View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like most of the ideas (please explain)

3 25.00%
  • Dislike most of the ideas (please explain)

2 16.67%
  • I like Universal Village better

1 8.33%
  • Don't care/ Unsure

7 58.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Filmfreak11's Universal Studios Hollywood Improvement ideas

I felt this earned its own thread.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/univ..._hollywood.htm

News of this is getting worse and worse.

They're getting rid of practically 1/2 the studio to this Universal Village. And Gibson Theater and Collapsing bridge would still exisit!

This is the worse plan I probably heard in a long time. Universal Village in my eyes is just a way to make more money for the land from homeowners. I seriously hope this is turned down.

They might as well provide a Starway 2 or drop guests in this area ala Halloween Horror Nights to the free standing backdrop, grass area, and WotW set for the park's Mid-Lot or something. This Mid-Lot would be pretty quiet with many indoor attractions as to not disrupt the nearby neighbors. I know inbetween the trams and "Mid-Lot" is the transportation garage, a building, scenic view of San Fernado Valley, and more walking towards our destination. But a Speedways like you see in airports and covered bridges might work. Wouldn't it be interesting to keep going straight and then down instead of turning right for the Tram Tour to get to "Mid-Lot"? Actually, I wonder what the distance comparison is to Starway and "Starway 2" would be...?? I'm sure if they added some movie themeing and props, it may be more worth while to walk. Let's get a water raft ride (ala Grizzly River Run, Pluto's Barge, etc) here, dark rides, and a couple unique attractions made specifically for USH. Perhaps after the tram passes by the Psycho House, a new road is made for the trams to backtrack to take the road behind the free-standing backdrop and around here is the new spinning tunnel of doom.

I think the new Fast & Furious is lame. But the tram route design is great and the land it used is also great. The show itself is dull and a waste of the robo-coaster technology (Disney's Nemo ride(s) makes better use of it with the Angeler fish). But I'm glad they brough back the movie cars along the tram route! So the transition for F&F is fine, but they needed a better show. The "updated" Jurassic Park is also great too. Something also needs to be done with Collapsing bridge and other show scenes.

Should move Gibson Theater to where the SkyDive & backstage parking lot is. Then you have more room for the theme park. Put the Nickeoldean Blast & Jungle Arena where Fieval's Playground used to be in Coke Soak. Then you have room and foundation to build a real attraction there.

The idea of flattening Wild West Stunt show seems like the only good idea. Although it will definately make the area seem bigger because it's more open, it's losing land for an attraction... but it might encourage a small parade like they used to for X-mas... Maybe they could put on a show here to end the guest's day at USH... And maybe this will encourage Universal to further theme the Animal Actors and other structures since they would be more exposed. May also make a good scare zoone and maze for HHN.

I thought Fear Factor would have interchangeable stunts so as to make the show a bit more unpredictable. But no, it's dull. Maybe if "Eragon" proves to be a success, a new stunt show that has the appropiately themed castle facade may work. And have a nice cool feeling of seeing Conan again on that stage.

Shrek4D has become a bit dull for me now. They just painted the castle themeing and there's a lot of wasted queue space (ala Mummy). It'd be interesting to get a Spongebob Boat Driving darkride or something of the sort. This building really needs a darkride. And the mentioned land next to it could work as a dark ride as well, and possibly access to the Gibson Theater area for its theme park expansion.

The new Panda Express was a huge mistake. THEY ALREADY HAVE PANDA EXPRESS IN THE LOWER LOT WITH JURASSIC CAFE. Plus no one is usually on the 2nd floor of Jurassic Cafe! Panda Express & Lucy Tribute could be a new and a huge ride building (multi-story and underground construction). I was thinking a new version of "Men in Black: Alien Attack", but with the possibility of "Mid-Lot", maybe something smaller could take place.

Then there's Backdraft. I was thinking of a "War of the Worlds" set similar to "Twister: Ride It Out" with Alien space craft AA's rising from the ground. And the pre-show rooms be converted for queue space, getting rid of it's current queue for "MIB". But WotW doesn't have to stick, just needs something different besides watching fire.

I'm a bit sad Waterworld may be getting the boot. I think it's going into its 12th year, no? Screamscape's map indicates it's leaving for a big attraction building- Spider-man?

The repainting/themeing of the backside of Shrek4D is great.

