New for 2015: Fast And Furious: Super Charged, and Springfeild.

Name:  10003352_10152350436689851_4604094635556034419_n.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  81.0 KB

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. — Now Comcast is mouse hunting on both coasts.

After pouring money into its Universal Resort in Orlando, Fla., Comcast is increasing spending at Universal Studios Hollywood, unveiling a smattering of new attractions on Tuesday that — when combined with previously announced sections devoted to Harry Potter and “Despicable Me” — will leave 70 percent of the California park remade by 2016.

The enhancements, part of a $1.6 billion overhaul of the park and adjacent movie studio, are designed to keep Universal’s thrill-ride fans coming back but also to begin attracting attract families with young children, a lucrative audience that Universal until recently left almost entirely to nearby Disneyland.

“We’re trying to significantly broaden our base,” said Larry Kurzweil, president of Universal Studios Hollywood, which drew roughly 6 million visitors last year. “This isn’t about adding rides. It’s about a complete transformation.”

He may not be exaggerating. When Universal Orlando opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter four years ago, that resort went from an also-ran to a must-visit almost overnight. Year-on-year attendance shot up 30 percent as families swarmed the snow-capped shops of Hogsmeade and rode three Potter-themed rides.

To prepare for a similar surge here — a Wizarding World will open at this hilltop park in 2016 — Comcast’s NBCUniversal is adding thousands of parking spaces, spending about $100 million to improve transit and planning two 500-room hotels. But those efforts are crumbs compared to what is planned inside the gates.

On Saturday a “Despicable Me” attraction called Minion Mayhem will begin transforming riders into furry yellow Minions and taking them on a topsy-turvy excursion. Also opening is a water-themed play area called Super Silly Fun Land, a version of the seaside carnival from “Despicable Me.”

“That is our first real kiddie ride,” Mr. Kurzweil said during a pre-opening tour, pointing to a contraption called Silly Swirly, a new brightly colored offering similar to Disney’s flying Dumbo attraction, except with exotic bugs instead of elephants. “I rode it earlier myself,” he added with a smile.

The park, which will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary, said that it would also expand its “Simpsons” ride to include an entire themed village. The area, similar to one at Universal Orlando but more expansive, will add about a dozen restaurants and shops to the center of the park and open next year

Also coming next year, the company said on Tuesday, will be “Fast & Furious – Supercharged,” a movie-thrill ride hybrid in which occupants of Universal’s famed back-lot trams will be encircled by 400-foot-long movie screens. “We’re going to make it feel like those trams are being pulled through the streets at speeds of over 100 miles per hour,” said Chick Russell, an executive producer for Universal Creative.

Universal’s tram tours, which currently end at sunset, will be expanded into the evening hours. There are plans for a new nighttime story line, which will be accompanied by lighting effects at more than 20 stops.

To some degree, the remaking of Universal Studios Hollywood is less about stealing market share from Disney than catching up after years of semi-neglect. Universal’s California outpost has occasionally added new attractions, including a “Transformers” ride in 2012 and a “King Kong” experience in 2010. But Universal’s various recent owners — General Electric, Vivendi, Seagram — were all more interested in wringing cash from the theme parks than putting any in.

In contrast, the Walt Disney Company was investing heavily in its two-park Disneyland Resort 35 miles to the south in Anaheim, Calif. Disney recently spent $1 billion to expand its California Adventure park there, for instance.

Comcast has discovered — to its surprise — that theme parks represent one of the few areas of stable entertainment industry growth outside of cable television. Universal parks had operating income of about $1 billion last year, up 5.3 percent from a year earlier, according to financial filings. Revenue increased 7.2 percent.

Now Comcast, which bought control of NBCUniversal in 2011, also wants to grow by going after families, which have long been Disney’s bread and butter. “Our guests at this park used to start at about 11 years old and go up from there,” said Ron Meyer, vice chairman of NBCUniversal. “That’s no longer the case. We now have something for everybody, even very young children, with much more on the way.”

Disney, which declined to comment for this article, has repeatedly dismissed the threat of greater competition from Universal in Florida, arguing that a rising tide lifts all boats. (Most analysts agree with that theory.) Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, has also questioned Comcast’s zeal for theme parks over the long term.

“I think the jury is still out to see just how much they’re willing to invest and what kind of creativity they have to invest in,” Mr. Iger said on a November call with analysts in response to a question about competition from Comcast.

Stephen B. Burke, a Comcast executive vice president and chief executive of the NBCUniversal unit, declined an interview request. In an emailed statement, he said in part, “Going forward, we plan to keep investing.”

Mr. Burke, who spent over a decade at Disney, working for a time as a senior parks manager, added, “Our parks are well-run and firing on all cylinders.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/bu...to-disney.html
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 04-08-2014 at 12:33 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: New for 2015: Fast And Furious: Super Charged, and Springfeild.

yeah, so much for Micechat covering news anymore... Uni continuing to build out and committing specifics and crickets over here...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Singing Drinker

Nighttime tours. I thought something like that would happen. HHN getting backlot access until close was unlikely to have been a one time event.

This opens up a huge amount of potential to extend USH into a true full day park.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    yeah, so much for Micechat covering news anymore... Uni continuing to build out and committing specifics and crickets over here...
    And nary a line about this on the Miceage front page.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

This is exciting news. I'm surprised Hollywood Simpsons will be larger than Florida Simpsons. With a larger Despicable Me area, I'm getting excited that Hollywood won't just be the "other" park.

With nighttime tour rides, I might think about getting an annual pass.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I was not planning on renewing until 2016 until Wizarding World of Harry Potter is completed. Guess I'm going to have to renew my pass again for 2015 once my pass expires at the end of the year.

Can't wait to see the new Simpsons expansion area. I always thought the area would be completed by the end of the year. Guess I was wrong.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Never been more excited about the Springfield area as the Simpsons have been my favorite show since I was 8. I always thought I'd have to wait until I had money to fly to Orlando one day to try a ice cold Duff Beer.

One day USH is going to simply do away with the tram tour and replace it with a film based simulator.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah more screens cause you know...at a movie studio who wants to ride on rides that look like real sets when you can just project things

I am veryyy much excited for the Simpsons mini land being a huge fan of the show....well at least the show back in the 90's

I went to Universal Studios Resort in Orlando last October and I must say I enjoyed Springfield. Spent most of my time there. The theming is great and enjoyed some of the inside jokes that Simpson fans would get, like "Do the Bartman" in the music loop. Had the Krusty Burger and it was surprisingly great. Just sitting in Moe's Tavern having a Duff was a major wow moment. I'm wondering who will make Duff beer for Hollywood. A micro brewery in Florida makes for the Orlando resort.

Thinking of getting an AP to Universal now!