Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood - Theme Park or Studio Park?

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Did you get to IOA when WWOHP opened. The trend still happens but in a milder way now.

Almost every guest streamed to Potter, Lines were and are huge. Many guests went for the main ride, look around the land and it took hours, then they left. Because so many of the guest were packing into WWoHP and some leaveing right after, it made the rest of the park calm.

I think this could be more pronounced in USH, because it's a local park and we've all seen everything else.
    I'm curious what the acreage of IOA's WWOHP is compared to USH's. In particular the public areas. Having been to a crowded day at USH recently I just can't imagine that the Potter addition will be able to suck up all those guests.

Do you know what the ratio of locals to tourists is at USH? I've long thought of it as more of a tourists' park compared the other SoCal parks due to the lack of repeatable attractions. USH has always been someplace we only went when we brought visitors from out of town.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    Do you know what the ratio of locals to tourists is at USH? I've long thought of it as more of a tourists' park compared the other SoCal parks due to the lack of repeatable attractions. USH has always been someplace we only went when we brought visitors from out of town.

Orlando has only tourists parks, where as LA draws from people within a couple hours drive. You could call Orlando a 80/20 and LA a 20/80 split. Even though Orlando had all of those tourists going to see Potter, as I said many made it a half day side trip from Disney.

I don't know about the area. Probably more for IOA but not by a huge margin. But when WWoHP opened guest packed it densely. It was like offseason in IOA, but Christmas Vacation in WWoHP. A lot like when Carsland opened.

Another problem WWoHP had was the retail and dining was too small. I imagine that problem won't be duplicated.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Singing Drinker

From personal experience, it *seems* like USH gets a higher ratio of tourists than Disneyland by a far margin. You certainly see a lot more tourist groups compared to 'local hangouts'. It *looks* like most of the LA locals stop at Citywalk and call it a day.

I'm hoping to reup my AP in the next month or so (closer to DM opening). I'm a fan of watching construction... I was a regular denizen during the sadly brief time they had the DCA "observation platform" up and running.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Another problem WWoHP had was the retail and dining was too small. I imagine that problem won't be duplicated.
    I wouldn't be so sure. I see a lot of people comment on Wizarding World's small dimensions, but what most people fail to realize is that it wasn't simply a mistake. The designers, who have plenty of experience with these things, knew full well it would be a problem when crowded, but JK Rowling expressly *demanded* those dimensions, and she gets what she wants. You will only see better crowd management in the other WWoHPs if they've convinced her to allow it.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. I see a lot of people comment on Wizarding World's small dimensions, but what most people fail to realize is that it wasn't simply a mistake. The designers, who have plenty of experience with these things, knew full well it would be a problem when crowded, but JK Rowling expressly *demanded* those dimensions, and she gets what she wants. You will only see better crowd management in the other WWoHPs if they've convinced her to allow it.
    Some of this is being corrected - Olivander's, for instance, is being expanded in FL and I've read a few sites saying they've committed to "fixing" some of the redzoning issues.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12