Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Soundstage 28 'Phantom Of the Opera' Removal

Inside Universal Has gotten multiple Reports that the Famous 'Soundstage 28' Home to the famous film; "Phantom of the Opera" is getting removed.

One of the Reports was by someone that worked over at the CSI Soundstages that He got word about the Phantom Stages removal. It is unknown what is coming or if the entire Soundstage will be demolished but it has been looked by Universal Fans as a Great place to have a new Attraction in that building.

Thoughts?
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Soundstage 28 'Phantom Of the Opera' Removal

There are a few things that make me skeptical here. First, Stage 28 is a giant piece of not only film history, but Universal's history as well. That particular sound stage is the oldest on the back lot, and the only one to be named after a film ('Phantom Stage'). Sitting inside Stage 28, nestled against the walls is one of the oldest remaining movie sets in the world.

Secondly, they still actively use Stage 28 for filming. One thing to remember is that Universal Studios Hollywood is a movie studio first, and theme park second - unlike it's sister in Florida. While I am sure they want to expand their theme park as much as possible, I don't think removing one of the most historic things on the entire property is on the list. I have also heard that the set (possibly the stage itself as well) are part of the National Historic Registry - and therefore cannot be removed or altered. I'll try to look more into that to see if it holds any water.

Thirdly, this claim is just that. A claim. It's a word of mouth rumor. I just can't see it happening. That is, I hope it never happens.

I had the chance to visit Stage 28 a few years ago, and that Paris Opera House set (what is left of it) is incredible. Removal just wouldn't make sense to me.

It would be sad if they remove this.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Given it is allegedly haunted, I am surprised they never worked it in to Halloween Horror nights, I mean it was used for both Phantom and Psycho and Lon Chaney S.R.'s ghost or one of the set builders ghosts is said to haunt it, it would be perfect to not only be kept for posterity but people could learn it's significance in a unique way.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Functional & Decorative

^I've always thought that too, but then I thought about the logistics, realizing that it's probably more financially smart to keep it as a soundstage than a haunt attraction, which would take it out of commission for months.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    There are a few things that make me skeptical here. First, Stage 28 is a giant piece of not only film history, but Universal's history as well. That particular sound stage is the oldest on the back lot, and the only one to be named after a film ('Phantom Stage'). Sitting inside Stage 28, nestled against the walls is one of the oldest remaining movie sets in the world.

Secondly, they still actively use Stage 28 for filming. One thing to remember is that Universal Studios Hollywood is a movie studio first, and theme park second - unlike it's sister in Florida. While I am sure they want to expand their theme park as much as possible, I don't think removing one of the most historic things on the entire property is on the list. I have also heard that the set (possibly the stage itself as well) are part of the National Historic Registry - and therefore cannot be removed or altered. I'll try to look more into that to see if it holds any water.

Thirdly, this claim is just that. A claim. It's a word of mouth rumor. I just can't see it happening. That is, I hope it never happens.

I had the chance to visit Stage 28 a few years ago, and that Paris Opera House set (what is left of it) is incredible. Removal just wouldn't make sense to me.
    Apparently, it isnt Registered in the National Historic Registry. from this:

http://www.nps.gov/nhl/find/statelists/ca/CA.pdf

The Studios and Theme Park is Private property of NBCUniversal/Comcast so they can use it to whatever possible..

Now, there was a rumor a while back that this is going to be the next thing for a ride after HP and now... it makes sense here.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    Given it is allegedly haunted, I am surprised they never worked it in to Halloween Horror nights, I mean it was used for both Phantom and Psycho and Lon Chaney S.R.'s ghost or one of the set builders ghosts is said to haunt it, it would be perfect to not only be kept for posterity but people could learn it's significance in a unique way.
    I do not believe in ghosts, but I am sort of glad they haven't used that sound stage for a maze. It stands alone as a very cool piece of history. I think it should stay that way.

I also have to echo JesterMn in saying that because Stage 28 is used for filming all the time, having it down for a few months wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexshow View Post
    Now, there was a rumor a while back that this is going to be the next thing for a ride after HP and now... it makes sense here.
    What makes sense? An old rumor resurfacing? Harry Potter isn't done. Springfield isn't even done. What doesn't make sense is demolishing a giant sound stage that is actively used for filming, history aside.

If they do go through with this, they are making a horrible mistake. Universal seems to be pretty in touch with their legacy, and this is still in the rumor category so I am not going to put too much stock into it and hope for the best.

On the VIP tour last year, they did tell the tale of the haunting at HHN

I hope they never tear this soundstage down. I am a huge Phantom of the Opera fan having seen all the movies and Broadway play. If I ever make it to California taking the VIP tour and taking a picture of at least the soundstage was one of my things on my bucket list. Plus I like that it is old and plays into Universal's history. I don't believe in ghosts either but it would be cool to go in and see for myself if it was allowed and I don't think they let tours in there anymore from what I have heard.

• Singing Drinker

I have a very strong suspicion that we'll be seeing a continuing shift of the park philosophy as long as the current owners keep their current visions in place etc.

The shift's been happening very slowly for decades. I remember back when Uni was on a round robin tour with Warner and the original NBC studio tour (also the old Busch Gardens beer tour... *sigh*). Sets, a few practical gags, a few picture spots, pretty much everything pointing directly towards "you are at a movie studio, you are in a spot where movies are made, and if you're really lucky you may actually see some of the process".

The theme park side spread slowly. The remains of the tail end of the most recent major shift are still present in the lower lot - rides that are fairly well themed and detailed but don't have a major connection to the "land" around them. Taken on a Disneyfied theme level, the lower lot is a bloody mess. The rides are all now "you ARE there" experiences rather than "you are on a film set" - Mummy lost the Brendan Fraiser narration and now pretty much runs with the "you have violated a real tomb" idea, Jurassic and Transformers have always been 100% straight interpretations without the "and you're watching us make a movie" angle.

Now we're seeing the next step in the evolution towards "Theme Park" - multiple fully themed and immersive areas with appropriately themed infrastructure, supporting stores and restaurants and rides. Not just a halfhearted step, either. Springfield is looking to be pretty impressive, and WWOHP is... what it is. I don't truly include DM's SuperSillyFunland area as a part of this, but it's interesting to note that they're even trying to expand a thematic radius around standalone attractions.

All that said? The movie making world is changing. You can accomplish increasingly convincing and realistic effects and worlds through CGI, and the effects are becoming harder to distinguish between computer or practical. Those studio hangers are costly to maintain - ventilation systems etc. that don't even include actual useage.

I wouldn't remotely be surprised in the coming decade to see this and the other core studio structures relocate or vanish entirely. Universal's going to stay a film studio for the foreseeable future, but IMO Comcast's sending a very strong message that the property is definitely up for some changes.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    I don't think they let tours in there anymore from what I have heard.
    It is my understanding is that it all depends on the shooting schedule. If the stage isn't being used, chances are you'll get to go in (VIP tour).

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I have a very strong suspicion that we'll be seeing a continuing shift of the park philosophy as long as the current owners keep their current visions in place etc.

The shift's been happening very slowly for decades. I remember back when Uni was on a round robin tour with Warner and the original NBC studio tour (also the old Busch Gardens beer tour... *sigh*). Sets, a few practical gags, a few picture spots, pretty much everything pointing directly towards "you are at a movie studio, you are in a spot where movies are made, and if you're really lucky you may actually see some of the process".

The theme park side spread slowly. The remains of the tail end of the most recent major shift are still present in the lower lot - rides that are fairly well themed and detailed but don't have a major connection to the "land" around them. Taken on a Disneyfied theme level, the lower lot is a bloody mess. The rides are all now "you ARE there" experiences rather than "you are on a film set" - Mummy lost the Brendan Fraiser narration and now pretty much runs with the "you have violated a real tomb" idea, Jurassic and Transformers have always been 100% straight interpretations without the "and you're watching us make a movie" angle.

Now we're seeing the next step in the evolution towards "Theme Park" - multiple fully themed and immersive areas with appropriately themed infrastructure, supporting stores and restaurants and rides. Not just a halfhearted step, either. Springfield is looking to be pretty impressive, and WWOHP is... what it is. I don't truly include DM's SuperSillyFunland area as a part of this, but it's interesting to note that they're even trying to expand a thematic radius around standalone attractions.

All that said? The movie making world is changing. You can accomplish increasingly convincing and realistic effects and worlds through CGI, and the effects are becoming harder to distinguish between computer or practical. Those studio hangers are costly to maintain - ventilation systems etc. that don't even include actual useage.

I wouldn't remotely be surprised in the coming decade to see this and the other core studio structures relocate or vanish entirely. Universal's going to stay a film studio for the foreseeable future, but IMO Comcast's sending a very strong message that the property is definitely up for some changes.
    This is the most logical thing I've seen so far regarding this rumor.

*Wind of Change by The Scorpions plays*

My hope that is if Stage 28 gets removed, they relocate that set and keep it somewhere safe. Even if it's not accessible to the public, it would still be nice to know it exists.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post

My hope that is if Stage 28 gets removed, they relocate that set and keep it somewhere safe. Even if it's not accessible to the public, it would still be nice to know it exists.
    I have dreams To me, best case would be the sets and the NBC/Uni experience rolled together into an attraction celebrating the property's history including the ability to wander the (potentially recreated for safety and better theme) original Phantom set.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Variety has confirmed that Soundstage 28 is getting removal.

Universal to Demolish ‘Phantom of the Opera’ Stage, But Preserve Set | Variety

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexshow View Post
    Variety has confirmed that Soundstage 28 is getting removal.

Universal to Demolish €˜Phantom of the Opera€™ Stage, But Preserve Set | Variety
    Well there we have it. Sucks to see such a historic building go.

I wonder if it will be open for viewing this fall

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast