• Parking Lot > DCA

USH Horror Nights Front of the Line Trip Report

This is a bit late, but I decided to sum up what I thought of this years Horror Nights.

Last year, my friends and I made the awful mistake of buying regular tickets. Needless to say we only go to "enjoy" 2 or 3 mazes and spent most of the night waiting in line - totally our bad. This year, we went with the Front of the Line passes and it was worth every single penny. Anyway, here are my two cents about all the scare zones/mazes that HHN had to offer this year.

Scare Zones:

The Purge: Survive the Night: This was pretty awesome. We arrived a little before 7, and got to watch the opening of the park - something we hadn't experienced before. Having all the actors run through the crowd with chainsaws and crowbars was pretty exhilarating. This was definitely a fun one and I got a few good scares throughout the night.

The Curse of Chucky: I only stopped in this area for a minute, but I did get to witness Chucky being really, really mean to everyone down below in the scare zone. For that reason alone, and for things I cannot post here I rank this one pretty high on the list.

Cirque Du Klownz: Personally, this scare zone was sort of weak. It seemed like your run of the mill clown area that USH has done in the past. It wasn't awful, but it was pretty forgettable in my opinion.

The Walking Dead: Dead on Arrival: Alright - this was AWESOME. Just being on the back lot in general is neat in itself, but what they did with the sets and story was so cool. You literally felt like you were in the middle of a big city during the zombie apocalypse. They did a great job with this one.

Scarecrowz: I'm not even sure why I am including this one. This has to be the worst scare zone I've ever seen. I was in the lower lot quite often, and I never saw more than 2 actors out there. They were just sort of meandering. It almost looked like they were lost. Needless to say, it was bad. There was hardly even any signage letting you know you were in a scare zone. Super super weak.

Mazes:

The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven: We made our way to the back lot and after last years awesome Walking Dead maze, we were all pretty excited to see what this year had to offer. It didn't disappoint for sure. Lots of good scares here as well as amazing attention to detail (the prison phone ringing!). The Governor's office was pretty sweet as well. Although the show has sort of fallen flat for me, this maze was great and was easily one of the top mazes this year.

Black Sabbath: 13: I might get some flack for this, but this was my favorite maze of the night. Being a Sabbath fan, maybe I am biased but everything from the scenes to the music was incredible. It was almost cartoony in a way I thought - but a good way that worked. The only complaint I have is that they were pumping in that corpse scent a little bit too much for my liking. Other than that, totally awesome.

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead: This was another super solid maze in my opinion. I heard a lot of mixed reviews from people I knew, but this was probably one of my favorites. The intro and lead up to the cabin was amazing, and every single actor in the maze was on point. A lot of pretty gnarly scenes, too. No complaints here.

Insidious: Into the Further: Anytime you involve children and creepy stuff you're guaranteed to have a winner, or so I thought. This maze didn't really stick out too much for me though. It was a little confusing, and nothing really to write home about.

El Cucuy: The Boogeyman: This one was probably the weakest maze of the night for me. It had some really rad scenes, but it just didn't bring it like I thought it would.

Monsters Remix: Resurrection: Last year, this maze was my favorite. Figure (who does the soundtrack for the maze) is a fantastic artist and I love the classic Universal Monsters. However, this year it just wasn't there for me. I wanted it to be, and I tried to like it, but comparing it to last year it just fell short. Granted I guess there isn't too much they could do with this area but this year was inferior for sure.

Terror Tram: Invaded by the Walking Dead: I thought that the Terror Tram this year was super cool. Same basic premise as last year but they up'ed the ante. Better scenes and I felt like there were more zombies as well which was fun. Good times, and a 5 minute walk on (without using the FotL pass) was great too!

I'm not going to review the rides/Bill and Ted because the rides were basically the same and my thoughts on Bill and Ted can be seen in the thread about it being cancelled.

Moral of the story: Go for VIP or at the very least Front of the Line passes. It's worth the money. Get there early. Like 5 or 6 PM early. If you don't do these things there is no way you can fully experience everything!

• Singing Drinker

Re: USH Horror Nights Front of the Line Trip Report

Sounds like an awesome night!

I'm not 100% that it's a requirement to have FOL/VIP for the night for everyone - last year I went with a couple friends on GA and we made all but two mazes, one of them being a distinct choice early on that we just weren't going to bother.

However, it certainly makes things a LOT easier
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: USH Horror Nights Front of the Line Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Sounds like an awesome night!

I'm not 100% that it's a requirement to have FOL/VIP for the night for everyone - last year I went with a couple friends on GA and we made all but two mazes, one of them being a distinct choice early on that we just weren't going to bother.

However, it certainly makes things a LOT easier
    I would highly highly suggest it. Everyone I know that went this year that went GA hardly got to do anything.