Back to the Future, Blues Brothers, and Van Helsing's fate have yet to be decided. I knew the area infront of BTTF would make a nice stage area, and HHN proved it.

I think that's about most of what I wanted to say.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 12-16-2006 at 02:42 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Filmfreak11's Universal Studios Hollywood Improvement ideas

Was looking at Universal 360 on youtube and thought maybe 1 globe could fit where Wild West Stunt would be flattened. Then have a bunch of lasers, laser animation, projection, light effects, smoke effects, etc around this "hub". Probably limited fireworks effects that "surround" the "hub" as well.

I think the free-standing backdrop and pool of water can be undisturbed. Just leave the area around it open and viewable to guests when not in use. Then when production is underway, the guests can get a REALLY closeup view of filming. And no parades. Secruity around the area to keep people quiet during a take. It could be great

Maybe a water show could be in, I think it's called, "Falls Lake" for day and night entertainment.

Probably where Gibson theater is & Nickeolodean Blast Zone & Jungle arena, would be a nice "Seussville". Maybe have a Cat in the Hat, Caro-seuss-el, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, If I Ran the Zoo playarea. But no Trolley Train Ride. Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-Pendous will offer Green Eggs & Ham. HOP ON POP ICE CREAM SHOP and MOOSE JUICE GOOSE JUICE ODV carts and offered in the Circus Cafe. I'd like a Grinch darkride, but I don't know because it's focused on X-mas... The attraction could be housed in/ facade Mount Crumpit. Most likely more inspired by the Chuck Jones version. And obviously, guests ride sleighs through this storybook tale.

I already mentioned probably relocate Nickelodean stuff to Coke Soak. (Even though I understand Coca-cola is relentless in removing the Soak, they could sponsor some other attraction!)

Mid-Lot could have its own Superhero land (with obviously Spider-Man and other dark ride type attractions), a Woody Wood Pecker/ Tom & Jerry/ Chille Wille/ Droopy, etc land, "Sci-Fi" land, "Dreamworks Animation" land, and "Sony Animation" land.

I think Sci-Fi could have a relocated Star Trek Experience from Las Vegas Hilton (since LV is going back to its "adult" roots), a Halo overlay of MIB, and MIB is a robo-coaster on tracks.

It'd be nice to have Fast and Furious be dueling roller coasters.

Hmmm... maybe include Shrek4D with Whoville...

I think perhaps keep BTTF and put Simpsons in Mid-Lot...

Ghostbusters could go in Sci-Fi with special appearances by Beetlejuice & Casper

I'm still thinkin...
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 12-17-2006 at 01:06 PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Was looking at Universal 360 on youtube and thought maybe 1 globe could fit where Wild West Stunt would be flattened. Then have a bunch of lasers, laser animation, projection, light effects, smoke effects, etc around this "hub". Probably limited fireworks effects that "surround" the "hub" as well.

I think the free-standing backdrop and pool of water can be undisturbed. Just leave the area around it open and viewable to guests when not in use. Then when production is underway, the guests can get a REALLY closeup view of filming. And no parades. Secruity around the area to keep people quiet during a take. It could be great

Maybe a water show could be in, I think it's called, "Falls Lake" for day and night entertainment.

Probably where Gibson theater is & Nickeolodean Blast Zone & Jungle arena, would be a nice "Seussville". Maybe have a Cat in the Hat, Caro-seuss-el, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, If I Ran the Zoo playarea. But no Trolley Train Ride. Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-Pendous will offer Green Eggs & Ham. HOP ON POP ICE CREAM SHOP and MOOSE JUICE GOOSE JUICE ODV carts and offered in the Circus Cafe. I'd like a Grinch darkride, but I don't know because it's focused on X-mas... The attraction could be housed in/ facade Mount Crumpit. Most likely more inspired by the Chuck Jones version. And obviously, guests ride sleighs through this storybook tale.

I already mentioned probably relocate Nickelodean stuff to Coke Soak. (Even though I understand Coca-cola is relentless in removing the Soak, they could sponsor some other attraction!)

Mid-Lot could have its own Superhero land (with obviously Spider-Man and other dark ride type attractions), a Woody Wood Pecker/ Tom & Jerry/ Chille Wille/ Droopy, etc land, "Sci-Fi" land, "Dreamworks Animation" land, and "Sony Animation" land.

