•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

How Long to Spend in USF/IOA?

Hi.. yoyo and I are going to WDW in July, and since I have a free ticket, we are going to go to Universal and IOA for the first time ever (maybe my second, I don't remember). We were goi to wait until Harry Potter opens but this deal is too good to pass up.

The question is... how long will it take us to do the parks? Please note that a few of the bigger coasters we won't be riding. Would we have enough time to eat a sitdown breakfast at WDW and still do everything in one day?

Also, how long is the drive between WDWand USF?

Thanks for any help or advice!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

Re: How Long to Spend in USF/IOA?

The drive is probably 20-30 minutes without traffic.

As for how long, honestly, to do both parks the right way, I'd say 1 1/2 days. (seriously).

But ... since you don't have that, I'd still take a full day, skipping the breakfast at WDW and instead do this.

Start your day at IOA:

First head to Spiderman, try and get more than 1 ride on this. TRUST ME, you will want to ride it more than once.

If you don't care about Hulk, then you can skip it and then head to Seuss Landing.

Do the Cat N' the Hat ride and also the sky-trolly. Work your way around and do Dueling Dragons if you want, but you may not like it if you don't like coasters.

While in the area, make lunch reservations for Mythos. It's quite simply one of the, if not THE best in-park restaurant. Seriously. You won't be dissapointed (and which is why you don't want to have a big breakfast).

I've heard mixed things about Sinbad and Poseiden's Fury, I haven't seen them, but you may want to check it out.

Then make your way around to Jurassic Park, Dudley Do Rights and Popeye's. Then since you will be close again, take another ride on Spiderman if you wish.

Have your lunch at Mythos and then head over to the Studios park.

Since the new coaster probably won't interest you, I would head for Mummy first. It's a coaster, but not intense, and it's VERY fun. If you've done the tram at Universal Hollywood, you can skip the earthquake ride.

Jaws is supposed to be really good (we didn't get a chance to do it when we were there). After Jaws head to MIB which is AMAZING. You will probably want to ride this a few times as well.

From there you can head to Simpsons and ET. Also don't miss out on the stuff near Mummy like Twister, Shrek 4D and ESPECIALLY Jimmy Neutron. Even if you don't have kids, and don't watch NICK, it's a GREAT ride. One of my favorite in the park.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Gregg's advice sounds totally "right on". Spiderman can be intense feeling, but it really is an experience you won't easily forget.
    Make sure you eat at Mythos....puts Disney to shame.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

I would suggest you splurge on the Express Pass so you can take all of the rides with minimal wait. But why rush it? I would give each park one day.. especially at IOA. It's so well themed, for a non-Disney park that is.
    Keep in mind, the most popular ride this summer will the Rock it! Coaster at USF.. brand new and looks like a great high speed musical ride with intimidating initial lift and drops. Over at IOA... bring a 'clothes change' bag so you can do all the water rides, get soaked, then change into dry clothes to enjoy the rest of the park. Honestly, you do not want to walk all over with a soaking wet arse. Very uncomfortable, but the water rides are fun and should not be passed up.

Blog Entries

Both parks are great. If you have Express Pass you can get both parks done in a day, but don't rush it. Really take the time to enjoy all the scenery.

There's a few things I want to make sure you hit because they're too good to pass up.

In IOA: Jurassic Park, the two water rides (if you don't mind getting wet, which you will), Spiderman are must do's.

In USF: The Mummy, Jaws, MiB, Simpsons, ET, The Horror Makeup Show, The Blues Brothers show are all things that shouldn't be missed.

I love both of these parks and have actually spent more time in them recently than Disney. If the new coaster is open at USF enjoy it although I'm really annoyed at how its hurt the sitelines, it does look like it'll be fun.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the help!! It's awesome It was hard enough to get Jeff to agree with 1 day so we won't have any more than that. BUT we are DEFINITELY going back when Harry Potter opens so we can catch whatever we miss at that time. I didn't realize there was so much stuff - the Web site makes it look like there aren't very many rides.

As for coasters, I don't like going upside down on the whole, so no Hulk or Dueling Dragons... are there any others? I'm actually a huge scaredy cat - all the Disney rides (except Indy) are ok because I've ridden them so much but I know most of these rides are gonna scare me hardcore. LOL That mummy ride... it isn't like the one at USH where they have actors come out and scare you? OMG I went on that ride having NO CLUE and ended up hanging onto some random guy the entire time, sreaming LOL

We will also probably want to ride the Simpsons more than once!

That express pass sounds good buy can you buy it separate of admission? I have a free ticket (week pass) so I won't be buying a ticket for me. The info on the site makes it seem like you can only buy it when you buy a ticket?

Ohhhh and TY for the name of the restaurant - I'd forgotten, but i was going to ask about that one... I remember it from all the TRs and really wanted to go!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I've always been able to do both parks in just one day. Go to the park that opens earliest and do the main attractions you want to see. Then run over to the other and see your main interests there.

You really don't have to go more than one day to Universal. But they are both great parks!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It's about a 20-25 minute drive from WDW to Universal (if you go out via Hotel Plaza Blvd as it's practically right next to I-4).

The only coaster that doesn't go upside down at IOA is the Flying Unicorn, which is actually a kiddie coaster. I personally love Dueling Dragons. The queue is one of the best non-Disney themed queues you will EVER see. It's really that good.

The Cat in the Hat darkride in the Suess Landing area of IOA is really cute. I really love that whole section as it's just festive and not a straight line in the whole area.

I haven't done Spider-Man yet (wait... that sounds dirty), but I heard it's really awesome. I plan on doing it next time I visit for sure. I don't do water rides (I *hate* getting wet), so I couldn't tell you a thing about the ones at IOA.

At the Studios, Men in Black is awesome. It puts Buzz Lightyear to shame. Really. My friends & I went on it like 4 times in a row. They were still building Mummy last time I was there (it opened later that year). I'm anxious to check out the Simpsons ride. The video I saw of it had me in tears I was laughing so hard. And I definitely want to check out the new coaster when it opens (because I'm a coaster nut).

I'm actually burned out on WDW right now (I know... shock, horror), so I'm doing all the other parks I've skipped out on for awhile this year. I went to Busch Gardens this past weekend. And I want to hit Sea World and Universal sometime this year too.