USH Classic attraction GONE

I hadn't noticed any mention on it here, but we were at the park yesterday and I noticed the old spinning ice tunnel/mummys tomb was gone. Not just closed, but gone! Then I found on another site that it was demolished in October of this year. It will be missed.

• Singing Drinker

Re: USH Classic attraction GONE

It's probably in the way of the HP expansion.

I'll be honest - it's one of the few remaining tour attractions left from the original, but... *sigh* it was a little embarrassing with the reskin and they never really got a handle on how to make it work for the Mummy theme. My hope is that this area turns into something MUCH better (and if it's part of WWOHP, I think I'll be happy), and they've already shown plans to develop multiple *somethings* for the tour as part of the "vision plan".

Almost more alarming is that this may be the end of the Whoopi Goldberg presence in CA theme parks. What shall we ever do?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'll be honest - it's one of the few remaining tour attractions left from the original,
    Not only that, but was not even really "from the original". By the time it opened in 1975, the tour had already been running for 11 years.

• Hello Dolly.

It was pretty embarrassing to go through these past years. The Grinch Overlay they did a few years ago was pretty cool though. I'm glad USH is getting rid if their old stuff & replacing them with great attractions. I can only wonder what they'll do with this area.

It was demolished to make room for future expansion.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I liked it more when it was a Volcano in the 90s......I wont miss it too much I just hope they add a cool little end show area in potterland for the tram

• Disney Dork

It was getting kind of embarrassing. The studio tour needs to be redone completely. The earthquake subway tunnel needs to be updated. Maybe make it look like it could be from the last 10 years or so. The jaws attraction needs to be redone badly. The shark is so cheap looking it looks like a low rider bouncing out of the water. They also add some actual movie making stuff instead of this pre staged show stuff (no that they aren't good but they kind of down play the Hollywood magic). But they are getting it together but they have a LONG way to go!

They do update the backlot now and then, and I love love love it. The tram tour is one of the things I absolutely do every single trip to USH. I think the last new thing they added was the War of the Worlds airliner crash scene (which is pretty stinking cool) and the King Kong movie thing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by will1494 View Post
    It was getting kind of embarrassing. The studio tour needs to be redone completely. The earthquake subway tunnel needs to be updated. Maybe make it look like it could be from the last 10 years or so. The jaws attraction needs to be redone badly. The shark is so cheap looking it looks like a low rider bouncing out of the water. They also add some actual movie making stuff instead of this pre staged show stuff (no that they aren't good but they kind of down play the Hollywood magic). But they are getting it together but they have a LONG way to go!
    I never made the connection between a low rider and Jaws, but that's pretty funny.
    I agree with adding more actual movie making stuff and also more detail as to what's really been on screen. For instance, is a certain movie car one of three, the only one or just a replica?
    More history to the houses, for instance, the Pycho house. Was it always there or was it moved?
    Until I did some research, I was under the impression that the "Leave it to Beaver" house was from the tv show. Not a life altering awakening,LOL, but still, as a tourist I felt somewhat fooled. Although grand in scale, the W.o.t.w. set can be somewhat un- nerving before a flight.
    I guess my point is, if it's a studio tour, more actual "working studio" and "historic preservation and display"
    Just my feelings on it. Looks like I'll be there 1/22.

• Singing Drinker

Part of the problem is that the more "real" movie work going on during the tour, the less you actually see of the tour. I spent a year going fairly regularly, weekdays and weekends, and every 'live' shoot was detoured around with a very wide berth aside from a taping of "Go On" (which was apparently on break long enough to let us slip by the NY Street alley they were in).

The history is... fluid... in the area. As much as I enjoy Uni's tour, if you want a 'real' studio tour that usually includes a lot closer interaction, you might want to look up the Warner Brother's Studio Tour. It's just a bit away from Uni, doesn't have other rides, but DOES have a usually well informed guide who'll happily tell you which of their sets were actually in the shots Uni claims are on their property.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Yes. The Warner and Paramount tours are great, but I've been trying to think of a way to add more "studio" to the tour besides a talk show. There has to be some type of live filming that trams can pass through and is recorded.
    Universal is not taking advantage of technologies that are available and could be used in the park. With digital recording technology today and smart devices,a guest's experience of the park could go well beyond a photo after Jurassic.
    Hmm...