I think Sci-Fi could have a relocated Star Trek Experience from Las Vegas Hilton (since LV is going back to its "adult" roots), a Halo overlay of MIB, and MIB is a robo-coaster on tracks.

It'd be nice to have Fast and Furious be dueling roller coasters.

Hmmm... maybe include Shrek4D with Whoville...

I'm still thinkin...

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

I don't think readers want to go through this long post... that's why there's no poll voters (just like reality ) and replies. ANYWAYS,

Retheme Upper Lot's "New York", "Cartooniversal", "Western alley", and parts of the Van Helsing building set to have art deco 1920-50s themeing. Relocate the "Lucy Tribute" maybe in the candy shop between Western Alley, Shrek4D, and Flintstones. Open up the restaurant next to Van Helsing.

Since Lower Lot would have about 5 attractions, 1-2 restaurants, and a food stand, MidLot could reflect that. With 1 raft ride, 1 Spider-Man, 1 MIB (robo-coaster), 1 F&F (duel indoor coaster), and 1 Halo(?- interactive dark ride). Probably more that I can't think of now. 1 indoor stunt show stage similar to IOA's Sinbad, Beetlejuice, and Wild West Show-style in the center of MidLot (similar to how Wild West show was near center of Upper Lot). Most likely a Marvel Superheroes vs Supervillains stunt show, leaving Fear Factor upstairs (but it should really be more random). Should have a Metropolitan area and Superhero area at least (moving Marvel Store down here). Appearances by Ghostbusters Ecto 1, Blues Brothers, Mystery Inc & Scooby Doo, and BTTF DeLoren & characters. Enter off & on park property east of Psycho House and are stored in that warehouse across the Bates Motel, maybe. Maryolin Monroe, Lucy, Garbo, Charlie Chaplin, etc stay on Upper Lot around art deco areas. 1-2 restaurants and couple food stands in midlot, not sure what yet.

Been thinking of themeing new playground in Coke Soak with classic MGM and Universal animated animal characters and having a Nickeoldeon dark ride in Shrek 4D...

-Jurassic Park

How about a ride themed to the new Peter Pan they made a few years back? It could be pretty exciting with that version due to the darkness of some of the scenes and the giant croc.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I would think some might confuse it with Disney... then again, the Universal park in Japan just did a Peter Pan night show... and that Peter Pan movie version did okay in the box office... but I still like it

Just thought since Paramount studio parks MIGHT be sold off, what about bringing one of their highly themed Tomb Raider rides and bring it to USH... or put the Tomb Raider theme over Universal's Poesidon's Fury for USH...

EDIT: I looked at a satellite map closer. Seems like just the Nick water play area can be relocated to Coke Soak and rethemed with Hana-Barbera characters. Leave the jungle air-balls and mini-water play area. Probably theme this with Curious George... I think all the SeussVille has enough room over Gibson. BUT the Starway to Mid-Lot may seem better from the south end of this land which would south of the vehicle repair/ garage building extending towards over where the trams stop to view San Fernado valley. Then continue southeast and east by Falls Lake. Seems like a slightly shorter route.

Heard a rumor that BTTF may close Feb 2007 BUT Universal may have lost the rights to use The Simpsons...

If you're wondering about a new Gibson theater from Cityywalk's SkyDive area to over the empty lot beside the parking structure, I mean it like in BTTF's design. Like how this theater would be built OVER the lot to allow room for parking and pathways under it to continue.

Specific "lands" may not be needed around USH. But themeing areas time to time would still be nice.

USH is clearly aware their park is small, so why give precious land to housing developers (ala what almost happened to Six Flags...). Interesting how all this is happening now (GardenWalk, Universal's Visionary Plan, 6 Flags, etc.)
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 12-20-2006 at 02:32 AM.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Forgot to mention how I would have liked the Blues Brothers stage to be. It would be like a truck loading platform. The ones that have a sort of ramp that slopes down. Then the metal doors the fold up could have a "Blues Brothers LIVE!" painted sign on it. Speakers painted like crates. Audience in the slope sit on crates/benches. There should be enough room in the aisles and between teh audience and stage for performers and audience particapation. Then when the brothers drive in and go on stage, the metal doors fold up and reveals a band ready to play

Then in October and during HHN, Blues Brothers would be replaced by "Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue".

