Eating at Universal Studios California

I'm looking for some suggestions for where to eat while at Universal Studios. The first day we visit we would prefer to eat right in the park to save time. My kids like hamburgers and pizza, but my husband and I would prefer something else. The International Cafe looks like it might be great for my husband and me, but I'm not sure it would have anything my kids would like. And I can't seem to find a menu online. Does anyone know where I could find menus for the restaurants in the park? As well, do you have any suggestions for places to eat that appeal to both adults and kids? Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Re: Eating at Universal Studios California

I recommend just walking out to City Walk for much more variety and better food, but in the park isn't bad.

International Cafe has pre-packaged sandwiches (I love the tuna), salads, and some baked goods I believe. Right across the way is Mel's Diner, which has burgers and fries. Pizza can be located at Louis's Pizza which is right around the corner from the previous 2.

If you do go to City Walk (keep your ticket and get a handstamp), I love the City Food area (about 3 min walk from the gate). It's a large seating area surrounded by some walk-in eateries, including: Panda Express, Subway, Tommy's, Flame Broiler, Taco Bell and a Pizza Hut.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

There is hamburger and pizza is available inside the park. Mel's Diner is hamburgers and Louie's Pizza & Pasta is, well, pizza and pasta. The Jurassic Park buffet is good for everybody. They have food fit for adults and kids, but it's your choice. Theme Park Dining | Universal Studios Hollywood <---Information about the restaurants if you haven't seen this already. The International Buffet sounds good, I've never eaten there though so I can't say.
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

I really enjoy the Hard Rock Cafe in the City Walk area. There is something for everyone on the menu and the food is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by GagarianPrincess View Post
    There is hamburger and pizza is available inside the park. Mel's Diner is hamburgers and Louie's Pizza & Pasta is, well, pizza and pasta. The Jurassic Park buffet is good for everybody. They have food fit for adults and kids, but it's your choice. Theme Park Dining | Universal Studios Hollywood <---Information about the restaurants if you haven't seen this already. The International Buffet sounds good, I've never eaten there though so I can't say.
    There are no Buffets in the park, besides the one reserved for guests participating in the VIP experience.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The food at the Park is horrible. Just take the time out to find something decent at City Walk. I like Wolfgang Puck's Bistro.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. We will definitely check out City Walk.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by GagarianPrincess View Post
    There is hamburger and pizza is available inside the park. Mel's Diner is hamburgers. . . Theme Park Dining | Universal Studios Hollywood <---Information about the restaurants if you haven't seen this already. . .
    We did get good burgers at Mel's, but I think that overall the food inside the park is not good. We once had good chicken at the Jurassic restaurant, but the next time it was bad. So I second (or 5th?) an interesting walk through Universal City Walk right next door, and my favorite restaurant there is Karl Strauss, though it's a little bit of a splurge. I like the beer sampler, then getting a full serving of my favorite. I had pork chops in a horseradish sauce there . . . sorry, I just zoned out thinking about how excellent it was.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    The food at the Park is horrible. Just take the time out to find something decent at City Walk. I like Wolfgang Puck's Bistro.
    This. I love Universal, but they are leaps and bound behind Disney with respect to food… and its not like Disney is the gold standard either.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Singing Drinker

What's weird are the chain offerings that fall below the quality of the normal chain.

The Ben & Jerry's is excepted from this - hey, it's ice cream, hard to do wrong - but the experiences I've had with the pizza and Panda Express spot have been less than inspiring. We usually end up with sandwiches from the International if we're eating in park.

It's a pity. The VIP buffet is pretty darned good. I understand, VIP and all, but it'd be nice to get the quality up elsewhere.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I rarely, rarely, rarely buy food in the park. I always eat something at CityWalk. However, when the Three Broomsticks opens up, I will be enjoying Shepard's Pie!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

I had a nice bowl of chili at a place on the French street. The chicken restaurant was pretty decent, given that it's take-out.

I'll agree about the chains, though. Panda was disappointing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.