why they would bring it back. The settings are already the same year after year why not just do a new overlay. Hopefully there will be new monsters rather than the same re imagined ones from last year.

• Singing Drinker

I think it's an amazing theme park addition during the day - it provides a light version of the overall experience of "haunt" in a catchall maze that covers most major horror movie genres.

It's both a blessing and curse, IMO.

For the good side, it likely helps to drive new attendance from anyone who goes through it off-HHN and enjoys the experience. It probably also gives them a core group of "talent" and support staff that get the benefit of year-round experience they can use to help train the temps when they come in.

The bad side is the permanence. You lose the ability to change up the maze with any regularity. You also become restricted in *how* you change - adding another position or two to an area is no longer just throwing a temp at the issue, it's now adding another paid full-time year round position to the overall park budget. It also results in the maze not *quite* fitting in with HHN - you can't change it enough to allow both during the day low-level staffing offseason while putting in high-staff requirement set pieces.

Neither fish nor fowl...
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I think it's an amazing theme park addition during the day - it provides a light version of the overall experience of "haunt" in a catchall maze that covers most major horror movie genres.

It's both a blessing and curse, IMO.

For the good side, it likely helps to drive new attendance from anyone who goes through it off-HHN and enjoys the experience. It probably also gives them a core group of "talent" and support staff that get the benefit of year-round experience they can use to help train the temps when they come in.

The bad side is the permanence. You lose the ability to change up the maze with any regularity. You also become restricted in *how* you change - adding another position or two to an area is no longer just throwing a temp at the issue, it's now adding another paid full-time year round position to the overall park budget. It also results in the maze not *quite* fitting in with HHN - you can't change it enough to allow both during the day low-level staffing offseason while putting in high-staff requirement set pieces.

Neither fish nor fowl...
    That's a pretty good way to put it, Lurch!