• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Sad Day at Universal USH now has Disneyesqe disabled policy Rating from A to D

I use to love USH I used to live next door and go every week I even used to do contract work there before I became disabled.
    I was shocked when I went recently to see the opening of the Despicable Me attraction that they and instituted a Disney like policy towards the disabled where for no reason I can see whatsoever disabled people now get a card that they have to show at entrance to rides and then get a return time based on the current wait time!

PEOPLE FOR THE LAST TIME DISABLED PEOPLE ARE NOT HEALTHY PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS!!!!!

They are often very ill inside like me I can only go place for 4 hours max well now more like 3 hrs max it takes most the time just to get around but then to wait to come back at a later times makes it impossible to go places we arent there for 8 or 10 or 12 hrs heck electric wheelchairs will only last 5 hrs or so. What worse if you want to go to Transformers you have to go down to lower lot in special bus then wait down there where there isnt much to do for over an hour???!

The worst thing is that for example the transformers ride the seperate disabled line is completely empty! they now want you to wait an hour outside a line that is empty?!

Universal you so disapoint me my rating goes form A+ to D- go back to the system you had before it was working just fine you dont have that many disabled people there and if any of the abled people were complaining that they see people in wheelchairs not having to wait well let them go get a terminal incurable illness too so they can be forced to use a wheelchair if they dont think its fair then they can go on without waiting too!!

Also the Despicable me thing was only for little kids and very disapointing in every aspect and was a maybe 10% as good as the Terminator show it replaced way to go.....

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Re: Sad Day at Universal USH now has Disneyesqe disabled policy Rating from A to D

This has been the policy for 5+ years.

And honestly, why should a disable person get a "cut to the front, any time I want" pass. Wait your turn like everyone else. If that means having to wait off to the side or do something else before returning, so be it.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Re: Sad Day at Universal USH now has Disneyesqe disabled policy Rating from A to D

Because like I said in my post,
    PEOPLE FOR THE LAST TIME DISABLED PEOPLE ARE NOT HEALTHY PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS!!!!!

I have a terminal incurable illness with 3 full pages of serious symptoms I can only make such a trip maybe twice a year and for only 3 maybe 4 hrs out max so yeah waiting around to get to go on a ride when the disabled line is EMPTY is out of the question.

If healthy people are upset about sick people not waiting in line because well they cant because they are SICK then those healthy people should go get a serious terminal illness so they too can earn the priviledge of special treatment I/we have paid the high price for the special treatment by being very ill.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Singing Drinker

But still, this is not a new policy - USH had this policy in place for a substantial length of time before Disney instituted the DAS system. It's entirely possible that Disney did a fair amount of emulation of their system.

I understand you are upset at the system, but implying it's new or a copy of a system put in place after it existed is a little misleading.

After a little research, I'd also add that USH and Disney are in conformity with Knott's, Sea World and Magic Mountain. It appears this system is now the de facto industry standard.
    Last edited by BogLurch; 05-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    If healthy people are upset about sick people not waiting in line because well they cant because they are SICK then those healthy people should go get a serious terminal illness so they too can earn the priviledge of special treatment I/we have paid the high price for the special treatment by being very ill.
    Yikes. That is a little bit out of line, IMO.

I'm echoing BogLurch and Ryan here when I say that this is basically the new theme park industry standard when it comes to disabled services. If you plan on going to ANY of the major local Southern California parks, you're going to face this policy. At this point, it's either commit and embrace, enjoy the other entertainment that the parks have to offer you, or don't go.

I would normally suggest calling up Guest Services at Universal and letting them know your complaint, but I really don't think it's going to change anything. This is the way ALL of the theme parks are handling this issue now. Voicing your concern couldn't hurt, though I guess.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If all of these theme parks are truly failing to offer reasonable accommodation then file a law suit, as that is the mechanism for handling issues of accommodation.

Or maybe it is time to accept that theme parks are just something you can no longer handle. They sure seem to cause you a lot of stress given that your posts are all almost exclusively of a similar tone.

The worst thing is that for example the transformers ride the seperate disabled line is completely empty! they now want you to wait an hour outside a line that is empty?!
    This actually isn't true. The disabled queue for Transformers is just the "Gate A" entrance but you access it from the side of the building using the ramp instead of the stairs directly upfront.

If you have a special situation with a disability bring it up to those in Guest Relations, and they will definetly attempt to meet each persons needs.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee