Blog Entries

Islands of Adventure Original Artwork Tribute

Islands of Adventure Original Artwork tribute

As Islands of Adventure builds the highly anticipated Harry Potter land, I thought it would be fun to look back at the original concept art for the park, including some areas that are soon to disappear as the Wizarding World is constructed.

When Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park opened, everybody was stunned: would Universal finally be able to build a theme park with a Disney quality details and construction?

There were good reasons for Islands of Adventure's Disney look - as many of the park's creators were former Disney Imagineers and they did a really good job on IOA.

The park is indeed beautiful, and here is a "portfolio" of some of the artwork done for each of the park's lands.

These two first renderings show an overview of the park and the entrance.

See all artwork in BIG size and read the full article with a LOT of gorgeous high-res IOA original artwork on the Disney and More Blog HERE:

Disney and more: Islands of Adventure Artwork and video tribute

You can also read it - and discover the new great Disney and more Artwork section where thousands of original WDI artwork awaits you:

disneyandmoreartwork: Islands of Adventure Artwork and video tribute

Then head back here and let us know what you think about IoA and if you'll be sad to see some of it disappear for Harry Potter. Enjoy!

• Yes?

Re: Islands of Adventure Original Artwork Tribute

I agree that IOA is very well themed and done. It is a little messy and cramped right now in that back corner where Harry Potter is going in but still great. And I'm sure it will be all worth it when that section opens.

I remember going to USFL when they had the preview building all set up where you could even hop up on an animal from the Carosuessel. I need to find those pictures. That building is now the queue line for the Mummy ride. I actually said to my husband when we rode Mummy for the first time last month that I remembered the preview center being in that building. We are heading to the resort this weekend for one last time before school starts back. This is our first time staying at Royal Pacific so I can't wait to explore the hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Shablagoo!

I am a big fan of IOA. I first went in September of 1999. It is my favorite theme park (tied with Disneyland) and favorite in Florida overall.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It's funny. NNL and I went for the first time this past trip, and we weren't impressed at all. That concept art looks great, but I don't think IOA has that level of theming. Some parts are indeed fantastic, but others are sorely lacking...

Interesting to see other people's reactions. And, FTR, we are planning on giving it another shot when Harry Potter opens.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    It's funny. NNL and I went for the first time this past trip, and we weren't impressed at all. That concept art looks great, but I don't think IOA has that level of theming. Some parts are indeed fantastic, but others are sorely lacking...

Interesting to see other people's reactions. And, FTR, we are planning on giving it another shot when Harry Potter opens.
    I agree. While I LOVE IOA, it certainly has areas which look like they ran out of money. They also have perhaps the best theme park attraction ever built, Spiderman. Clearly, Universal has the ability to match Disney in the attraction and theme department. HOWEVER, they fall short because they don't finish the job. This park is blotchy at best, but it is still fantastic.

On the list of best Orlando parks, I'd place it between Animal Kingdom and above Disney Studios in quality.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Epcot's my fave park!

coolness i should go there it's been ages since universal hollywood next up orlando (not been there yet-I'm workin on that-my family might be livin in FL again yay)
    Epcot rocks! I luv Capt Jack Sparrow, alongside Will & Elizabeth!
    twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
    myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
    Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
    youtube.com/svhwdwnut

• Minion

I Love IOA. Sometimes at work, I put on the official soundtrack and take another tour around the park! I'll be going again when HP opens too. We stayed at the Portofino, but I think we'll try the Hard Rock next time. Evilqueenrocks, I'll be interested in hearing how your stay at the Royal Pacific was.
    I want my cake back!

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    I Love IOA. Sometimes at work, I put on the official soundtrack and take another tour around the park! I'll be going again when HP opens too. We stayed at the Portofino, but I think we'll try the Hard Rock next time. Evilqueenrocks, I'll be interested in hearing how your stay at the Royal Pacific was.
    I plan on taking many, many pictures of the resort. Now if I can only figure out if that report belongs in the other theme parks section or the Orlando travel section.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueenRocks View Post
    I plan on taking many, many pictures of the resort. Now if I can only figure out if that report belongs in the other theme parks section or the Orlando travel section.
    Any Orlando Hotel review would go in the Orlando Hotel section and the Universal trip report would go in the Other Parks section under Universal Studios.

I'm looking forward to your reports and reviews as well!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Any Orlando Hotel review would go in the Orlando Hotel section and the Universal trip report would go in the Other Parks section under Universal Studios.

I'm looking forward to your reports and reviews as well!!!
    Heehee...I was hoping you'd see that and give me an answer.

We were just at Universal last month so hopefully I can get some newer and more interesting pictures for you

I have been twice and while I enjoy it, I found it a bit overrated in relation to many of the raves that I had read on line.

I don't care for the lay out as it is very inefficient to bounce around the park. I really enjoyed Spiderman and it is certainly the highlight of the park but other attractions were very disappointing. The whole Jurrasic Park part of the park didn't do it for me. Harry Potter will certainly be a boost.

I always tell people to try to make time in a long visit to Orlando to get to IOA.
    The Mur

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    I have been twice and while I enjoy it, I found it a bit overrated in relation to many of the raves that I had read on line.
    Agreed 100%
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• keep moving forward...

So what exactly is being replaced to make room for Mr. Potter?

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    So what exactly is being replaced to make room for Mr. Potter?
    Essentially nothing - the new ride and Hogwartz (essentially the same thing) will take the place of a previously empty expansion pad. Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn are being rethemed but the physical ride will not change - I suppose you could count the Enchanted Oak Tavern as being replaced with the Three Broomsticks, but no matter. The area itself takes over the Merlinwood sector of the Lost Continent.

More on topic - Islands of Adventure is my personal favorite theme park in the US, tied with Disneyland Park. It's got some incredible rides, amazing theming, and one of my favorite restaurants to date (Mythos)... and you just can't beat an early morning ride on Hulk or a night-time ride on Jurassic Park. That said, there are three areas where they clearly ran out of money - Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, where a higher amount of theming should've been implemented but clearly corners were cut; the ride area of Dueling Dragons, again, cut corners I'm guessing; and finally, the lack of adult attractions in Jurassic Park... once again the culprit is a cut budget. Ah well, the park's still fantastic and can always improve.