Photo examples:
    http://www.chromalark.com/2006/02/loading_dock.html
    http://www.combinedmetal.com/images/...ing%20dock.jpg

Also thought more about Starway 2. Still going out from south of Seussville towards where the trams stop to view San Fernado valley. BUT it turns a slight right to hug around the new Gibson Theater. Then goes south over where the trams exit from the Mummy's tomb. Then the Starway goes down where the tomb is (allowing traffic to pass under Starway). Then at the entrance to the tomb (around where Starway exits/entrance, the pathway cuts through the "forest" area and straight into Mid-Lot. I feel better about this than the other Starway 2 ideas. Oh, and this Starway will be mostly level so there should be quite a few of those speedramps to get to and from MidLot quickly. And I think the handicap access to MidLot would be available at the same location handicap access is for Lower Lot.

And I think the whitewater raft ride should be south of Falls Lake, they kinda compliment each other. Then the themeing inbetween could be waterfront-like. I'd rather find another theme besides Popeye for the rafts though, not sure what.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 12-20-2006 at 11:38 AM.

-Jurassic Park

• My Boss Has No Idea

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post

Back to the Future, Blues Brothers, and Van Helsing's fate have yet to be decided.
    Van Helsing's been closed for over a month now.

Backdraft is sooooooo 1991 and needs the BOOT; fast! Should combine with the special effect theater for a WOTW darkride. Since the BTTF is closed in Florida, Hollywood can't be too far away. I heard rumors about making it an interactive gameshow arena, ala the old 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' at MGM, a Deal or No Deal show....

A second starway would be great, but would NEVER happen. There's too much money to gain in expanding the studio space than there is in expanding theme park space. That's just the way the real estate game goes in this century. The best the can do is recycle all the attractions (from ET to Mummy). I used to like the Waterworld show, but it's time to redevelop if they want the dollars of vistors who were too young to even know what waterworld was (as the case with Backdraft).

I miss the Conan show... time for Hollywood to bring him back

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

The only problem with USH is not as big as USF. Hollywood's main attraction is the tram and the actual working studios. Everything else is just there for entertainment.

GE might add a few new attraction but they really have not done anything really with the any of the parks except for Mummy and Fear Factors. Add to the fact, that Universal has had three different owners, Seagram, Vivindai, and now, GE. I am hoping improvement come for both US parks with recent Singpoor park. They could clone of the new rides for the US.

• Banned User

they might not be selling the land, but building condos on the property with clauses in the contracts against complaining about whats going on with the studios and park....

they did want to make a IOA park years ago but other neighbors complained it to death.... it was in the same area as the residential will be built in around 10 years or so...

they are thinking about the studios since that comes first, then the themepark second... but i think water world is almost over.. so think about a building over that theater area...

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

My opinion is.. just leave it the way it is, I love WaterWorld and they beter not tear that out, they just refurbished the whole thing... BTTF could be updated, but not torn out... Back Draft needs to go though, they should add it to the studio tour, the tram pulls in and the place explodes, then you leave the the next tram drives through. JP is fine, ROTM is fine, just leave the place alone, we need more rides there rather than shows, replacing BTTF with a stage show is just dumb to me... If the WW fate is to tear it down, I will deffinatley start a petition...

An Indy style ride through Skull Island would rock. To make up for his huge financial loss, Carl Denham sets up hunting expidetions to Skull Island. It would need to be like Indy and have one giant well done chamber, but themed to a tropical isle with a waterfall and ruins instead of the Mara face. Guests would be attacked by the natives, those bat creatures, giant insects, T-Rex, and at the end come face to face with Kong. I know he was killed at the end, but you can't really have a Kong ride without Kong. Maybe it can be another unknown ape.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    ...but you can't really have a Kong ride without Kong. Maybe it can be another unknown ape.
    Son of Kong
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• ...TWO BITS!

I said fate unknown for Van Helsing because we really don't know what is coming next. I knew it was already closed.

How can (I already knew this) the studio come first then theme park come 2nd when their developing a residental ON the studio lot... and I know they know that the park has little space. So how is building residental homes part of "the studio comes first" guideline?? Just because they'll sign they can't complain?? If they're gonna destory 1/2 the backlot, might as well make it for theme park expansion. It just doesn't really make much sense to me... "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules..."

A Deal or No Deal for BTTF?! Just as lame as residental housing idea!! I don't think it's that popular. We alreayd have Fear Factor, and it's on seasonal operation in Hollywood!!

I like Waterworld and BTTF as well! Updates to BTTF would be nice though.

Simply leaving the way USH is, in IMHO, not going to be good in the long run. This "MidLot" would definately expand what USH has to offer.

Again, the only thing I like from Universal's proposal is demo Wild West to open up that area. Everything else just makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    they did want to make a IOA park years ago but other neighbors complained it to death.... it was in the same area as the residential will be built in around 10 years or so...
    Hmmm... can you tell me more? Most of the MidLot attractions will and should be quietly indoors to prevent high noise pollution.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 12-20-2006 at 06:29 PM.

-Jurassic Park

This does not surprise me. GE has been looking very hard at their property and looking for additional ways to capitalize on the park and studio. I am not surprised to see WW set for demo on the new map. It is a huge space and it is moving into its 12th year in operation. The show still packs people in, but its been 12 years. The overall scope of the project looks like it is meant to reshape the park.

Universal desperately needs to re-brand and either commit huge sums of money to update the park on a regular basis or look at other ways to use the property. There are many benefits Universal in this plan. The idea seems to turn the upper lot and the additional land into a Paseo Colorado type development. (If your not familiar with Pasadena, Paseo Colorado is a mixed use entertainment, living development on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. It is highly innovative and is a good use of land providing both housing and services.) It would seem that Universal is looking to do something like this at Universal City. From a business stand point it makes good sense. You build houses and condos above retail and restaurants and throw in a good bit of entertainment of you have an area where people will want to live.

As far as the park goes I canít say that it would break my heart to see it demolished. Universal does not have the charm that Disney does. Universal lacks the commitment to show that Disney has and Universal does not make attractions or movies that are lasting. They are second rate; they know it and they donít try to move away from that image. How long has T2 not been working correctly? Ever ridden JP when it is not working correctly? Itís not just a day or so here and there, but months on end while effects do not work. At WW you can see the trees over the set and catch a glimpse of back stage during different effects. The overall look, feel and the atmosphere (both in buildings and in workers attitude) is dingy and less than appealing. Not to mention Universalís abysmal use of color and architecture. There is not anything in the park that is moving or compelling. I understand the film buffs interest in Universalís theme park, but it the park lacks a universal appeal. Universal has something no other park in the world has; they have not effectively sold it nor have they effectively exploited it.

Perhaps a major shakeup like this will be good for Universal. I hope that Universal looks at making the park a public walk thru. The idea here is to remove the turnstiles and charge by the ride. That would force Universal to keep their attractions in good working order and as their utility diminishes they would be forced to update and replace. At the same time they could mix shopping and other entertainments into the existing park and create a very revolutionary form of themed entertainment development. From the UCVision site it appears that this is the very form that they may be shooting for. I personally think that this is great use of the park and the property. I look forward to watching Universalís growth.[/font]

In reply to the ideas above, I think that you have valid ideas. However I don't think that the plan is feasible nor does it make good business sense. Your ideas while creative and well thought out do not take into consideration the massive construction that would have to happen. I would also question if there is space to do what you are talking about. The park would likely have to close for an extended period and at the end of the day I don't know if the ideas would benefit the park.

A major problem with Universal is the top heavy management and the vast amount of employees it takes to run the park. With more attractions and more stuff the oversight and management would expand exponentially. Would it be a fun park if we look past these hurdles, probably, but it would be very similar to Six Flags and LA does not need another Six Flags.

Universal has to stand out from the crowd. It isnít Disney and it isnít Six Flags. Itís not going to be Disney and it does not have the space to be Six Flags. Not to mention anything that happens on the upper lot must not impact the lower lot and studio operations. I think the challenge is looking at the problem, the true constraints of the property, location and designing a solution take makes good use of the property.

So perhaps this might be an interesting challenge for you. How would you keep the park open while making the changes? If you could not expand, how would you restructure the park and what would you change? Keep in mind that currently the support services for the park are exceptionally limited. Also getting any construction equipment in or out is a major challenge in the park. Unlike Disney, the park has major access problems in many areas. Universal was not built with a master plan. The other issue I will again mention is that anything that occurs on the upper lot can in no way effect how the studio operates.

Thatís for the post. It has been a very interesting evening considering your ideas and looking at Universalís master plan. I look forward to debating this issue further.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast